Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to racers!

Options
  • 25-07-2005 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    After many years of being content with my mountain bike, I decided to trade in for a racer (Thanks v.much Frank Drebin!) and am looking forward to doing some nice cycling. While originally I just wanted to trade for the sake of a bit of extra speed on 20minute cycles etc., now Im thinking of taking it that bit further and doing some long distance runs. My experience with cycling is relatively limited...I would use a bike everyday, but only for short cycles, ie to the shops etc, with the odd medium-ish distances every now and again. So, my fitness would be ok-ish.

I like the idea of hostel-hopping my way down the country a bit, for a few days. Even just a short distance, with a stay over and back the next day. Im from Dublin.

So, does anyone have any tips for a cyclist in my position? Any suggested cycle trips that would suit me aswell? (except for Wicklow because I am too familiar with it). Also, if there are any group-trips planned that would suit me, I would be very interested aswell (if I am not jumping the gun of course!)

Regards
    -Cian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

If you can at all, get used to the new bike first. Your body is making small adjustments to the new position you're using and over exerting will result in something being stressed.

Long spins are easy as long as they are performed at a sustainable pace, as long as you have sufficent liquid and digestable food with you. Further have a well serviced bike, spare tube and pump.

You may find medium distance is 50 miles, aiming at 15,16 mph - 3 hour spin. But maybe you should test your mettle doing an out and back 2 hour spin first - without the bags and stuff that'll make life tougher!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks Uber.
    Even in my very limited practise with the new bike, I have noticed small exertions to new places on my legs, that were not effected with my old bike. I will take your advice into serious consideration.
    Thanks again

Advertisement