Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old School Rock

Options
  • 24-07-2005 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

This is a thread for everybody who likes old school rock, blues-rock, and some real rock & roll.

bob dylan
    chuck berry
    johnny winter
    arlo guthrie
    little richard

its good to look through the archives to years back, thats when all the good stuff came out, the best stuff.

the 50's was the birth of R&B (r&b is NOT whats coming out of your tv's nowadays, it stands for rhythm and blues)
    the 60's was the birth of white mans rock & roll
    the 70's was the birth of rock
    the 80's was the year everything died.
    the 90's was the slow painful continued death
    the 00's are um...*cough*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

woah woah woah, everything did not die in the 80's, I dunno why ppl say that!! the 80 had a galaxy of great bands!, the 90's and 00's are absoulte tripe tho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Music is dead. No classics are being made anymore. Will we be listening to the hits of 2005 or the hits of 1979 in 2025

the 80's were great though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Marts wrote:
    woah woah woah, everything did not die in the 80's, I dunno why ppl say that!! the 80 had a galaxy of great bands!, the 90's and 00's are absoulte tripe tho

The 80's had some amazing music indeed, but christ lad, the 90's gave us some phenominal music altogether! Opeth formed in the 90's ffs.

Grimes wrote:
    Music is dead. No classics are being made anymore.

That's absolute bull**** of the highest order. There's plenty of great music out there, you just have to look around. Look past the filth in the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

That's absolute bull**** of the highest order. There's plenty of great music out there, you just have to look around. Look past the filth in the charts.

Direct me... PLEASE!!

• Advertisement

Grimes wrote:
    Direct me... PLEASE!!

Tell me what you're into and I'll give some recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Grimes wrote:
    Music is dead. No classics are being made anymore. Will we be listening to the hits of 2005 or the hits of 1979 in 2025

the 80's were great though

Hmm wonder was there people in 1979 dreaming of 50's music saying classic bands were gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 OutlawBlues

the 80's did have some great music but the 80's is the decade where everything died. slowly throughout the whole decade. you know what i mean?

the 80's did have some great music but the 80's is the decade where everything died. slowly throughout the whole decade. you know what i mean?

No, I don't know what you mean. Nothing died in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Music is far from dead. By saying that rock reached its peak with the very first wave is like saying painting hit its peak with cave drawings. There is lots of great music out there if you bother to go look for it. If you limit yourself to one genre and one timeline then how will you ever find new music that will challenge and entertain you. Every decade has its great music as well as its ****. If you think the 90's and 00's has nothing that will be remembered then your ears are closed.

• Advertisement

the whole revolutionary attitude dies in the 80's and towards the end, rock(in my opinion) took a turn for the worse.

yeah there were good bands in the 80's, all through the decade, that didn't change with the times.

also, i like quite a few bands that are out there now, and theres so many unsucesful bands playing now that are great too. but the music industry has gone to the pits, then to hell, then it was f*cking thrashed around a bit by guys who dont know how to turn the disortion off on their guitars, then some girls with perfect bodies, big tits and nice a**es danced on top of it with razor sharp high-heels.

Is it music itself or the industry that you have a problem with? What you seem to be describing is pop ****e that no one really accepts as being cutting edge.

the music industry is churning out sh*t music, and these 'musicians' are making more money than they deserve. they should be asking 'whats the weekly salary for eye-candy?' and then theres unknown bands that are making no money, and they work hard to create great music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

am i mistaken or did rage form in the 90's? and the 80's? youve got maiden, metallica, slayer etc (sorry i couldnt think of that many)

i dont like those bands

but like i just said, there's about 95% crap nowadays. (im not saying those bands are)

so people please read what i say before giving out because some bands you like were in the 80's.

so people please read what i say before giving out because some bands you like were in the 80's.

Yes, and you said that music died in the 80's. People have a right to disagree with you, and as this is a discussion board, they can discuss their opinions whether or not they agree with you.

but like i just said, there's about 95% crap nowadays.

And how is that different to any other time? Nothing has changed. In the fifties not every artist was as good and original as the ones you mentioned. Most of the recording artists would have been hired by the industry because they could ride on Chuck Berry's success, just like now. Bob Dylan is one of very few brilliant lyricists, he is not representative of any time just like Neil Young, Leonard Cohen and Nick Cave aren't. They do not reflect what the masses listen to. You seem to think that only now is popular music going down the drain, popular music has always lived in the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

You gotta ignore all that mainstream crap (though not all of it's entirely crap) and hunt around for some lesser known artists.

(most)Chart music is dead, music is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Exactly. Turn off your radio and dispose of your TV because you won't hear good new music on either. There have been some truly visionary bands since the 80's, not that the media would inform you, however. The main problem is, the ones who are doing something new, something inventive, are pushing at the extremes of music. There is little point in rehashing the same three chords and further plundering the corpse of the blues, it's been done to death and then done to death again. Much and all as I like the White Stripes, they aren't really doing anything new, they're just making a new audience aware of old music. To survive music needs to grow and the genres that have excited me since the 80's have pushed the limits of rhythms, tonality/atonality and melody beyond the standards of the 50's. This has required advanced musicianship which is something I truly enjoy appreciating. Some people don't like extremes, some folks thrive on it. It would be foolhardy to criticise either, suffice to say there is room for traditionalists and innovators alike and one doesn't need to be exclusive of the other. Rock music was born out of the blues but it didn't stop evolving in 1969, it pushed out and changed. Personally, I think that has been (largely) a good thing.

Viva la evolucion!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, rock moved up a gear in the 80's and early 90's. Not much happened for the mid-90's if you ask me (unless you like grunge) but things seem to have been really picking up in the last 6-7 years. Metal is on the march and I think in the next few years its going to surface properly. I can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

I dunno,
    ....Id say 99% Of music I hear out there..is crap alright except Rush of course :)...hey they were the best in the 70's, the 80's and the 90's!!!..heck their still the bleeeding best around :p ...

but hey Im not being biased ;)

ciao' my frustrated rock amigos..Baggio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

There are other bands out there Baggio!

...Baggio?

Hello...?

Ah, never mind ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

There's always quality music out there, regardless of your tastes. The only problem is that the mainstream media will not be playing it to you. You have to go out and find it yourself. True, that means you may end up listening to an awful lot of shìte in the process, but if you're a real music fan, it will be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Hey Doc,
    ...yeahh - ya may, may!..be right :)..but you know me ol mr fussy head..I did like that OHM cd ya sent me, their a talented bunch, but i dunno every other band i come across are just soo dissapointing, and in many cases so samey as each other...just seems great musicianship and the use of open sounds rather than the ol "hey its the marshall distortion sound or nothing" kind thing is almost vanishing , maybe Im wrong at least OHM seemd prepared to mix things up and make it interesting eh? .know what I mean?

anyway hey did ya get the new kit yet??..still after a Tamburo?> would be nice to see it up close when ya get it...an excuse for yerself Goran and myself to talk musical blabb anyway at least :D

ciao' amigo...Baggio.....

Advertisement