Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a car

• 24-07-2005 9:43pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the UK and I'm considering moving to Ireland perhaps for a year or three. I own a Daf 66 which was registered 17/4/73 and would consider importing it with me should I decide to go. What I'd like to know/confirm is the following.

a) I understand a car over 30 years old from first registration pays €50 VRT and then an annual road tax of about €44(?)
    b) The car is exempt from NCT.
    c) Would the insurers require some paperwork on an ongoing basis to say it wasn't a deathtrap?
    d) Any restrictions on use?
    e) Can be my only vehicle?

Under current UK rules it has to be MOT'd (£42.10) annual, road tax is £110 and insurance would be around £125 for fully comp, unlimited mileage, only car (being over 30 years old). I'm still working on getting the date of manufacture confirmed as I believed it was built in 1972 (VED Historic vehicle tax-exempt). Now if this was the case, and I left it UK registered, how often would I or the vehicle have to leave Ireland to comply with the law of visiting exemptions?

Cheers,
    Rich

1969 Reliant Regal 3/30
    1972/3 Daf 66
    1978 Austin Maxi 1750
    1981 Austin Maxi 1750 HL Auto

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Interesting car Rich, especially in view of my own Dutch background it's rare enough to see people's interest in the former Dutch 'variomatic gearbox' DAF cars. I know these cars very well as they were around everywhere when I was a kid.

In view of your questions, you should have no problems bringing in the car. If the documentation clearly shows it was first registered in 73, it's over 30 years old and should therefore be only 50 euro's to register it in Ireland.

Moreover, because you are going to take up residency in Ireland, you are actually allowed to bring in any of your vehicles and register them without charge, because they are part of your personal belongings and they are therefore exempt. Only restriction is that you will need to have owned the car for more than 6 months, and you are not allowed to sell them for a year.

There is no NCT requirement for cars over 30 years, which I personally feel is a bit iffy, because at some of the shows you see cars and wonder how the hell did they manage to even get there!! let alone partake in traffic with other road users!!! I think your insurance company will require a certificate of roadworthiness, but this is generally a quick piece of paper that can be filled in by your mechanic of choice. They sometimes don't even bother to check wether it was done by an SIMI certified mechanic.

Unfortunately you will have serious problems trying to insure the car as your only vehicle, because most of the insurance companies will insist on it being your 2nd vehicle, to qualify for reduced insurance/limited mileage scheme.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hey Rich,

As Paul said it is more difficult to get a classic insured as an only car, but you can. A couple of insurers (see sticky thread top) will allow you insure it as your main car. It won't be as cheap as a genuine policy - maybe for you £300 (?) but at least you get a 10K mileage allowance.

And yeah your motor tax will be €42 pa.

G'luck!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Thanks for the info so far.

What does a Reliant 3 wheeler come under in terms of registration? Is it a bike / trike / car?

Think I'll have to delay bringing my two Maxis though. I think the tax would be cheaper here at £170 each p.a. about half what I pay. I suppose I could bring them in and out "just visiting"?

Advertisement