Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audacity of Eircom...

Options
  • 25-07-2005 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

I just cannot believe it the shambles of a company that is called "eircom"
    have decided to venture in mobiles phones again....

They cannot even look after their landline customers even half-right. Most people who've dealth with Eircom customer service knows the agony of the experience. One person I spoke to even said that dealing with Russian bureaucracy was a more pleasant experience than calling the eircom customer services line. So they believe they will "add value" to the mobile market ??...how are they going to "add value" this time then....p*ss off the mobile phone users as well as the land line user.

some fuc*king cheek if you ask me...Eircell was a sham...a legacy that even got carried over to Vodaphone when they took over....they did try to sort it out a little bit though....

I just hope to the people of Ireland will have the cop on not to partonize this
    new service. If there was a very signifcant improvement in the process Eircom have for dealing with domestic and business customers alike I would say sure Eircom should be given a mobile license again but this is not the case. How do ComReg allow this to happen ? Eircom is the type of company that gives capitalism a bad name.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I think mobile customers can and will choose whether to stay with Meteor. Its not necessarily up to Comreg or the Competition authority to stop them.

What they're planning to do is introduce eircom talktime with mobile minutes. Basically for a certain about you'll get X amount of minutes per month if you use the phone a certain times, don't call here, there, have a stopwatch going at all times and you are a nocturnal animal much like a bat.

They signed me up for that talktime rubbish after being told several times (by each person of the household) that we didn't want it. Companies like this make cash out of such a service becuase you're never going to take full advantage of it, for the reasons i outlined above.

What is really going to (hopefully) is people realise they're pay €80 (say) to these chancers a month and getting very little back. I don't think adding mobile minutes to peoples phone bills and upping the amount they pay to Eircom is going to do wonders for them. People are more likely to get fed up and move on to greener pastures.

Oh, and they can say goodbye to their student customers if they stop giving them free credit. Which they most certainly will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I think mobile customers can and will choose whether to stay with Meteor. Its not necessarily up to Comreg or the Competition authority to stop them.

Eh???? Meteor will be GONE! You, as a customer, have been sold to Eircom.
    You won't have the choice of staying with Meteor or going to Eircom, you'll just be with Eircom!

OP: "Add value" actually means "make us money"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You have to laugh at Phil Nolan on the news saying that eircom has reduced landline costs. ffs! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

A brillant day for the Irish Mobile Market, and Irish Telecommunications in general, I have know eircom had bought meteor for about a week now but i couldn't be bothered to say it. It will result in cheaper rates from Meteor to Landlines and cheaper landline costs to call Meteor mobiles. As for those Eircom haters out there hang on a minute, just because you can't get broadband, that's not eircoms fault, that this Capitalist Government, Would you invest thousands in you car for instance so other people could use it and be allowed to charge less for taxi rides if you were to offer them, and for you then to be allowed not to undercut those prices. Eircom is commited to to somewhere near 95% broadband coverage by 2007, if you can't wait like me get satellite broadband its almost as cheap as dsl. Brillant day, fair play to Eircom i can now look forward to a better service as i'm going from rip-off vodafone straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

i have no problems with Vodaphone and i dont really hate a problem with eircom

i think eircom and Vodaphone are doin grand at the moment and there past history is grand too

no my head aint up my arse AND YES iv dealt with crap customer service but dude u can get that in the best of companies too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

think eircom has a few stoolies in here....Eircom were and still are a ****e computer..as for the guy talking broadband the whole country would have been broadband ready 5 years ago except for eircom blocking it saying it wasn't in enough demand...by doing this they made massive profits on their dialup internet and their supposedy high speed isdn lines..so screw eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

netwhizkid wrote:
    A brillant day for the Irish Mobile Market, and Irish Telecommunications in general, I have know eircom had bought meteor for about a week now but i couldn't be bothered to say it. It will result in cheaper rates from Meteor to Landlines and cheaper landline costs to call Meteor mobiles. As for those Eircom haters out there hang on a minute, just because you can't get broadband, that's not eircoms fault, that this Capitalist Government, Would you invest thousands in you car for instance so other people could use it and be allowed to charge less for taxi rides if you were to offer them, and for you then to be allowed not to undercut those prices. Eircom is commited to to somewhere near 95% broadband coverage by 2007, if you can't wait like me get satellite broadband its almost as cheap as dsl. Brillant day, fair play to Eircom i can now look forward to a better service as i'm going from rip-off vodafone straight away.

Now we may be able to have national coverage as eircom have the facilities and sites for it to be done, but the big question when will this happen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

i think eircom and Vodaphone are doin grand at the moment and there past history is grand too

I love it, I just really love it...this is the sort of thinking that had Ireland
    on its knees during the 1980's.

Eircom have consistenly abused their position in Ireland ever since their creation.
    Moreover, they have consistenly treated all of their customers with contempt by offering such crap customer service. Fair enough, the best companies screw up one in a while but Eircom have being doing it on a consistent basis for the past 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

THe going rate per subscriber when a mobile company is sold is €1,000 (Source: Sunday Tribune:24/0705).

So all you Meteor subscribers should ring up when the changeover happens and say

"Hello there Mr/Mrs Eircom representative. If you would like to keep me as a subscriber I would like a little HELLO money, just as a way of you saying thanks for staying with us. 100 Euro in free credit would be grand. What's that you say? Talktime... landline???? Nooo, sure what would I be wanting a landline for and pay rental forever on the bit of cable coming into the house. Are ye mad or what.

Nah, I'll just stick with the pay as I go system. Might be a little dearer but the beauty of it is that I control my budget and know where I stand each month.

Anyway, I can't be chatting to ye all day. Stick on the oul credit there for me and send Tony O'Reilly my regards. Oh, what's that you say... Tax exile. Oh right. Ah sure, next time he jets in tell him thanks from me. Cheerio..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

jetsonx wrote:
    I love it, I just really love it...this is the sort of thinking that had Ireland
    on its knees during the 1980's.

Eircom have consistenly abused their position in Ireland ever since their creation.
    Moreover, they have consistenly treated all of their customers with contempt by offering such crap customer service. Fair enough, the best companies screw up one in a while but Eircom have being doing it on a consistent basis for the past 7 years.

I second that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'll third it. eircom were the single biggest obstacle in bringing affordable broadband to Ireland. They dragged their heels on every piece of legislation that forced them to open up to competition, leaving us a decade behind everyone else in Europe. We're still only catching up.

They're overstaffed by overpaid personnel and have mismanaged every single endeavour they've ever done.

Line rental is archaic way of ripping money out of low end users - mostly OAPs. I got rid of mine as soon as it was possible.

I'm a Meteor customer and was about to upgrade my phone but that means signing up to eircom for another year. No way! I'll wait to see what 3 have to offer first.

I can't believe that they're actually paying for Meteor by a rights issue. After their shares fiasco they should never been allowed to float again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Sleipnir wrote:
    Eh???? Meteor will be GONE! You, as a customer, have been sold to Eircom.
    You won't have the choice of staying with Meteor or going to Eircom, you'll just be with Eircom!
    Umm Eircom haven't announced a name change from Meteor to Eircom mobile.. i was refering to switching form Meteor to o2/vodafone/3 etc. I would have thought that was fairly obvious tbh :rolleyes:

EDIT: Sleipnir = troll clearly

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Lads Eircell improved immensely when Digifone arrived in 1998- they actualy became a decent crowd to deal with. Unofrtunately now we have the merger of Meteors monumentally incompetent customer care and eircoms exceedingly ignorant customer care and I can only imagine what beast emerges.

Regarding eircom and "why should they provide services so that their competitors can sell it for cheaper" - don't forget eircom was bought by Valentia in the full knowledge that this was the situation. De-regulation was foisted on eircom back in the days it was semi-state so it wasn't any surprise to the new owners who decided that they could take it private and still make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How do you make a billion euro company?
    Start with a five billion euro company

parsi wrote:
    Unfortunately now we have the merger of Meteors monumentally incompetent customer care and eircoms exceedingly ignorant customer care and I can only imagine what beast emerges.

LOL @ Parsi, yip its going to be one ugly son of a bitch to deal with! Not even Com Reg will be able to stand the dazzling incompetence that this mess sorry merger will emanate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Sell one mobile company for 3.3 billion (Eircell) and buy another for less than half a billion albeit with less customers, but mostly prepaid, isnt a bad deal for eircom.

its a bad deal for their shareholds are they plan to funded thru shares

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

yip its going to be one ugly son of a bitch to deal with! Not even Com Reg will be able to stand the dazzling incompetence that this mess sorry merger will emanate.

Note 1: It's not a merger
    Note 2: Meteor's customer care isn't all that bad in comparison to others. It'll remain seperate from eircom's residental customer care I'd imagine for the forseeable future.

Nuttzz wrote:
    but mostly prepaid

I would imagine that most prepay customers are people in the 12-24 age bracket
    and old people who would only use a mobile in case of an emergency....

Some ideal prey there for Eircom to screw around with...old people and teenagers....well thought out Eircom! chase the pocket money and the pension money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I'm surprised how worked up someone can get over a phone service - like seriously, its not the health service. and more importantly how many of us actually use the landline anymore? What I read in the paper gives quite a bad impression of eircom alrite but I've never had a problem with my own actual service or the cost of it.

On top of that does anyone actually believe costs are going to rise with Meteor now that eircom have taken over? mobiles are becoming so competitive now that eircom and 3 are both in the picture and I think the only barrier to lower costs for telecoms is ignorance. There's always cheaper prices but if there's no initiative to move to companies offering lower costs what are you complaining about??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

It should be no surprise that eircom drag their feet on relinquishing market share from the fixed line business, but that isn't necessarily an indicator of what they'll do with metor.

The encumbents pstn business is in decline, dsl will get some more life out of it, but it's ultimately likely to be decimated by cable and voip.

Mobile on the other hand is a growth business, and with O2 and vodaphone having joint market dominance, eircom may indeed make Meteor the Ryanair of mobile as Tony O'Reilly indicated.

Time will tell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement