Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just passed test. Insurance Qs.

Options
  • 25-07-2005 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Obviously delighted as it was my first attempt and I'm driving about 7 months, glad t get it out of the way.

Just rang Quinn-Direct who my Motor Policy is with and was informed I will be getting less than 10% of what my original premium cost despite having 4 months left on it.

I would have thought it would have been more like 33% or something close. Does anyone know how they get this figure and whether their calculators are broken.

I'm now going to go shoppping around for new quotes as I hope to get a new car soon. Does anyone have any recommendations of Insurance companies?

Any feedback on Hibernian? I've read they offer dicounts for passing their Ignition course and was wondering if it was worth applying for or are there any catches etc...

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

if youve 4 months left that means youve 33% left on your insurance.
    theyll give you a rebate on that 33%,
    in other words you get a third back off a third of your original payment.

im finding it hard to explain so example might be easier,
    3000eu polocy,
    4 months left = 1000eu
    1/3 rebate = 333.33eu
    or about 10% of oriignal policy.

ignition is only for provisional drivers i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^What he said. I think QD gave me about £200 back when I passed. It was about 3 months before my renewal date.

Essentially, you've paid them for 12 months as a provisional driver. For 8 of those months, you were a provisional driver, so you're only entitled to a discount for the 4 months that you're not a provisional driver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

10% back sounds reasonable to me. Shop around and you should get much better quotes for the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I got just under 10% back from QD when I upgraded to the full license.

The renewal was a good bit (25% odd) lower though - you'll be well able to shop around now with the full license too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

hi i would recommend hibernian and do the ignition course and get another discount of up to 50%. i got 20% off my quote and hibernian are really nice to deal with and have had not probs at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yeah i reckon i'll go for Ignition alright.
    ignition is only for provisional drivers i think...

full licence too. actually i think it started as full licence, then provsional option got added.

while on the topic, i was amazed at how much my insurance dropped. went onto quinn online and got a quote of

Last november:

Male
    Dublin area
    99 Punto 1.2l
    Prov Licence, no experience.

€2890

Now:

As above
    Full Licence
    7 months experience on Prov.

€1290

That's online so I could probably get lower. The quote has over halved in the 7 months I started driving, which is amazing. With an Ignition course discount I guess it would be close to 1k.

Advertisement