Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 2 doing my Bongo In!

Options
  • 25-07-2005 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭

Right this is really getting on my bongo at this stage and I'd really like some advice.

I'm getting decent pings to UK and Irish servers but when I connect my ping will spike up into the 300-400's plus for a few seconds every minute or two. Obviously this is beyond annoying. I've checked everything as far as I can tell, I've scanned for viruse's,spyware,opened ports, the lot and it's still the same. It's only started this silly nonsense in the last week or so.

Please has anybody got any suggestions?

I've got a 4meg Eircom line, running through a Linksys Wag52 router, I'm running AVG and Sygate as my virus and firewall.

Cheers Lads

Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Could be firewall check with it turned off! didnt EA mention to play BF2 without a Firewall? I dont do it myself and because of this cant connect to TIG servers but cant risk the LAN in my house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Thats Crazy Talk!!! Surely not. Please compromise your network so you can run about like a muppet getting "pwnd" by 12yr olds.

Hmmm, this requires invesitgation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Big Nelly wrote:
    Could be firewall check with it turned off! didnt EA mention to play BF2 without a Firewall? I dont do it myself and because of this cant connect to TIG servers but cant risk the LAN in my house!!
    Actually, they said to disable your anti-virus.

Disabling your firewall is just stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

the_syco wrote:
    Actually, they said to disable your anti-virus.

Disabling your firewall is just stupid!

Got mixed up! sorry!! its been a long day in the office :confused:

Yeah I disabled the anti-virus stuff allright.

I'm based in sunny downtown Rathmines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Could it be Punkbuster trying to update at the start of a match? Head to www.evenbalance.org and get the pbweb.exe and manually update it beforehand.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

calhob_ie wrote:

I've got a 4meg Eircom line, running through a Linksys Wag52 router, I'm running AVG and Sygate as my virus and firewall.

Chris

Is that a wireless router?If so sounds similar to the problems I was having when I got BF2.Ping spikes all over the place,connection problems etc.Changed back to ethernet and the problems have disappeared and never came back.
    I put it down to the wireless being too slow to send/receive info from the game.Anyway might be woth a try to go back to a cable.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I assume that 4 meg Eircom line is from their business product line unless the 4 was a typo. Don't their business products have interleaving turned on full which effects pings. Interleaving is important for data transmission integrity and reliability which is important to business but the downside are worse pings which are important to a gamer but not to business.

It is a wireless router but I use a cable connection to it.

What is this interleaving of which you speak though? I've got a business package allright, Broadband Business Plus at the moment. Can I just give Eircom a bell and get them to "turn it down"?

Cheers

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Calibos wrote:
    I assume that 4 meg Eircom line is from their business product line unless the 4 was a typo. Don't their business products have interleaving turned on full which effects pings. Interleaving is important for data transmission integrity and reliability which is important to business but the downside are worse pings which are important to a gamer but not to business.

yup seems like your interleaving is on !

;-)

• Advertisement

Right just spoke to Eircom, parrantly its a 3meg line, even though the letter they sent me said it was going up to 4. Anyway, interleaving could affect the connection, although in fairness its only in the last week or so that I've been having this problem. And its on by default and can't be toned down on a per user basis.

I've already updated punkbuster to the latest version as well.

Cheers

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

calhob_ie wrote:
    Right just spoke to Eircom, parrantly its a 3meg line, even though the letter they sent me said it was going up to 4. Anyway, interleaving could affect the connection, although in fairness its only in the last week or so that I've been having this problem. And its on by default and can't be toned down on a per user basis.

I've already updated punkbuster to the latest version as well.

Cheers

Chris

me can smell Eircom pooh pooh ! tell tem you WANT IT OFF, it can be switched off !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

type "ping server Ip -t"

into cmd prompt to be sure, they wont turn interleaving on or off they gaurantee speed only not pings.

kdjac

WHAT!!! The amount of cash I pay out I want, nay I demand, a mighty ping of doom!

Well thats a bit crap then isn't it, so I'm banjaxed on the battlefield front then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i just got the full version of bf2 last night and brought for a 10 min test run before going to bed and i noticed the same thing happening. Using Eircom's netopia wireless router. Grand pings, running arouund like a looney of all these new maps and suddenly it would get a jerky as hell for a couple of seconds then back to normal. and me more than likely dead. Never had this problem with the demo before. will investigate more tonight.....

You do have your net connection set to 256 and not T1 ?

kdjac

It is, I reckon shouting at it might be the only option now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

First off im on Esat Business 1024/256 (fastpath).
    I also have the linksys wag54 router (i think, if not something like it). I also connect through ethernet and not through wireless (wireless for rest of house, not my gaming machine).

I too had a problem like this (ping of 15 with spikes now and then to 400), but only on the TiG servers. Dunno what i did to fix it (may have been disabling firewall on the router tho not sure. I still have my software firewall enabled). I havent had it in a while however so it may have just been a conicidence that it stopped around the time i disabled the firewall (did it for another reason).

Ignore them saying its your interleaving. Interleaving does increase your pings but it does not make it spike. Your ping should be higher but steady(as long as network aint overloaded or other probs which is unlikely on a (i assume) business line).

As kdjac says, make sure you have your network settings in game set correctly.

Of course pings can also be affected by your pc having to working extra hard (eg mid heavy fire fight) which causes your ping to rise as pc doesnt communicate as often with server in some games. Dunno if this is the case with Bf2 however, as i dont know much about the games engines... all i know is that its a cracker of a game.

Calibos wrote:
    This is complete sh|te, tbh, me thinks. I have Eircom's 4 meg line, and get a ping of 10 on IOL's servers, and between 20 and 40 on the UK servers.

I'm using a Netopia Cayman 3347W wireless router, but I'm using the ethernet connection (as opposed to the wireless link).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

u on business syco? cos if u are they changed their policy

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote:
    This is complete sh|te, tbh, me thinks. I have Eircom's 4 meg line, and get a ping of 10 on IOL's servers, and between 20 and 40 on the UK servers.

He is correct Eircom go for speed over latency.

kdjac

B-K-DzR wrote:
    u on business syco? cos if u are they changed their policy
    Yes.

=-=

To the best of knowledge, at the start, there were two options, one for gaming, and one for data. Seemingly they got merged, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

actually, as far as i recall from my eircom training (which isnt much) they WONT turn interleaving off cause its too much hassle, and as i was told in my training "noone asks for it anyway, except gamers...and who cares about them??"

Advertisement