Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL2QR1L Shelbourne FC -v- Steaua Bucharest (Contains Celtic scores)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Celtic Game
    I didn't see that Celtic collapse coming. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Haha it was hilarious, everytime i switched from the shels game there was another goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

shels are clinging on a bit at this stage. They will be doing well to keep a clean sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2 defenders on for 2 strikers sums it up.

Steaua got groove on 2nd half cant ebielve they havent scored.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I dont see how shels can beat these in romania, hope im wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

good result for shels :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I suppose Shels will be happy with the clean sheet, but I was a bit disappointed they settled for it so early in the second half. They were beginning to threaten at the end of the first and I thought they could have carried that into the second half at least for the first 15 or so.

Next weeks game should be exiting, plenty of stuff kicking off throughout the game tonight, a few scores to settle me thinks. Shels have it in them to win it, probably through away goals.

Hopefully Houlihan will be back, he can keep the ball and does give them a lot going forward. They will need that to snatch a goal over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

abs sh1te result, not happy at all. atmosphere was somthing to be proud of though!!

first of all the referee was a disgrace, let too many things go, from stampings to a blatent punch in the face. The ref turned around just in time and he and the drumcondra end caught him rapid - a blatent punch in the face! disgraceful refereeing.

next up is richie baker - the worsed half assed performance i've EVER seen in a reds game, unbelieveable. didnt give a toss. was just booting the ball as soon as he got it, didnt track back, a general all-round nightmare of a game. should deffo be dropped for the game next week. added nothing to the game, took something.

Pat Fenlon - disgraceful tactics. playing at home in a game in which he had a chance of winning and he plays what looked like 1 up front. and with no service and no runners, it might as well have been none up front. Nutsie didnt take baker off, should have brought on Ndo, and put on harris who just went on a rampage of fouling everyone.

Davey scouse was great tonight, as was young delaney. Heary just kept booting the ball up the wing every chance he got. cahill was alright, i've seen him worse. Thank god for the scouse or we DEFFO would have been beaten.

All in all a poor result, cant see us getting anything over there, even scoring. I'm soooooo dissappointed right now.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

VinnyL wrote:
    aThank god for the scouse or we DEFFO would have been beaten.

He was superb alright definite MOTM , but you were lucky to get a draw 2nd half they completley outplayed you and Fenlon had to ensure you didnt concede as after the 1st half in which Crowe and Byrne had chances they didnt put away it was obvious they werent gonna get one.

0-0 is a better result than i though you would get , only have to score one which be more than likley be from a set piece and its your favour.

Good game tho to watch.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Vinny wrote:
    Lnext up is richie baker - the worsed half assed performance i've EVER seen in a reds game, unbelieveable. didnt give a toss. was just booting the ball as soon as he got it, didnt track back, a general all-round nightmare of a game. should deffo be dropped for the game next week. added nothing to the game, took something.

What you would describe as a typical Baker performance then. The people who think he is, or ever has been, a player capable of playing at this level are deluding themselves badly.

Poor team selection even worse subs cost us. It was there for the taking tonight, they wont be so poor in Romania. Still, I'd have taken 0-0 before the game, but having seen them, with more belief from the manager we'd have a lead to take over with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

VinnyL wrote:
    abs sh1te result, not happy at all. atmosphere was somthing to be proud of though!!

first of all the referee was a disgrace, let too many things go, from stampings to a blatent punch in the face. The ref turned around just in time and he and the drumcondra end caught him rapid - a blatent punch in the face! disgraceful refereeing.

next up is richie baker - the worsed half assed performance i've EVER seen in a reds game, unbelieveable. didnt give a toss. was just booting the ball as soon as he got it, didnt track back, a general all-round nightmare of a game. should deffo be dropped for the game next week. added nothing to the game, took something.

Pat Fenlon - disgraceful tactics. playing at home in a game in which he had a chance of winning and he plays what looked like 1 up front. and with no service and no runners, it might as well have been none up front. Nutsie didnt take baker off, should have brought on Ndo, and put on harris who just went on a rampage of fouling everyone.

Davey scouse was great tonight, as was young delaney. Heary just kept booting the ball up the wing every chance he got. cahill was alright, i've seen him worse. Thank god for the scouse or we DEFFO would have been beaten.

All in all a poor result, cant see us getting anything over there, even scoring. I'm soooooo dissappointed right now.....

Agree with pretty much everything you say except I didn't think Davey was (or is) that good - I have the game recorded so I'll have to check back. Thought Hawkins was much better over the whole game. Baker was atrocious, how he wasn't subbed is beyond me. We missed Wes, hopefully he'll be back for the second leg. I hate to see Byrne wasted in the role he was given last night, he's a box player as far as I'm concerned. By midway through the second half Fenlon was obviously more concerned keeping a clean sheet last night than he was getting a goal and once Flemming came on I couldn't see Shels scoring.

Comment of the night goes to the old fella sitting in front of us who turned around towards the end of the first half and said 'sure these lads aren't great, they've only been European champions once'. Couldn't help laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So Shels fans, how do you feel your chances are in Romania next week?

From watching the game last night, I think that Steuea grew throughout the game, and always looked cofortable on the ball. Shels didnt seem to have any cohesion, couldnt put anything together on a regular basis. That said, and early goal for Shels next week, and itll really test Steueas confidence and ability.

It'll be very very tough for Shels, but quite achievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Good Game and good atmosphere , not the best result but Steua showed there class in the 2nd half very good at keeping the ball and passing - moving .. although they did not create too many chances overall. I think the 2nd leg might be a different game with Steua really upping a gear and going for it ... but ye never know shels could nick a 1-1 all draw and go through on away goals again ...

Thought Hawkins / Rogers were great , Crow ran his heart out on his own up front , was a little unsure of fenlons tactics of bringing Jason Byrne into midfield .. although in fairness Jason made some great clearences from corners. My main dissappointment was " WHERE WAS WESO ....??? " ... he could of made a difference , and was not even on the bench ..

i think its a step back for shels from last year to be honest, the looked a lot more together last year. the wage bill has doubled and the team spirit has halved...

i'm just disappointed that we didnt get somthin, it was there for the taking.

the crowd weree fab though, i was in the drumcondra end and the atmosphere was really brilliant!! hope the briogaid dearg can take that to romania to try and steal a result

• Advertisement

LizardKing wrote:
    My main dissappointment was " WHERE WAS WESO ....??? " ... he could of made a difference , and was not even on the bench ..

Out with a stomach bug according to RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Will be very tough in Romania. Shels main concern was to keep a clean sheet which they achieved but will be tough to break Steaua down in Romania next week. Rogers was MOTM imo, saved Shels with excellent last minute tackles and covering when players went out of position.

LizardKing - Wes had a stomach bug thats why he was there, thats the reason why Stuart Byrne was taken off in the first half as well cos he kind of had it but must'nt have had the energy.

yea mooshop that was the problem, at least weso will be our secret weapon over in bucharest. anyone else soo the fit romainian bird goin round interviewin the players? we we're givin her stick at one stage!

also anyone else notice that there we're NO RTE CAMERAS at the game, they we're all romanian ones??? and lots of em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Did not notice the Cameras ... saw big Pat Dolan up in the Commentry Box though ... Also anyone see that BLONDE presenter ( I think for Romanian TV ) who walked around the side of pitch @ half time , Freddie and Willo were messin and throwin the ball at her , very funny + she was *HOT*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

VinnyL wrote:

also anyone else notice that there we're NO RTE CAMERAS at the game, they we're all romanian ones??? and lots of em

You must have missed the big RTE truck outside the ground then Right beside the Richmond Road turnstiles.

And the bloke who does RTE News sport interviewing Ollie Cahil *I think* in front of the Drumcondra Road stand after the match. And who do you think was manning the cameras in the Riverside, or beside the TV portakabin?

In other news, Scouse was immense last night, didn't put a foot wrong and showed real heart and determination. I've got to say, the left side gives me real worry. Crawley/Cahill just doesn't work IMO, though Ollie did manage a few inviting crosses into the box. I can't believe Ryan stayedon the bench after that performance from Baker.

TBH, I think Shels showed they were afraid of Steaua last night, and thats the reason why the visitors were so comfortable in the second half. Its a real uphill struggle from here on in.

'Mon the Shels!

p.s. anyone else notice the blonde stunner in the white top on the pitch after the game, appeared to be working for Romanian TV (probably their topless weather girl). I'm in love... :o

• Advertisement

recklessone, those cmera had romanian TV stickers on the side, the ones up the drumcondra end anyway. there were 2 cameras with the romanain tv stickers, another one pitch side. your right i did miss the truck, but RTE were prob just providing the sat link for the romanians too, cause the only other RTE presence i saw was tony o donoghue interviewing cahill at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Good result and in a way Fenlon's hands were tied with Wes Hoolahan and Stuey Byrne being sick.

Still playing that 4-5-1 at home is not going to win you many matches. Shels did not press up the pitch enough and as a result Steue had easy possession.

Annoying to see Harris and Fleming come on. What about Gary o'neill and Fitzpatrick. :rolleyes:

I think they are capable of getting a goal next week with less hackers in midfield, but it will be difficult from the 2nd half performance of the Romanians.

Ratings
    Delaney 8 Excellent awareness and made that crucial save
    Heary 7 Solid and gave an attacking threat down the wing too.
    Rogers 7 good blocks
    Hawkins 8 Dominant
    Crawley 6 Poor disribution.
    Baker 6 Poor 2nd half
    Crawford 6 Limited player and never got on the ball enough
    Moore 6 Didnt see enough of the ball
    Byrne 7 Good in defence. Found it difficult in an unfailiar position
    Cahill 7 Did well on a few occasions but did not consistent for the whole game
    Crowe 7 Fed of scraps and really worked hard. Linked well with midfield on the rare occasions they played it too his feet.

Loads of room for improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Shelbourne were poor in attack IMO, but I do think they can get a goal in Romania. They need to get some confidence in attack though, they scuffed shots at goal more than once.
    VinnyL wrote:

The match officials were rubbish, especially the referee. Oh, and who was the Muppet in the crowd with the whistle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

There is loads of room for improvement. Does anybody know if Hawkins will be suspended cos Fenlon said after the match that maybe he needed 3 yellow cards to be suspended and they had to look in to it, anybody know for certain.

Anyway i think changes definitely need to be made. Im a neutral fan and dont know all Shels squad. Do they have good cover for Crawley cos Nicolita caused him problems all night and also his distribution was very bad and some of the tackles he made were very rash to say the least. Steaua's midfield caused Shels problems all night with the likes of Dica, Bostina and Nicolita. Iacob could easily have scored two goals and the player they brought on for him, Cristea, is young and looked a really good player when he came on.

Their defense will be hard to break down and Baker was very ineffective on the right and his crosses were very bad. Wes should bring a bit of creativity into the midfield if he's able to play next week. Also why is Ndo not being played. I havent seen him much but he looks a very good player and will bring a good physical presence to the midfield imo.

Alot needs to be changed before next weeks match if Shels are to progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

From Football365
    Shelbourne held Romanian champions to a scoreless draw in their Champions League second round first leg tie at Tolka Park. After a cagey first half during which Shelbourne had the better chances, Steaua dominated the second half but failed to make the breakthrough with the Republic of Ireland side producing a brilliant defensive performance.
    I agree with this.

gimmick wrote:
    So Shels fans, how do you feel your chances are in Romania next week?

It'll be very very tough for Shels, but quite achievable.

My thoughts exactly, though I'm very disappointed we didn't make it easier for ourselves tonight when we could have.

Where the hell is Joey Ndo? Does anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I only saw highlights but I give Shelbourne a decent chance in Romania .
    Both teams are likely to improve vastly and with a bit of luck Shelbourne could attain a score draw .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

im just back in ireland today. I was in heathrow and grapped the Irish times and just seen 5-0 and my heart sank. I rushed to the back pages and seen Celtic got wipped by ?WHO AGAIN?? :p

Then i seen the 0-0. To be honest Im happy enough with the result. I thought Steaua were pretty good, not great but slightly better than Spliit. Sure we could have got a goal but Steaua have to beat us and we only need a scoring draw in Romania. I wouldnt write Shels off yet and i think we have a very good chance of making it through to the third round.

Pity about the 4-5-1 at home, Nutsy is very cautious but it does get us places. We have to score out in romania though, i dont know if we can :S

I'd say nobodys writing us off at the minute, far from it, just disappointed we didn't get the advantage we could have got bring to Romania, which says alot about the progress we've made, drawing 0-0 at home to the former winners who last year knocked out Valencia and not being happy with it. The tie is very much alive and it's very possible for us to progress, frankly their defence and 'keeper did not look that solid so if we press we can get score out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Thought the keeper was excellent SlashEd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I think there will be goals in the second leg, but I think Steaua can nick it by one, maybe 2-1 or 3-2.

teams dont improve that much Bateman in the second leg. Steaua threw the kitchen sink at Shels and according to the media - looked completely out of ideas after the end of the second half. Both teams can improve on their game and i think it will be another draw but this time a scoring one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

teams dont improve that much Bateman in the second leg.

Yes they do. Deportivo did. Playing at home makes a big difference. IMO Steaua are capable of playing better. Shels are not capable of putting another performance that solid. I could be wrong, obviously nicking the first goal would make the task a lot more manageable for Shels, but if they don't even try to score, they're not going to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

You must have missed the big RTE truck outside the ground then Right beside the Richmond Road turnstiles.

I think that was just Pat Dolan's feed wagon.

Anyway good result for Shels. I don't think they can complain on the balanace of play. If they put in the kind of performance they did to Glentoran away then they might have a chance in Romania. Steaua whilst definetly on top in that game weren't exactly setting the world on fire so a score draw isn't beyond the realm of possiblity.

Thought the keeper was excellent SlashEd.

He's been excellent all season. Played in a league cup game and hasn't looked back since, probably the biggest success story for us this season.

I think while it is true Steaua will be a different proposition at home, we will hopefully be in much better shape too. Stuey Byrne wasn't right from the start and went off and he'll be back for the second leg, so will Hoolahan and maybe even Ndo, wherever he is. That's 3/4s of a mid field, it's a huge difference, and it'll make us alot better going forward.

Slash/ED wrote:
    I think while it is true Steaua will be a different proposition at home, we will hopefully be in much better shape too. Stuey Byrne wasn't right from the start and went off and he'll be back for the second leg, so will Hoolahan and maybe even Ndo, wherever he is. That's 3/4s of a mid field, it's a huge difference, and it'll make us alot better going forward.

thats my point. sure steaua will improve but so will shels and i think a scoring draw may be the very likely outcome.

fingers crossed though. i really cant wait for the away leg

A scoring draw would certinaly suit :)

The more I think about it the happier I am about it. I still think we should have showed more ambition in the first leg, but I'm confident we can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Pigman II wrote:
    I think that was just Pat Dolan's feed wagon.

Nah, did you not see the queue for Burdocks? Fat Pat was out back, shovelling smoked cod and rays into his mouth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the tie is well alive, i think shels will have learned alot from the spanish game away last season, they set out to achive a result the last night and that is what they got, a clean sheet and a level playing field to take over there. an away goal is so so crucial to shels, but i would not be surprised if they employ similar tactics the next night, try to frustrate steua and hit them late, like the split game at home last season. it will be a tall order, especially without hawkins and maybe an injury or 2, but the prospect of pulling off perhaps the greatest win by an irish club side ever in europe, should motivate them to a 1-1 draw(hopefully).

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    He's been excellent all season. Played in a league cup game and hasn't looked back since, probably the biggest success story for us this season.

yea delaneys been class all season alright, would have given him man of the match meself if it wasnt for davey scouses performance.
    teams dont improve that much Bateman in the second leg.

the only reason why steua will improve is cause there at home and shels are away, irish teams are usually notoriosly bad away from home. even though looking at cork last night they're the exeption to the rule!

Steaua threw the kitchen sink at Shels and according to the media - looked completely out of ideas after the end of the second half. Both teams can improve on their game and i think it will be another draw but this time a scoring one.

They may have been out of ideas in a way but they still had 2 great chances at headers towards the end which they put high or wide, they also had a chance at the start but Delaney stood up well and saved. They'll almost certainly score in the return leg and I'm if Shels play like they did in the second half on Wednesday they almost certainly won't imo. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

I have the game on DVD by the way if anyone wants to see it.

Shels play Rosenburg if we progress past Steaua. Its a good chance at making the group stages TBF. We could have got Man Utd FFS.

Stem, the fact is Steaua DIDNT score. And its not because of the lack of trying. They werent good enough to win.

As for away games, we have always done well away from home apart from very difficult opposition.

Stem, the fact is Steaua DIDNT score. And its not because of the lack of trying. They werent good enough to win.

They didn't score but they had chances and they won't keep on missing them if they're given to opportuinty in the second leg. Just because they didn't win on the day doesn't mean they weren't good enough to win, I was at the game and they were imo.

ireland had spain on the ropes but at the end of the day its all about who puts the ball in the net and not hypoteticals. Shels know a scoring draw and were through. Steaua have to go all out for the win and are going to be exposed.

According to their infulencal manager the tie should have all be wrapped up in the first leg in Dublin. Obviously that was all Pete Tong.

It's a 2 leg tie, only half time and while Steaua got better as the first game went on Shels seemed to get worse. Steaua don't need to go all out for a win, they need 1 goal and to keep a clean sheet and have 90 minutes to do it.

• Advertisement

shels just have to keep it tight and hit them on the break stem. BELIVE

SteM wrote:
    It's a 2 leg tie, only half time and while Steaua got better as the first game went on Shels seemed to get worse. Steaua don't need to go all out for a win, they need 1 goal and to keep a clean sheet and have 90 minutes to do it.

If that is their mentality we're there. I pray to god they go out to win only 1-0, it only takes one moment and they go from winning to loseing.

Slash/ED wrote:
    If that is their mentality we're there. I pray to god they go out to win only 1-0, it only takes one moment and they go from winning to loseing.

I never said that's what they were going to do. I said that because jollyrodger made it sound like they'd have to go all out to win and leave themselves exposed, which they don't.

You were at the game I guess. Did you not think they settled and improved as the game went on? How do you think Shels did as the game went on?

It was as much down to Shels increasingly defencive tactics I thought. I really didn't think they were anything special and didn't exactly carve us open. I do feel they will be alot better in Romania but we'll hopefully be a different team then too, we could have 3 out of 4 different mid fielders back and available, that is a very, very big difference.

Slash/ED wrote:
    I really didn't think they were anything special and didn't exactly carve us open. I do feel they will be alot better in Romania but we'll hopefully be a different team then too, we could have 3 out of 4 different mid fielders back and available, that is a very, very big difference.

Fenlon might choose to start with a 1, 4, 6 formation with that many extra midfielders available! ;) Hopefully having Wes back will make a difference, he's bulked up since last year and isn't brushed off the ball as much as he used to be. They didn't carve Shels open but even saying that they did didn't play very well and still had chances to win it in the second half.

I truely hope that Shels can go through btw, I'm just don't think that Fenlon has enough faith in the teams ability to go with an attacking system over there. Shels really NEED to go through because at the moment it doesn't look like there'll be any European football at Tolka next season, nevermind CL football. They have to make the most of it - and make as much money from it - while they can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement