Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How high is a standard ceiling?

Options
  • 25-07-2005 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question - what is an average/standard height for a groundfloor ceiling in a modern two storey residential property.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I am pretty sure it is 2.4m but the DIY section would probably give you the exact height.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yep, 2.4 metres although there may be leeway of maybe 100mm in that. Measure from solid surface to solid surface (e.g. top of floor boards to bottom of ceiling slab).

Sloped celing are permitted at the perimeter of rooms but there are (percentage of room area) limits for this before it becomes non-habital.

For stairs I think it's 2metres vertical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Victor is correct 2.4 metres (8 feet) is the recommened ceiling height, I would have thought 50mm nearer the border line for substantial compliance in a new house or apartment.

The old rule and I'm almost sure it wasn't changed for ceilings sloping at the sides is two thirds of the room must be in compliance (2.4 m) and the side walls not lower than 1.8 m in height although 1.2 metres was accepted pre building regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Cheers for the info lads :)

Advertisement