Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave connection

• 25-07-2005 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mine bought a ripwave modem in Harvey Normans yest. He has to put it by the window for signal, but the etherner cable is too short.

Is it a cross-over cable or straight thru to connect modem to PC?

THX.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'd imagine it's a cross-over cable as you are connecting one networking device directly to another without a hub in between.

Why did he buy a modem, do you not get one for free with Ripwave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

No its a regular network cable, not a cross over.

Had the same problem myself - needed to get a substantially longer network cable than the one offered.

And you bought a ripwave modem ????? They do ship those out y'know. In fact I don't really see how an externally bought one could work... they need IDs and such that you actually can't set.

Unless it has software that allow you to get more information about the device (could be interesting for people who got their ripwave modem the normal way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I was thinking a cross over myself...thanks sharingan for the info.

Ye, friend of mine was in Harvey Normans...filled out a form and handed over 99euro.

First 4 months free, BUT, IBB are giving free connection worth 99euro if you sign up before 31st of july.

So, the 99euro is saved either way, if you get me???

He lives in Killiney, so should get good signal from the hill if he can poition it upstairs...yellow LED downstairs by the window!

As far as sharing ripwave with other PCs, can you go into a switch from the modem or do you have to go down router road and NAT?

thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Not familiar with Harvey Normans so the deal sounded strange. Its a curious deal, and seeing your point on it.

Buying the unit yourself has certain advantages - namely that you can take it apart and replace it with a better/external antenna. As long as you do physically own the unit, and can set it on fire if you so please.

I attached a Wifi router to the device - my PC has Wifi card. I wanted to see if it was a practical solution to try and get some height (my PC is downstairs). Essentially IBB assigns the IP to the router, and you get a 192.x.x.x address. I am not an expert on any of this, but wifi is a bit plug and play. So I think router & NAT. Or at least thats how the Wifi device operation was explained to me. Note that if you do this, the diagnostic software won't be able to find the RipWave device, so it might be tricky to optimise your signal. Perhaps there are ways to configure the router to pass this traffic through .. id on't know really.

Based on my personal experience - my signal is on the lower end of the orange band, ocassionally flickering in and out of red. This means that my connection is unusable at some times of the day when sig. quality is less than usual. When it is staying in the orange band, I get a 'broadband experience'. Generally >50% of my rated 512 D/L and a passable U/L. Surfing experience is pleasant at these times.

If you can get the reverse, top of the orange band, flickerng between green & orange, I would say your signal would be quite good, and you might even have a respectable U/L. Personally my connection is good enough for torrents, barely, but you have to be patient. Over the weekend (friday eve - monday morning) I managed to DL ~ 1.5GB through BT. Not brilliant, but usable for my purposes. Most of that happened when I got a good connection, in among droughts of low speed.

Advertisement