Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GTi

Options
  • 25-07-2005 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Just wondering if any of you have/have had any experience with a Golf GTi. I am considering getting a 2001 1.8

25yrs old and being quoted around €1300 for the insurance.

Any major problems with this car that I may not be aware of? Any idea what the fuel consumption is like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There was a major recall for dodgy coilpacks on VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda cars with the 1.8 20v and 1.8 20v turbo engines. Make sure that if the car you're buying was affected, that the replacement coilpacks have been fitted. Apart from that you've got the usual MK IV Golf electrical gremlins like central locking with a mind of its own and bulbs that need replacing every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

A friend drives one and he told me what the mpg is like but I can't remember exactly. I think it's in the low 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kevodaly

I've a 2002 golf gti 1.8T for almost 2 years.
    Had to replace 2 coils - they should've been replaced as part of that recall but the first owner obviously didn't bother.
    Has been to the dealer twice - first time the emissions light kept coming near the end of a tank of fuel. Secondly for a faulty boot lock.

MPG - average around 25mpg. Depends on your driving style though, but its thirsty.

Its a great car to drive though - lots of power and very well finished inside. I'd highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Isnt the TD-GTi supposed to be much better & faster ? Stick an oul chip in it and youll be hanging with Sti subarus and RX7's etc nae bodder ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

528i wrote:
    Isnt the TD-GTi supposed to be much better & faster ? Stick an oul chip in it and youll be hanging with Sti subarus and RX7's etc nae bodder ;):D

Not quite and I can vouch for that from experience with one trying to keep up ;)

Gti is lovely to drive, but a bit of a guzzler alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The PD 150 is very good, not as fast as an STi but will beat it through the gears, and will keep up until silly speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

celtic2004 wrote:
    Just wondering if any of you have/have had any experience with a Golf GTi. I am considering getting a 2001 1.8

I have driven the naturally aspirated 1.8 GTi - with only 125bhp, it's a slug. The turbo is a better car, but not quite as good as the Leon Cupra or the Octavia vRS, both of which are cheaper, more powerful and have livelier handling. The MkIV Golf is a bit of a lard ass.

If you can find the GT-TDi it's a cracking car, and should have lower insurance costs than the GTi.

Mk IV Golf interior is streets ahead of Leon, Octavia or MkV Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

I have an Octavia vRS, same engine with 180 Bhp, on a long journey with good roads you could easily get 40 mpg (probably 45 if driven easy). Average backroad driving would be around the 30mpg mark, all depending on how hard you want to push it.

Hey ds20prefecture, don't forget the MASSIVE BOOT.

Theres info on the coil pack issue on www.briskoda.net, its very easy to check which rev number is on the car, the bad rev numbers and New replacements are docuemented on briskoda.

Advertisement