Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Air brakes?

Options
  • 25-07-2005 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am not a motor fan but I am curious about something I noticed. There is a guy in a small car (nissan micra or something close) that is driving around the area and his car makes some odd noises. One it is really loud car due to the exhaust he added but it also makes air noises like hydrolics. SOmebody told me they are air brakes!
    I don't think there is much point in many modding as a general rule but I can respect that it is what this guy likes. My questions are really this what do airbrakes do for the car? Does it really improve stopping etc... are their really any advantages or is it just posing? And how much are these things? Is this a respected mod or is like many of the muppet boy racers mods that are laughed at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

id say its more likely an induction kit,
    which sucks a big gulp of air into the engine when you change up a gear.

not sure tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

A Micra? Ten gets you twenty it's a fake dump valve.

adam

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

SOmebody told me they are air brakes!
    I thought air brakes were the invisible brakes you press when you're in the passenger seat beside a driver you don't trust to stop in time....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

More than likely a Glanza with a real dump valve.

He means a Starlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

dahamsta wrote:

adam

I'm with him. First thing i thought when i read the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

dahamsta wrote:
    Hahahaha......what kind of loser fits one of those to his motor?!

Next time you hear the sound of a dump valve, flip a coin. Heads it's a fake.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Usually one with fluff on his upper lip, a baseball hat and a collection of de latest bangin' choonz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

So it really is to just make a sound and does not improve performance? What kind of price are they the link wouldn't bring me to a price?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

dahamsta wrote:

adam

Air brakes as fitted to your averady Readymix truck, not in a million. Such a system weighs more and uses more power to operate than the whole of the micra.
    So I'll go with a fake dump valve, if heard on the outside and a faulty VACUUM assisted booster if the sound comes from inside the car. In which case I'd get out and walk, cause that just about equates to no brakes.
    Talk about a stupid way to impress. :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

if its a Micra then its surely a fake dumpvalve and I cant see this being a respected mod cause afaik Micras dont come in a turbo version....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

dahamsta wrote:

adam

god that is low whats the point in that?
    such a waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Someone posted about fake dump valves before, I did a quick search, they were on a racersedge website for €325 which doesn't seem to be there anymore.

See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=184632

Advertisement