Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Licence while-U-wait?

Options
  • 25-07-2005 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'll be doing the theory test for my bike provisional in a couple of weeks. I was hoping to head straight over to the tax office on Chancery Street and get the provisional there and then.

I always just handed in my provisional & full licence applications in the past and waited for them to arrive via snail mail, but heard somewhere that some tax offices now make up the licence if you're prepared to wait for it, any truth in this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

it think they will but only if you have a test within a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Got my first provivional in cork while I waited. Got a replacement for my first provisional in cork while I waited. Had to get my second in a hurry, my test was coming up, I was living in galway at the time so went into the motor tax office in galway, was given a reciept and told it would be posted out in about 2 - 3 weeks, explained my situation, showed them the letter, was told they'd make a note of it and prioritise it, got a phone call saying they had no evidence of the test, called in again showed them the letter, they tried to keep the letter and were promptly told to just make a copy and return the original and get their collective asses into gear and sort it. Eventually I got the license the day before the test. On passing my test I waited 'till I was back in cork, went in in person and was given the license there and then.

The motor tax office in cork had the license issued in about the same time the galway office took to issue a reciept and say the license will be posted in a few weeks time. The problem is archaic work practices, most likely a concerted effort to preserve thier overtime at the expense of the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

anybody know what the story is if your 2nd provisional has expired for around3 years and you have never applied for a test?Do i need to just apply for a test to get a new provisional issued or will i be going back to provisional number 1 again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

no apply for the test and they will give you your 3rd licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nuttzz wrote:
    no apply for the test and they will give you your 3rd licence
    Restricted to 1 year naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

murphaph wrote:
    Hi all,
    I'll be doing the theory test for my bike provisional in a couple of weeks. I was hoping to head straight over to the tax office on Chancery Street and get the provisional there and then.

I always just handed in my provisional & full licence applications in the past and waited for them to arrive via snail mail, but heard somewhere that some tax offices now make up the licence if you're prepared to wait for it, any truth in this?
    I did my theory test today to get my bike provisional. Not in a mad rush so I will just post it all in I think.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ah well, I don't thik it's gonna matter about a 2 week wait anyway. Apparently Carole Nash don't ask for a copy of the licence when taking out insurance with them. That was the only reason I would have wanted it ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

you will only be issued over the counter if a) impending test. b) proof of foreign travel.

you will be issued a receipt which will have your driver number on it so that often does for the insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

bullrunner wrote:
    anybody know what the story is if your 2nd provisional has expired for around3 years and you have never applied for a test?Do i need to just apply for a test to get a new provisional issued or will i be going back to provisional number 1 again?

5 years after lapsing you will revert to provisional no.1 otherwise proof of app for test.

Advertisement