Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intelligence improving stuff

Options
  • 25-07-2005 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Sooo....this could be a stupid question.....or not......

I've heard that listening to some classical composer in early youth improves intelligence (can't remember who mind you) and also that Omega 3's have a beneficial effect on concentration and memory (I use Omega 3's myself for my terrible memory since a bad car crash and feel at least a placebo benefit :)).

These both seem like excellent ways to help give your child a little headstart in life. Are there others that people are aware of?

Toys that are particularly beneficial for example? Stuff like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

All classical music improves intelligence, apparently. People specifically refer to Motzart, but bach will do just as well if you're not into plinkety waltzes.

All puzzles are great for development, the old favourites such as stackers, and slotting geometric shapes into the correct holes are great.

The best thing for developing children are books imo. Emotionally, educationally, they impart so much to children. My son has dozens upon dozens of books at age two, and I will keep buying them for him forever. There is something very satisfying in having your child prefer a book to tv. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I did a bit of research on it over lunch there. Found this very interesting article. It seems balanced compared to others I came accross.

Here's a quote from the conclusion:
    The research suggests that music may act as a catalyst for cognitive abilities in other disciplines, and the relationship between music and spatial-temporal reasoning is particularly compelling. However, several concerns remain unaddressed......

Seems the primary benefit comes from music lessons at an early age, not just listening to music (though this may also contribute). The original "Mozart effect" was found in adults, and lasted only 10 minutes.

Edit: I'll do some research on the best puzzles and report back, but if anyone knows of any others than Shabadu suggested (thanks) then please shout. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The creche my kid goes to had a notice up today on the benefits of painting for early development, helps hand to eye coordination, its a prewriting skill and is an independent thing for them to do. Theyre actually great there doing baking, singing, french, flashcards, all kinds - with kids of one!

Basically I think anything that involves constructive play rather than staring at a tv is going to help a child. My fave is reading to my two year old, because I get a kick out of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Khannie wrote:
    These both seem like excellent ways to help give your child a little headstart in life. Are there others that people are aware of?

Toys that are particularly beneficial for example? Stuff like that.
    You might be interested in this link on intellectual development.

Just to mention that intellectual ability is only one strand in a childs development, there is also emotional, physical, social etc.

causal

Nice linkage there Causal. It's good to know the limits. I'm stepdad to a 7year old (I consider him my son, and he considers me his dad). We play maths games in the car which he enjoys (until his brain hurts...you know the feeling) and his teacher has told me that he's very strong at maths (perhaps as a result, perhaps not). I missed out on his infancy though. My wife is 12 weeks pregnant on Monday on what will be (fingers crossed) my first infant parenting. I can't wait. :D

I kinda feel like social and emotional maturing are just part of life, and not something that you can help along a huge amount beyond living life and providing play opportunities. The physical arena is something that parents have most control over IMO (through diet and play activities).

I feel like helping mental abilities along also contributes to other areas (e.g. social concepts may be understood more clearly etc.), so I suppose that's why I'm focused on it at the moment.

Katie: Love the painting idea. That sounds like a real winner. Thanks. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Fair play to you. It's great to see responsible adults (step/parents/guardians) who take a proactive role in kids development :) Best wishes with the pregnancy and if you get the chance to attend the ante-natal classes I thoroughly reccommend them (we did a course of 6 of them in Holles St. Dublin expecting our first child) and we found them extremely useful. Funnily enough they were most useful when it came to the birth of our second child :)

causal

No need to remind me about the delivery of your 2nd child my good man. :) I'll probably never forget it! Spoke with my wife about it and all. I would LOVE to deliver my own child.

We're gonna do the ante-natal classes allright. I'm really looking forward to them. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas at the moment. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Books, books, books and being around both parents while they do things e.g. build flat pack furniture, bake, fix pc's etc. Dunno about music though but I hope Dad Rock isn't too harmful :D .
    I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas at the moment.
    but the lack of sleep makes the new year hangover a bummer. Good luck next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Our daughter goes the the Lesson Park School of Music. They have a music kindergarden and take kids from a very early age.

We started to send my daughter when she was 3 but they do take them earlier. It is very cool and the kids seem to love it.

MrP

[EDIT] Website for those who may be interested http://www.lpsm.ie/

Advertisement