Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to build a kickass PC for gaming - advice on parts needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Back on topic here, snotnose, are u gonna buy a pc or not. I get so sad when we all go to this trouble of figuring out the best system and then never hear wat the person actually got or if he even got anything at all :rolleyes: . Let us no wat goes down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Dunno if you've seen this just thought id throw the cat among the pigeons.

Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Dunno if you've seen this just thought id throw the cat among the pigeons.

Come on m8, we have been given 2 grand to knock about :p , and we want self build :D .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Can i have my "dream spec"?

DFI Lanparty SLI DR, four WD Raptors in RAID 0, 1GB of OCZ PC5000, PC Power and Cooling 850W SLI PSU, NEC 3540, Audigy X-Fi...and alot more.

But you get where i'm going.

WizZard wrote:
    If you get over 10k with ONE air-cooled 7800GTX I will buy you (many) pints!

I'm getting good overclocks on my XFX 7800GTX, 475/1280...stable. Not tested higher as yet. Added additional cooling to the refrence design though.

I mean, if you had a San Diego 3700+ and OCZ PC5000 on a DFI you could get over 310HTT...mad overclocks and bandwidth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

What extra cooling did you add? Out of curiosity...

I had two packs of copper RAM sinks on hand. So applied them the the backside of the stock cooling design. And a pack tiny heatsinks applied to the front of the card.

Does help, and my intake fans blow across the card as well. I am waiting for the XFX Extreme Edition bios to go online and flash, hopefully it'll be stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Come on m8, we have been given 2 grand to knock about :p , and we want self build :D .
    Sorry i was thinking 2Gb and a decent card and maybe a huge sound system and a cracking monitor.Oh well. Ya build it. More fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

Thanks Guys for all the hard work,
    Now my little mind overloaded with info. I'm definitely leaning towards Wizzards spec but am still trying to get it right in my mind. Was hoing to order one today but im off on holidays on Monday for 4 weeks, so maybe given all this to think about, i'll order after i come back from holidays.
    A friend of mine has just ordered your shopping list Wizzard :)

Both of us want to get into playing games again. I haven't played games much since i spent 4 years on the top floor of DCU CA labs playing Doom and Duke Nukem. Those were the days. Don't think i ever saw a lecture room.

Shevy, i was looking at yours, but unfortunatly i cant get the vat back on a second hand machine, not that you are chargeing vat, but you know what i mean.

One more thing.... Do all the cables and screws for the self build come with the components?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

A friend of mine has just ordered your shopping list Wizzard :)
    :D I should get a cut from Komplett at this stage! ;)
    One more thing.... Do all the cables and screws for the self build come with the components?
    Yes.

• Advertisement

Yes but Spike-v-Wizzard should be fun :D
    Hehe ;)
    Why not get the FX-57 over the 55?
    Too expensive. The FX-59 is out Q1 2006, plus the FX-57 only OC's roughly the same as the FX-55

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm getting good overclocks on my XFX 7800GTX, 475/1280...stable. Not tested higher as yet. Added additional cooling to the refrence design though.

I mean, if you had a San Diego 3700+ and OCZ PC5000 on a DFI you could get over 310HTT...mad overclocks and bandwidth.
    You'd be better off dropping the clock and tightening the timings.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

put it all together and booted up fine I put a gig of the ram too,
    but as soon as I started playing battlefield2 on all high which I got it for.
    8 times out of 10 it crashes to desktop or reboots and that goes for farcry too but not as much. I have been weeks searching for answers and updating everything, dropped the settings to medium and was fine but that was the reason I spend so much.

@simonp1:
    Start a new thread for this. List all your components and the settings you are using. Also list the drivers you are using; versions, etc.

We'll try to help.

Will do, system info from sisoft sandra whatever its called should list everything you need to see what could be the problem. If so Ill do it tonight and post tomorrow.
    thanks

No, system info from you is better. eg. what you bought.

This is easier for people to go through, at least it is for me.

If you have changed any settings in your BIOS then you need to put that into your post too.

Example here: (not real)

AMD64 'Venice' 3200+ (VDimm: 1.45v, FSB: 220, Multi: 8)
    OCZ PC3200 Rev. 2 (2.8v, 1:1, 2-3-4-8) Also other settings if you have changed them, eg. drive strength etc.
    ATI X800XL (400/525) Core MHz/RAM MHz

Screenshots of CPU-Z would be good too, the main tab and the memory tab.

ok will do cheers
    Simonp1

BIOS MEM 490.00
    Current MEM 492.75

Monitor/Panel: Dell P991
    Adapter: RADEON X800 Series (Omega 2.6.53)
    Adapter: RADEON X800 Series Secondary (Omega 2.6.53)

thanks
    simon

Pop it into a new thread so more people can see you have a problem, and help (or point and laugh, but mostly help)

And also add normal CPU and RAM settings too. You've just got GPU & Graphics RAM settings there. Cheers

Advertisement