Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you looking forward to the next gen consoles

Options
  • 25-07-2005 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Just wondering - over the last five years we've seen the launch of so many new consoles - where do you think these new consoles will take us. What would you like to see these powerhouses do?

I love FPS's. Would love to get a truly massive environment to wonder around in with serious draw distances like in Far Cry. PS2 FPS's give you a sniper rifle and the furthest you get to zoom is to the end of the street.

I remember some magazines touting the PS2 as a truly multimedia experience with game/movie vergence which was going to be the next big thing. But i say screw that. if i want to watch a movie i'll rent one. When i play games i want a gaming experience - remember the shambles that was Metal Gear 3 - more dialog than a coronation street omnibus.

Anyways just wondering what people would like to see done with the new consoles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

at first i didnt give a toss about new consoles, but tbh, after e3, and seeing the ps3 videos someone posted here a few days ago, im pretty excited about next gen consoles. All i want to see this gen is new games. And by new, i mean, new, not sequels. The ps2 was bogged down with a nasty case of sequelitits, i think its time some of the games like metal gear were put to bed, how is gaming ever gonna evolve further if we keep looking at the past for inspiration??
    Its about time sony/microsoft/ninty, took thier balls out of thier wives purses, went out there, and made some brand new franchises, new games, hell even new genres. Last thing i want is to be playing metal gear 5 on my ps3, and still be sitting there listening to another 10 minute convo about snakes feelings, and thinking 'christ, isnt this the same game i was playing back in 1999??'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

HOB-it wrote:
    When i play games i want a gaming experience - remember the shambles that was Metal Gear 3

You should have played it past the first hour and a half. The best thing about it was that after theb initial codec bombardment it just stopped and except for the odd exception it was you who was expected to check in.

I'm not all that keen on the new consoles. Firstly I haven't seen one game that really impressed me. The PS3 has just shown renders and tech demos. The Xbox 360 has shown some in game footage but there aren't any games that do anything new. Same deal wrapped up in prettier graphics. And in about a year the PC will be surpassing them anyway. As for Nintendo all we saw was a prototype a dodgy Metroid video that probably isn't in game. I also feel that the new consoles are arriving too early. There is plenty of life in the current generation.

Saying that I'll be picking up an Xbox 360 at launch (only because I'll be in america at the time and want to brag) and will buy the other two when the first exceptional game is released (could be up to a year like with the PS2).

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HOB-it

But what would you LIKE them to do. What can you see yourself playing ... or will they just be on show in your living room...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Give me a gaming experience beyond what the old consoles could do. Something revolutionary that actually needed the new technology to be possible like GTA3 on the PS2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I second that they're arriving too soon, programmers are still doing amazing stuff with the hardware out there at the moment. Games like Ratchet and clank 3 on the ps2 really push it to its limits and look great.

Shame that as soon as devs have mastered a system all their experience gets thrown down the drain by new architectures in the new consoles

• Advertisement

i think the new consoles are only going to bring to the fore and to the home user what pc gamers are currently enjoying. i dont think any new architecture will out shine whats currently possible on pc. ive seen some beutiful video clips (lair for example) of what the ps3 is capable of but like you said - fancy rendering and texture mapping wont be a substitute for innovation. also agree on leaving it a year before even touching one of the new consoles (xbox 360 can currently be preordered from play.com for a whopping 630+ yo yos.) Also after a year the machine has been put through the hoops in terms of its capabilities - programmers know what they're doing.

personally i want to see bigger worlds with more to explore and do and interact with. i want to see WoW size huge on the console. i think we've gone as far as possible with some genres (not to insult sports fans) - but bar better graphics - i mean what more can you do for a basket ball/tennis/football game? the current systems offer so much in terms of playablity (pro evo soccer for example) that to transfer them to the new console is only done for the sake of better graphics. the current systems have explored all the current genres to the max and pushed the boundries of those genres. its time for new thinking. i agree - i want to be stunned - like GTA3 did - or the first time i played zelda - or grand turismo - or even Getaway which saw programmers re-create london. but for every time i was stopped from going through a door that was simply there for show - i want that doorway to open up and let me in. I think for 630 euros - it better open......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

New X-Box will be selling for about 300-350 euros..microsoft will again take a hit on the hardware as they know long term it will rake in billions..
    still hate consoles though..if only they would develop games with keyboard and mouse support then i would be interested.until then it's the pc..and just as well..it's the pc that's driving gaming at the moment...farcry/HL/HL2/Doom/etc.. i had an xbox but only used it for fifa05 and other sports titles..still will buy the xbox though as it might surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Deadwing wrote:
    Its about time sony/microsoft/ninty, took thier balls out of thier wives purses, went out there, and made some brand new franchises, new games, hell even new genres. Last thing i want is to be playing metal gear 5 on my ps3, and still be sitting there listening to another 10 minute convo about snakes feelings, and thinking 'christ, isnt this the same game i was playing back in 1999??'

I agree, but it's part of the business I'm afraid. With budgets ramping up, you can expect publishers to be cautious.

That said, proportionally Sony has had a very strong focus sofar on original games with PS3. They've thusfar announced 12 of their own titles that they'll be publishing, and at least half of them are originals (Heavenly Sword, I-8, Lair, L.A. Noir, Eyedentity, Motorstorm etc.)

MS has a decent original lineup too (Kameo, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, 99 Nights).

It's not trivial, given the budgets some of these games are working with. Hopefully third parties will give a decent focus to originals too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Personally the only thing im looking forward to is hdtv support other than that the games will play the same just look slightly prettier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i dont think most small dev. teams can b original anymore not with the increasing cost and time it takes to make a game. an original game is a huge risk just look at all the jap games some r very creative... but thats about it there is a reason why they dont leave japan. so basicly its up to the big names like EA and MS who have the pockets to b original

• Advertisement

Airblazer wrote:
    still hate consoles though..if only they would develop games with keyboard and mouse support then i would be interested.until then it's the pc..and just as well..it's the pc that's driving gaming at the moment...farcry/HL/HL2/Doom/etc.. i had an xbox but only used it for fifa05 and other sports titles..still will buy the xbox though as it might surprise me

PC driving games forward? the games you have mentioned are all fps games and althought they are some of the best of the genre they didn't really push the envelope. Play something like Katamari Damacry to experience something far more unique and exciting.
    i dont think most small dev. teams can b original anymore not with the increasing cost and time it takes to make a game. an original game is a huge risk just look at all the jap games some r very creative... but thats about it there is a reason why they dont leave japan. so basicly its up to the big names like EA and MS who have the pockets to b original

You are unfortunately right. Small developers can't take any risks and usually have to churn out generic games that are gauranteed to sell. It's a real shame when only the 4 big japanese developers Nintendo, Konami, Capcom and Namco can get away with making innovative games. It's also a fault with the people who buy games. They would rather buy fifa (insert year here) than something like Darwinia.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Not really to be honest. I find the lack of new franchises this generation extremely worrisome. It's getting to the stage were the money involved means that publishers tend not to take risks. And I can only see it getting worse next gen.

That said, my current most wanted game is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, nothing so far that I've seen on any of the new consoles has made me want to get one at launch, so I think my GC and Xbox will do me until well into next year at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm looking forward to the next generation console.
    I havn't had a console since the SNES, before which I had both the Sega systems and the NES. Thats cause I stopped playing group games with other people.
    Now however I'm moving out, so I intend to do the following.

Buy a Playstation 3

Buy
    Tekken 6
    Pro Evolution Soccer 6
    EA Rugby 2007
    Need for Speed 5
    GTA : Sloth City

And just go nuts :)
    Can't wait

Although I'd really like it if Nintendo had a decent line up which included Tekken and Pro Evo, in which case I'd buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

PHB wrote:

Buy a Playstation 3

Buy
    Tekken 6
    Pro Evolution Soccer 6
    EA Rugby 2007
    Need for Speed 5
    GTA : Sloth City

OMFG doctor this is the worst case of sequelitis I've ever seen, we need a new franchise stat! :D

Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV). Now we're on the right path

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, total sequels, but I've only ever played those games in passing at other peoples house, cept Pro Evo which is on the PC and just as good, so they are new to me :)

Advertisement