Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to build a kickass PC for gaming - advice on parts needed

Options
  • 25-07-2005 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I've been looking around trying to find some info on how to get the best gaming PC possible for under €2000, but find it very daunting.
    I can build it from parts, but would prefer to buy it off the shelf. I guess BF2 is the benchmark at the moment.

Have any members any advice on what i should go for or can point me to some up to date links.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

If you want to build you could get a great PC for €2000 (do you need monitor/keyboard etc?)

<edit>try this shopping list on Komplett</edit>

Or if you want to buy go to the Dell Outlet (www.dell.ie/do) and buy an XPS system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

2000 will get you some high quality components for the machine.

Pay attention to the Case, power supply, cooling etc.

How good is your technical knowledge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Well need to no a few things. Are u going to be needing a monitor/keyboard/mouse, or just the actuall pc components. Those 3 pieces can add a lot to the total figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Ya Dell seem to be moving PC's with X850XT in them for quite a good price.Can't believe i said that-i need a shower i feel dirty.

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's a pity the rest of the system is crap.

And Dell use bottom of the line OEM parts. I could throw them several orders of magnitude farther than I would trust them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

Thanks for the answers.
    My technical know how is fairly good, but not when it comes to gameing hardware.

I have the monitor, mouse, keyboard, Hard Disk etc already.
    I only have DDR ram in my current PC. Which is Dell.
    Would rather not go for a Dell again, as upgrading is difficult.

Crisis, well then for around the 2000 price mark u are going to be able to get the best of just about everything :eek: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

That shopping list is cool.
    Thanks for the link Wizzard.

Put this together very quickly, what do u guys think?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.asp

:)

EDIT>> Hm that link didnt work :(.

https://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp

Here it is :)
    Comes to 1833

• Advertisement

Wizzard,wouldnt u think it would be better to go for the better Cpu/mobo/ram??

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Wizzard,wouldnt u think it would be better to go for the better Cpu/mobo/ram??
    No idea what your shopping list is since you haven't linked correctly. Click on Share list and copy the URL that is displayed on the page. Mouseover my link above for an example of what it should look like.

Maybe, CPU, mobo and RAM are the only things of my list I would change, but I didn't look too hard either. Was in a rush this morning. Damn Monday mornings!

http://tinyurl.com/dccef

Whoops, my bad, there she is.
    I think its crazy getting the 7800, the perfommance gain is just to little to justify that crazy price :eek: . The Radeon X800XL is going to do a good enough job, well actually are very good job for like half the price, and that way u can get the better cpu/mobo/ram.

Hmm. Good idea, but the 7800GTX allows SLi at a future date. Might be handly for a gamer?

Anyway, your RAM won't work. It's DdR2 when Athlon64 only supports DDR(1).
    No need for 2 hard drives - esp when the second is only 80Gb (SATA2 doesn't matter yet, better off getting a Raptor for speed. not need in this setup I'd imagine anyway). The DFI might be a bit of overkill. It's really an enthusiast board and thus comes with some baggage! Better to go for a board with less of an OC allowance but less hassle to set-up/maintain. eg. ASUS A8N-SLi
    I don't like the case much, but that's personal preference! :D

An X2 is nice, but maybe not needed for just gaming. He's better off going for a single core CPU and better graphics since the X2 won't make a difference in games for about 6 months, or at least til the new Unreal engine come out and gets used. I think it's mutli-threaded.
    Plus you haven't included a 19" TFT and mouse/keyboard which I have, so I could prob include better CPU etc by removing that. I'll do that now.

<edit>List number two. I've gone dual core with this too, since money was to spare ;) I would advise you to get RAM and OCZ PSU from http://www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/ instead, especially if you would intend to go SLi this year (Komplett don't stock the god stuff!)</edit>

<edit2>In fairness, I would envy the system in that shopping list + OCZ 600W PSU and Geil PC4000 RAM</edit2>
    <edit3>Or buy (most of) the system in my sig (w/o monitor)-Current boards.ie 3dMark05 Champion System!!! for €2.4k :)</edit3>

Yes, u are probably right about the mobo :o . I think if he is spending this much money on a the system he is not gonna want to upgrade any major parts any time soon, hence the X2. That is going to carry him at least 2/3 years which for this money is what it should do.
    Didnt check out the ram properly, stupid me.
    2 harddirves is always very handy, but that is going to depend on the person buying this i think. If he has tons of mp'3/movies/............etc, he is going to want a seperate hdd to store that stuff, away from the operating system ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Wizzard, what'd you get in 3dMark? Gonna try and run you a marathon for your money! Soon as I get my motherboard back..althought my RAM is fairly crap but it's not the worst. Methinks I should get a nice score, specially when I clock up the 7800 and 55.

Anyway, back on topic.
    This setup is more or less the same as mine, bar a few things. And for under 2k you can't really go wrong!
    RAM though, I think you should probably take Wizzard's advice on that one. Although you'll probably want 2gb of the stuff to make BF2 run nice and butter smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Dunno if this has come up but im reckoning the 7800gt is a power hungry mutha with those 20 pipes. Read its only a marginal increase in the 6800ultra?????????????
    Thats CPU is a hungry power beast so i hope you get a lump of a PSU. KW PSU are very close ......................BEWARE:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 90nm £164.44

VapoChill Micro Extreme Performance £28.14

Asus A8N-SLi Premium £135.07

GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC4000 UltraP £105.69

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 200GB x2 £131.48

Leadtek GeForce 6800 GT 256MB PCI-E £217.32

NEC ND3540 16x16 DVD±RW (Black) £31.49

OCZ PowerStream 520w £112.51

Antec P180 Advanced Super Midi Tower Case £99.82

£1,025.96 GBP = €1,485.87 EUR

Overclockers.co.uk

Much better setup for the money in my opinion.

Spike wrote:
    Wizzard, what'd you get in 3dMark? Gonna try and run you a marathon for your money! Soon as I get my motherboard back..althought my RAM is fairly crap but it's not the worst. Methinks I should get a nice score, specially when I clock up the 7800 and 55.
    No chance of getting near me with a single 7800GTX. Score is here

• Advertisement

Oh we'll see...

If you get over 10k with ONE air-cooled 7800GTX I will buy you (many) pints!

Haha, you got yourself a deal!

And er...if I happen to melt the card in the proccess, you'll buy me a new one right?

I just dont think that 7800 is worth that extra money, its so bloody expensive. You no that when u buy so soon after release u are paying about 30% more than u should :rolleyes: , its crazy. The 6800 Gt would do just as good a job without, and at a later stage when the prices on those came down u could get a second one.

I just dont think that 7800 is worth that extra money, its so bloody expensive. You no that when u buy so soon after release u are paying about 30% more than u should :rolleyes: , its crazy. The 6800 Gt would do just as good a job without, and at a later stage when the prices on those came down u could get a second one.

Ahem.
    WizZard wrote:
    If you get over 10k with ONE air-cooled 7800GTX I will buy you (many) pints!

Nuff' said like. :)

I dont think this guy is going to care what 3dmark score he gets :rolleyes: , he just wants to play games with high detail etc........................ and a 6800gt is going to provide that without taking a huge chunk of his budget away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Yes but Spike-v-Wizzard should be fun :D

Why not get the FX-57 over the 55?

Indeed this should be fun. Although I've been browsing through the 3dMark 05 scores and this may well prove to be...not impossible, but f*cking hard none the less. Unless I watercool/phasechange the 55, but I'm extremely broke at the moment so that won't be happening!
    But I've never admitted defeat and I ain't gonna start now!

airetam, I assume you were directing that at me? Didn't get it because:

a) - Way too expensive, and it'll be redundant in a fairly short time.
    b) - I'll be throwing in an X2 next year (assuming it's needed then) so this is just to keep me happy until then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Why are people spending money when the new socketF's will be out next year?

\edit\ http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/09/amd_socket_m2_desktops/

\edit2\ Whoa just saw this on Jes
    Product AID: 20963 256MB MSI NX7800GTX-VT2D256E PCIe
    Sorry for no link but jes is qware

• Advertisement

There's no point waiting for technology. When the Socket F's come out, there'll be a new announcement, ad nauseum.
    Same with graphics cards and most other computer hardware.

Advertisement