Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separate router and modem?

• 25-07-2005 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to get my Smart connection this week. I'm going to set up a wireless system using either the free smart modem and Linksys wireless router (WRT54G), or a combined wireless router and modem (WAG54G). What are the pros/cons of either setup? There isn't much difference in the price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I'd go for the combined version, it just takes out the hassles of configuring both devices to work with each other, NAT, port forwarding etc.

Just make sure its ADSL2+ compatiable if your using Smart

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

TimTim wrote:
    I'd go for the combined version, it just takes out the hassles of configuring both devices to work with each other, NAT, port forwarding etc.

Just make sure its ADSL2+ compatiable if your using Smart

I agree totally the combined version saves a lot of messing and is very easy to set up. (It would of course be redundant if you decided to change to cable any time in the future but that may not be your intention) I have been using the adsl2 version of the wag54g for the past couple of months and it works fine. Its available in IT direct for just over 100 euros which is not a bad price at all. They also have an adsl2 version of the netgear 834g but that is about 120 euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

What's the neccessity for ADSL2 as apposed to ADSL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

What's the neccessity for ADSL2 as apposed to ADSL?

Its an improvement over the ADSL standard, by allowing more of the frequencies
    of the copper pair to be used thus allowing faster download/upload speeds and greater line noise tolerence and afaik it works from a further distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Great explanation :D Thanks TimTim!

• Advertisement
Advertisement