Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL or Smart?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Would the upload speed of only 128mb be ok for gaming?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Would the upload speed of only 128mb be ok for gaming?

People seem to more concerned about pings than upload speeds but if you are not happy with the 128 then Smart have the
    answer for you.

Yeah i saw that but im haveing a hard time convincing my mom to get get the basic package.Is the basic packeage good for gaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

128K is good for gaming

most of the time however
    dont have anything else whatsoever on the line
    that better not be a 54-man server you are playing on lol
    or even using teamspeak for example, very common with games,
    hence yes, it will ostly be ok, but you are still a bit restricted on what extent you can enjoy all that gaming can utilise

pings would be the same, provided the 128 upload doesnt get choked in the first place lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Yeah i saw that but im haveing a hard time convincing my mom to get get the basic package.Is the basic packeage good for gaming?
    If you're not sharing the connection with anyone at the time, the basic package should be fine for XBox Live / PC gaming.

Otherwise consider the new 256k upload product.

• Advertisement

Yeah but the thing is there is nothing(that i can think off) that she does with the internet that will benefit fromthe extra up load.Would i be ok downloading music at the same time as playing online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Yeah but the thing is there is nothing(that i can think off) that she does with the internet that will benefit fromthe extra up load.Would i be ok downloading music at the same time as playing online?
    Christophicus,

I understand this is a NTL vs. Smart conversation, but from a Smart perspective:

You are most likely paying two line rentals at present. So for one line you're paying €24.18 a month (standard line rental). For an additional €10.82 a month (€35 -€24.18) you're getting 2Mb/ 128K a month. That's 35 cent a day! For 53 cent a day you can get 2Mb/ 256K.

I'd move away from thoughts regarding downloading music AND playing games and figure out how to persuade your family that you'll be a better: person/ citizen/ student/ workhorse/ etc for 53 cent a day.

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

JNive wrote:
    128K is good for gaming

most of the time however
    dont have anything else whatsoever on the line
    that better not be a 54-man server you are playing on lol
    or even using teamspeak for example, very common with games,
    hence yes, it will ostly be ok, but you are still a bit restricted on what extent you can enjoy all that gaming can utilise

pings would be the same, provided the 128 upload doesnt get choked in the first place lol.

I play planetside with teamspeak and find no problems with it. I'm on BT Ireland 2Mb Plus

TimTim wrote:
    I play planetside with teamspeak and find no problems with it. I'm on BT Ireland 2Mb Plus

Whats the upload speed with the bt Ireland 2mb plus?

Christophicus,
    I understand this is a NTL vs. Smart conversation, but from a Smart perspective:

You are most likely paying two line rentals at present. So for one line you're paying €24.18 a month (standard line rental). For an additional €10.82 a month (€35 -€24.18) you're getting 2Mb/ 128K a month. That's 35 cent a day! For 53 cent a day you can get 2Mb/ 256K.

I'd move away from thoughts regarding downloading music AND playing games and figure out how to persuade your family that you'll be a better: person/ citizen/ student/ workhorse/ etc for 53 cent a day.

Garfield.

I know its really stupid that my family wont change.we are using Eircom 60 at the moment and vartec so we would actually be saving about €20 a month with the basic smart package which is the one I am trying to get them to get because I dont see anything that will benifit them with the extra upload speed.

Will I have super smooth gaming with 256k upload ?i might just pay the extra euro myself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Will I have super smooth gaming with 256k upload ?i might just pay the extra euro myself!

There are xBox approved ISPs with only 128K uploads. If MS reckon 128 is acceptable, then 256K should be 'super smooth'.

Garfield.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You could always start with the 128 and upgrade afterwards it it wasnt super smooth enough!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

There are xBox approved ISPs with only 128K uploads. If MS reckon 128 is acceptable, then 256K should be 'super smooth'.

Garfield.

Garfield you know well that it's more to do with latency, Jitter, Peering, QoS and such stuff rather than bandwidth :) Granted minimum bandwidth is required...

Advertisement