Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL2QR1L Shelbourne FC -v- Steaua Bucharest (Contains Celtic scores)

• 25-07-2005 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Well, Steaua come to Dublin expecting an easy game, just as Hajduk Split did last year, although they are a much different prospect than Split.

Tolka should be full for the game, I myself have had one or two Romanians asking me abut tickets, and about Shelbourne too. The seem to be confident about their teams chances.

I feel if we can keep a clean sheet then we'll be doing well. Steaua are under new management, and have played and won five pre season friendlies, conceding in each game. I know friendlies don't mean anything, bu it is the only current from they have. They claimed some natable scalps in their UEFA Cup run last season though, Valencia being one of them.

Shels totally capitulated on Friday evening, allowing a 2-0 lead against Bray Wanderers turn into a 2-2 draw, the players did not seem up fot it at all. I am confident that they will give their all, heart and soul in this game, and the second leg next week.

Their are still tickets available, so come on peeople, get out and support your eL Champions in their Champions League game this Wednesday.

FORZA SHELS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

As a neutral, i really hope they can place themselves in a good position for the second leg and hopefully not concede. Don't know anything about Steua to comment about them. Does anybody know anything about their form over the last season or two. i notice seansouth mentioned they beat Valencia in their UEFA Cup run which is a bit worrying, do you know how far they got in the UEFA Cup last season seansouth. Good Luck to Shels, they have done Irish soccer proud in Europe, lets hope it continues!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

http://www.steauafc.com/nou/index.php?cat=rezultate&campionat=Cupa%20UEFA&etapa=1/8%20final
    Looks like Villareal beat them in the Quarter Finals last season.

Here's their results from last season's UEFA Cup
    [b]Qual Rnd[/b]
    FK Zeleznik - Steaua  	 	2 - 4  	
    Steaua - FK Zeleznik 		1 - 2 	
    [i]Agg 5-4[/i]
    [b]1st Rnd[/b]
    Steaua - TSKA Sofia  	 	2 - 1  	
    TSKA Sofia - Steaua 		2 - 2
    [i]Agg 4-3[/i]
    [b]Group Stage[/b]
    Steaua - Standard Liege         2 - 0
    Parma - Steaua  	 	1 - 0  	
    Steaua - Besiktas  	 	2 - 1  	
    Ahletic Bilbao - Steaua  	1 - 0  
    [b]Last 16[/b]
    Valencia CF - Steaua  	 	2 - 0  	
    Steaua - Valencia CF 		2 - 0	
    [i]2-2 agg, won on Pens I assume[/i]
    [b]Last 8[/b]
    Steaua - Villarreal  	 	0 - 0  	
    Villarreal - Steaua 		2 - 0
    [i]Agg 0-2[/i]

They seemed to concede a lot of goals in the earlier rounds. Could bode well for Shels maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

its gonna be a tough game either way, we'll need the crowd to be the twelfth man, and based on our current form, we'll need a 13th man aswell!

c'mon shels!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

What makes you think that Steua are "coming to Dublin expecting an easy game"? I would imagine that they've looked Shels up, done their homework, and will know who to close down, and who to keep an eye on.

they had a decent UEFA Cup run last season, they did concede in all their games apart from the second leg with Valencia and the first leg with Villareal. They reached the last 16 of last years competition so they seem to have good pedigree in Europe, will be a very tough tie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

We need to make a lot of noise in tolka. was very encourage by last weeks showing, some decent pass and move ball shown. More please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Up Shels ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

it says in the Indo that Steaua have stopped saying they expect an easy game like they did after the draw. Shels really put away Glens and I think Steaua know the tie wont be easy. I think Shels will defintely score at home, the only thing that worries me is our defence. If we can keep a clean sheet I think we can defintely win the home leg.

Friendlies mean nothing, no one takes them serious and if Shels were going into this game with 6 friendlies instead of competitive games I wouldnt be to hopeful.

Im not in the country so I wont be able to make the game but everyone who can should turn up. Shels are really doing the league proud.

i got my ticket reluctantly from ticketmaster, workin all week so i couldnt get down to tolka before wednesday, i just hate bivin those bastards the extra 2 quid...

anyway, i'll be singin me brains out, steua were mouthing off after the draw about this being and east tie. hope the defence is nothing like it was against the glens, especially for that goal we conceded in tolka last week, disgraceful defending.

hoping for a shels with, and keep a clean sheet, i reckon the determining factor will be whether we can keep a clean sheet or not, cause they will score away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I'd happily take a 0-0, or even better a win - but there HAS to be a clean sheet. That is imperative in the grand scheme. If that means shutting up shop with 11 men on our line for 90 minutes then so be it! Hahaha! :D

Seriously though, I hope we play 442 and attack them, but we must be solid. I think we will see Heary and whoever plays leftback not making runs past the halfway line, as we do not want to be caught on the break!! It'd be ddifferent there, but with the away goals a clean sheet is a must, unless we can win 7-1 or something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

I'd love to keep a clean sheet tomorrow night but just can't see it happening. Just back from picking up a few tickets in Tolka and the man in the cubbyhole said they're selling very well. I refuse to pay Ticketma$ter a handling charge of €2 on a €15 ticket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Seems we're playing the Shels european tactics for this one, the old 4-1-4-1 with Jason Byrne in mid field. I think there is a massive, massive difference between Crowe and Fitzpatrick in this role and it will suit Crowe alot more. He is superb at holding the ball up and bringing others into play so this should suit him more than Fitzpatrick who found it very difficult last year and isn't nearly as good with his back to goal. I hope he doesn't play Cahill and leave Ndo out like people are saying, however. Ndo is our key man in Europe, he's one of the few mid fielders we have who can create space for himself and team mates and really use the ball effectively, Cahill has turned to crap over the past year.

A clean sheet would put us in a great position to progress but even only letting one in so long as we get one or more wouldn't be the worst result possible, with the attackers we have we could score anywhere so if we only let one in it wouldn't be a disaster, but a clean sheet would be ideal. And we got a clean sheet in every CL home game last year, so fingers crossed.

I can't see Ndo starting to be honest, he hasn't had much action recently and could be very rusty. I think this one will be a draw, I just can't see Shels winning it.

Even a rusty Ndo is better than Cahill, he has been rubbish for us for so long now.

Thought Cahill was OK in the Glentoran game, but then so were most. From the TV3 highlights, it looked like Bobby Ryan actually had a half decent game in Bray. He used to always lay well for us out there, but then crap in most other grounds. :rolleyes:

The highlights made him look far better than he actually was.

Cahill had a good first leg but was our weakest player in the second one imo and has not played two good games in a row in over a year now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Bateman wrote:
    From the TV3 highlights, it looked like Bobby Ryan actually had a half decent game in Bray. He used to always lay well for us out there, but then crap in most other grounds. :rolleyes:

Bobby Dazzler have a great game against Bray? You're having a laugh! He was poor yet again with his headless chicken style of playing football.

I will be shocked to see Ndo start. He has hardly played recently and had an injury the other night. Despite Cahill playing well in the Glentoran matches, the Bray match the other night proved how downhill he has gone as a player but TBH I would prefare him to paly rather than Jim Crawford. I'm guessing the team will be in a 4-5-1 however I can see Steaua scoring definitely on Wednesday deu to our leeking defence

My guess is the team will be.......

Delaney
    Heary Hawkins Rogers Crawley
    Baker Moore S. Byrne Hoolahan Cahill
    J. Byrne

There's no way he will drop Crowe, simply wont happen. He'll play Byrne right wing if he plays that formation.

Bobby Dazzler have a great game against Bray? You're having a laugh! He was poor yet again with his headless chicken style of playing football.

I will be shocked to see Ndo start. He has hardly played recently and had an injury the other night. Despite Cahill playing well in the Glentoran matches, the Bray match the other night proved how downhill he has gone as a player but TBH I would prefare him to paly rather than Jim Crawford. I'm guessing the team will be in a 4-5-1 however I can see Steaua scoring definitely on Wednesday deu to our leeking defence

My guess is the team will be.......

Delaney
    Baker Moore S. Byrne Hoolahan Cahill
    J. Byrne

I said half decent, ie he was involved in at least one of the goals, and looked like he made a few good runs.

To be fair he was actually involved in both and set up a Crowe chance, but he was woeful throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Delaney
    J Byrne S Byrne Moore Cahill
    Hoolihan
    Crowe

That is the Shelsweb guesstimated team after talking to PF. I'd swap Moore onto left wing and bring Ndo or Crawford into the centre. Otherwise decent.

cahill hasnt been the same since he was at cork city, such potential, its like he never has any confidence or somthin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Slash/ED wrote:
    There's no way he will drop Crowe, simply wont happen. He'll play Byrne right wing if he plays that formation.

So that'll mean Baker will be dropped? Don't think so, Baker was one of our best players over the 2 Glentoran matches. Baker creates on the wing Jayo won't

So that'll mean Baker will be dropped? Don't think so, Baker was one of our best players over the 2 Glentoran matches. Baker creates on the wing Jayo won't

Yeah, Baker will be dropped.

Byrne is a far better right winger in European football. Baker is not upto it at that level, we need the mid field to be able to retain possession as much as possible and Byrne was excellent at that when played on the right last year. Playing him there makes us more flexible too and there's no way he can justify or will want to justify dropping Crowe atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Would love to see a repeat of Hajduk last year. GWAN SHELS. :D

Is the game on TV tonight? I can't see it listed on Digiguide.

Mods, I don't know if I am even allowed to do this, but I am desperate at this stage.

I have an extra ticket for this game, and I cannot get rid of it. All of my mates interested in going are already going, apart from the one lad who let me down only last night.

Any other people are Shels fans anyway, and already have tickets.

Would anyone like to take my ticket off me?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Good luck to Shels tonight I hope they do our country proud!!

seansouth wrote:
    Mods, I don't know if I am even allowed to do this, but I am desperate at this stage.

I have an extra ticket for this game, and I cannot get rid of it. All of my mates interested in going are already going, apart from the one lad who let me down only last night.

Any other people are Shels fans anyway, and already have tickets.

Would anyone like to take my ticket off me?

You should be able to get rid of it outside the ground , just go up a little early ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Best of luck to shels, i've a feeling they'll win 1-0 with glen crowe getting the goal*

*I'm off down the bookies

LizardKing wrote:
    You should be able to get rid of it outside the ground , just go up a little early ...
    I got rid.

SteM wrote:
    Is the game on TV tonight? I can't see it listed on Digiguide.

It's not on mine either but RTE are showing it. Kick off is 7:30, not sure when their programme starts but no earlier than 7 anyway.

Slash/ED wrote:
    It's not on mine either but RTE are showing it. Kick off is 7:30, not sure when their programme starts but no earlier than 7 anyway.

Cheers, rte.ie is saying the coverage starts at 7:20pm on RTE 2. Will record it and watch it again depending on the result ;)

should be a great atmosphere in the ground tonight, should really help the team if all the supporters really get behind them

• Advertisement

i've no doubt it'll sell out, hopefully everyone will be belting it out i think we're gonna need it tonight!!!

i'll be there anyway nice n early!

F*ck me, wasn't expecting it to sell out like that.; :eek:

I'll be hoping for a repeat of the Deportivo away game last season. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Im expecting a 1-1 in a tie with some very nervy moments but a draw being the fair result .

Nice evening for a game of ball .... COME ON THE SHELS

Yeah, lovely evening, I'm off to soak up a bit of pre-game atmosphere now in a few minutes, see if I can have a drink with some Steaua fans, have a chat and that, then go and beat their team.

"We are Shels, We are Shels, We are Shels - We are Shels , We are Shels, We are Sheh-ells - We are Shels, We are Shels, We Are Shels - We are Sheh-els - WE ARE SHELLLLLLLLS"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I will unfortunatly miss :eek: the game due to a hurling match , will there be highlights on Eircom League weekly ?

Why not record it?

I don't know if eL weekly will have highlights, I rarely remember to watch that show as it is.

i', off up there now too!! FORZA SHELS!!!!!!! 2-1 to the reds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

seansouth wrote:
    Why not record it?
    Aye, I'm watching the Celtic game but will be recording the Shels game and just hope I don't hear the score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Be in your best interests not to read this thread anymore so:)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Celtic Game Spoiler
    Celtic losing 1-0

Shels game is very good , Shels very direct whilst Steaua are siilkier both sides have had chances but Steaua dont look match fit and i reckon both teams will score.

Cahill gonna cost Shels a goal if he doesnt track back, leaving big gaps behind him which Steaua copped onto.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

steuea look the more likely to score, Shels mullacking tactics just arent working.. ya know the ones... "we'll just kick them and hope for the best, then lump the ball forward"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Stupid ref, get your rulebook out.

7 minutes gone in 2nd half Shels yet to touch the ball unless clearing it , there be a goal coming and would have been of the season had that flick worked.

Not looking too good for them.

MUHAHHAHAHAHAH@ celtic.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement