Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange one

• 24-07-2005 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

My family has 2 computers in the house!One is in a converted shed out at the back garden and one is in the house in the front bedroom.

We only had one netopia modem and today i acquired a second one off a mate cos I got sick bringing the modem back and fort between my dads pc and mine.Now both modems are connected to their pc's.

Is it possible to have both of them working at the same time and share the internet connection?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

barnes2k wrote:
    My family has 2 computers in the house!One is in a converted shed out at the back garden and one is in the house in the front bedroom.

We only had one netopia modem and today i acquired a second one off a mate cos I got sick bringing the modem back and fort between my dads pc and mine.Now both modems are connected to their pc's.

Is it possible to have both of them working at the same time and share the internet connection?

No. You cannot have two modems on the one line simultaneously. Best option is a network of some sort. Maybe a wireless router placed midway in the house between the two pcs might do but it is hard to know for definite. How far into the garden is the shed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

No. Only one BB modem can be connected to the phone line at any one time.

<edit> Note to self Must type faster :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

You should have done a bit of reading before investing in an expensive router.

Replace your new router with a network switch and enough Cat5e cable to reach the second PC.

Simply crimp the cat5e ends...connect through the switch and youre done for about 25% of the price of a second router.

Advertisement