Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

m50:cameras?

Options
  • 25-07-2005 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

on the m50 between the dundrum/ballinteer entrance and the knocklyon exit heading northbound there are 2 huge poles with what appear to be cameras at the top,they are at the side of the road,anyone know what they are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I presume they are traffic monitorin cameras.....dear god i hope they are otherwise i should expect a few points in the post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Also worth looking out for the fake trees that are actually mobile phone masts. There's 2, at least, on that stretch (although don't be looking too hard and crash!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 johnniekewl

fake trees?never seen them before,
    trafffic monitoring cameras?why would they have 2 on such a small stretch of road?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gorm

I've noticed new cameras outside the Spa Hotel on the N4 outbound. The're on a gantry with what appears to be one camera for each lane. Didn't think you needed 2 cameras for traffic monitoring. And just last week thev'e been joined by 2 more cameras on the inbound lane just before the fixed speed camera on the side. Why would you need 1 camera per lane? Noticed the cameras seem to have aerials too.

fake trees?never seen them before,
    trafffic monitoring cameras?why would they have 2 on such a small stretch of road?
    I presume cause it's such a busy stretch of road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

the cameras on the gantry are for traffic monitoring. One per lane , a computer notes your reg and computes how long it takes you to the next set of cameras. Traffic info on the n7 is based on this www.n7.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

bruachain wrote:
    Kool....that site will be great for deciding when to leave work to miss the M50 traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Quite a few of them up the M1 . Cameras that perform a genuine function. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gorm

Pataman wrote:
    the cameras on the gantry are for traffic monitoring. One per lane , a computer notes your reg and computes how long it takes you to the next set of cameras. Traffic info on the n7 is based on this www.n7.ie

another way to get done for speeding then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

these cameras are not for speeding detection although similar to ones used in the uk for speed detection over a set distance.

they are simply traffic monitoring cameras...monitoring volumes.

i presumed they were installed on the N4 at the SPA and adjacent the SPA to check volumes prior to the N4/M4 upgrade which planning has been granted for.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

The n7 system has noting to do with taking pictures and the info is not collected by cameras

This is how the n7 system works:

'Non-intrusive radar-based traffic counters are mounted on poles at the roadside at 500 metres spacing between Rathcoole and M50 on the northbound carriageway of N7. The counters collect vehicle speed, traffic volume and lane occupancy data from vehicles travelling on the N7 Northbound and send this data back to the NRA's Traffic Management System every 60 seconds.

The NRA's Traffic Management System for the project, known as ATMS (Advanced Traffic Management System) then applies an algorithm to the traffic data to calculate the current travel time. The system sends this travel time information to electronic message signs, known as VMS (Variable Message Signs) on the N7 and also to this website.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys this is trafffic monitoring cameras.they are also on the n11 and even in dublin city centre.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

'guys this is trafffic monitoring cameras.they are also on the n11 and even in dublin city centre.'

I am talking about the system on the n7 which is a completely different system
    and yes i do realise there are traffic monitoring cameras all over the city, m50, m1 etc etc

Advertisement