Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning Unix ( Go easy on me )

• 25-07-2005 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Hi, im trying to learn Unix for possable job promotion.
    I have read loads of manuals, done the coursework, but what i really need is a Unix Account. Is there anywhere in Ireland that offers a free Unix Shell account?
    I dont need admin rights or anything, just a chance to put some things into practice. I know there is a SDM Shell, but it is TOO restricted, you cant change directory without the Admin emailing to ask why etc.

Thanks in Advance,

Sub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randomhuman

You'd learn more by installing it. I don't know anywhere in Ireland that offers shell accounts, but you might try sdf in the US: http://www.freeshell.org

Also, cygwin was once recommended to me, but I've never used it.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

As this is for a promotion - it'll easily pay for itself in less than a month...

Buy a second hand pc. Not a powerful one, a P2/P3 will do, and wont cost more than a couple of hundred euro.
    Install ubuntu linux (blatant pimpage :) ... choose any distro that you think would suit you (check the stickies, or wait for another answer here, but I recommend ubuntu :) ) and just play about for as long as you need to!

It has a nice and dandy GUI interface, but once you have the system up and running on your home network (if you haven't got one, then invest in a good router ... again - it'll pay for itself) and force yourself to only login remotely via ssh - putty )

That way you'll learn a hell of a lot in a very short amount of time, and we're always here to lend a helping hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

at least get a debian based distro, so that you can use apt-get. But i'd second ubuntu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

cygwin is horrible IMO.

I second the idea of installing it. You couldn't have a better way of learning tbh. Just try not to use windows for a while. You'll learn a huge amount very quickly.

I also learned a good bit by reading books (lots of things in linux just don't come without reading tbh....that's one of its biggest failings, and one of windows greatest strengths). There are free ones available online now. Check online free libraries and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mach

Get a live distro like Knoppix, boots from the CD Rom.Below is a link to where you can download it .
    Knoppix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

you can get a live version of ubuntu aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

You could always just install VMware http://www.vmware.com/

The offer 30 day free trial versions.

Depending on hd space/mem on your system you could install more than 1 unix system and have a mini network going on your pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

Thanks all for your help!

I had installed Redhat 7.3 on a nonbrand pc, and was trying to run CS:S server on it, and that thought me a lot, but i do like the idea of getting/having a linux box here, and networking it with my server and 2 pc's
    I have a Dell Poweredge Server, i may even install linux on that to experiment with. Can i share resources on the Linux pc with windows boxes?

Or should i keep server 2003 on it, and make a pc connecting to it linux?

Cheers

Sub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mach

Yeah you can ,i have never done it, you use SAMBA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 oslin

Try here for some tutorials,
    http://www.linux.ie/articles/tutorials/
    or even join the Irish Linux user group mailing list.
    http://www.linux.ie/community/mailinglists.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

/me pimps gentoo.
    well for learning purposes, its great, you will learn lots, doing an install.

Advertisement