Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disk brakes

Options
  • 25-07-2005 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

hey, i'm new to this forum, i did a search for my problem but came up with nothing.

I bought a Claude Butler Pagan with front and rear disk brakes about 9 months ago, and in the last month or two the front disk has been rubbing off the pads ( i assume) and causing a whining noise.

This only happens at very low speed or when i'm pushing the bike along. I'v tried to adjust the pads but even when they are widened to their fullest i get ths noise

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

you probably have a bent disk, it happens my mate aswell and that is the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

cheers fat tony, just one more question, are they expensive to replace, cause I'm a poor student

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Well I know it was costing him 50 quid for a new disk, but he is running a 3000 bike. I doubt a disk would cost that much on a claude butler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

www.chainreactioncycles.com and you should be able to pick up whatever you need fairly cheap. Free shipping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

before you order the new discs, try and gently pry the pads apart. I had a similar problem with the pads rubbing off the wheel, and it only seemed to happen at low speeds. For me, it was caused by pulling the brake lever when there was no wheel on. This caused the pads to close too much. To solve this, I removed the wheel (making sure not to pull the brake lever) and I slotted a flat screwdriver in between the pads and levered it softly against either pad so as to put them back to where they should be. This was recommended to me by one the guys in Cyclelogical. I don't have the problem anymore.
    Now, someone else might come along and say that this isn't really the best thing to do, but hey, it worked for me.
    If this is what you have already tried when say that you adjusted the pads, then I guess new discs could indeed be the way to go.

KR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Are you sure the pads haven't worn down to the metal?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

What type of brakes are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

If they're not hydraulic (i.e cable actuated) they'll have a manual adustment for both alignment (often the cause of rubbing) and pad wear.

Play around with them and see if you get any results. ;)

You should also spin the wheel and do a visual check on the disc (similar procedure to checking to see if a wheel's buckled/needs truing)

good luck!

Advertisement