Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart 'v' Eircom court case - news?

• 25-07-2005 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

I've had NTL for the last year - very good and it only went down for a few hours in all of that time. Having said that, the price of the Smart deal is very tempting but there's no way I can change our phone number so I'm hoping the courts will force Eircom to stopping mucking Smart and the public around. Seems to very little info about it - does anyone have any news?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I understood they were supposed to be back in Court last Thursday but I have not seen any reports on proceedings this time.

If we don't hear anything by the end of this week we won't hear anything before the begining of October due to the Courts holidays. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

that court case is going to drag and drag and drag on.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Since you have NTL already why not go VOIP with blueface.ie for 24.99 a month (pretty much what you are paying line rental now) you can make unlimited calls to 18 countries including ireland and you can port over your current phone number

And be rid of eircom

http://www.blueface.ie/products/freedomworld.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭dubadubdub

Seems like the lawyers are the ones that will benefit before the public do....what's new?!

cdebru - I've been looking at Blueface, it seems interesting but I'd be slow to switch without trying the service first. I know they do a weeks free trial but you still need the equipment first. Do they have a retail setup anywhere so that potential customers can try out the system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

cdebru wrote:
    Since you have NTL already why not go VOIP with blueface.ie for 24.99 a month (pretty much what you are paying line rental now) you can make unlimited calls to 18 countries including ireland and you can port over your current phone number

And be rid of eircom

http://www.blueface.ie/products/freedomworld.aspx

There are cheaper Blueface options than 24.99. I'm on the 10 Euro package with NTL BB MAX, get to keep my phone number, cheaper rates than Eircom and the call quality is great. I would highly recommend it.

No I don't work for Blueface! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

Unfortunatley Eircom have won a little battle regarding my broadband line. I was all set for smart and signed over to them 5 or 6 months ago. I finally got the leaflet in the door saying that smart broadband was available in my area and I rang them to get them to set me up. Then they tell me of the case with eircom and that I'd have to sign back up with eircom and then sign back up with smart. I just couldn't be bothered anymore so I'm going back to eircom and that's it. Too much messing about by both parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Or you could go to BT and get eircom to F off as well??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dubadubdub wrote:
    Hi,

I've had NTL for the last year - very good and it only went down for a few hours in all of that time. Having said that, the price of the Smart deal is very tempting but there's no way I can change our phone number so I'm hoping the courts will force Eircom to stopping mucking Smart and the public around. Seems to very little info about it - does anyone have any news?

I'd wait for NTL to release their VoIP product in a few months. Then it will be the same price as Smart, while having a better specification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

CyberGhost wrote:
    that court case is going to drag and drag and drag on.......

Thats Eircom for ya, piss ya off as long as possible and make life hell with slow and tedious bull.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭dubadubdub

bk wrote:
    I'd wait for NTL to release their VoIP product in a few months. Then it will be the same price as Smart, while having a better specification.

Do you have some reliable info? I emailed NTL last week to see if they were introducing a VoIP product and they said they weren't. You'd imagine they should know but I hope they got it wrong! Seems like something they should be getting into.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dubadubdub wrote:
    Do you have some reliable info? I emailed NTL last week to see if they were introducing a VoIP product and they said they weren't. You'd imagine they should know but I hope they got it wrong! Seems like something they should be getting into.

Yes, NTL said it themselves:
    http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9610175

They expect to have it available by the end of the year. Of course the NTL CS and sales staff probably won't be told anything about it until it becomes available.

Advertisement