Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading CPU problem :(

Options
  • 25-07-2005 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a home computer with an intel P4 Processor @ 2 Ghz on a DFI infinity 865PE motherboard and a P4 laptop at 3.06 GHz

My laptop screen broke so its no use so I tought. Why not put that faster processor in my computer? which I tried and it dosent boot. In fact nothing happens. Its as if there was no processor in it at all. Both the chips are physicaly the exact same. Is their something im missing or why wouldnt this work.

Thanks
    John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Assume the laptop is a mobilty chip and works on differnet power and mother board specs.

Plug a monitor into the laptop.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭clearz

I dont think its a mobility chip. just a standard P4. It came from an Advent 7037 laptop specs can be see here

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/7037.htm

It says its a P4 Northwood my Desktop PC is also a Northwood so I cant see what the problem is.

I have a 6800GT in my desktop and my CPU is limiting my FPS in games and my laptop's GC is crap so using that with a monitor is no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

would reckon its the laptop motherboard it would use less power and give less so your PCs mobo cant power the cpu correctly.

Dont suppose you know the laptops main board make and number?

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

assuming you have a hefty psu with your 6800gt there should be no problem is your mobo compatible with the cpu mine can on take up to 3.4ghz might be the same with yours or the pins are bent/broken on the cpu is it the same socket?

I have a 600watt PSU which should be no problem

The two processors are physically identical.

I just tried it again in the laptop thinking i might have damaged it and it works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

could it be because the old cpu runs on a 533mhz fsb
    and the other one needs 800mhz fsb

The FSB's are deffently different. My desktop PC was one of the first Northwoods so its got a 400Mhz FSB and im not sure if the laptop is 533 or 800 but probably 533

EDIT: A quick google and I came up with this

http://www.whatlaptop.co.uk/cNQvsAlo-WckGQ.html

It states that it is in fact a desktop processor and its FSB is 800Mhz. Now I really want to get that into my desktop. I can finally get that PC3200 memory running at full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,292 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

clearz wrote:
    It states that it is in fact a desktop processor and its FSB is 800Mhz

That's a different chip compared to what's in your laptop!

Link: P4 3.0 this equates to a multiplier of 15 and a fsb of 200*4=800 (15*200=3000)

Your laptop: P4 3.06 this equates to a multiplier of 23 and a fsb of 133*4=533 (23*133=3060)

Your mobo has the 865PE chipset, which does support 800FSB, 533FSB and 400FSB! The laptop CPU (presuming it is identical to a desktop CPU as you state) should work, but you might have to manually set the FSB back to 133 (and possibly the multiplier as well) in the BIOS

I just took a look in my bios there and it is currently at 20x100 (2Ghz) as expected but it only allows me to raise the 100 up to a max of 133 giving me 20x133(2.66Ghz) and it dosent allow me to touch the multiplyer when I insert the other CPU I cant even get as far as the bios. Its like I never inserted any CPU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Is there an updated BIOS available for your desktop mobo?

• Advertisement

WizZard wrote:
    Is there an updated BIOS available for your desktop mobo?

I installed the latest bios without any luck

Are you 100% sure the laptop CPU is not damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

unkel wrote:
    That's a different chip compared to what's in your laptop!

Link: P4 3.0 this equates to a multiplier of 15 and a fsb of 200*4=800 (15*200=3000)

Your laptop: P4 3.06 this equates to a multiplier of 23 and a fsb of 133*4=533 (23*133=3060)

Your mobo has the 865PE chipset, which does support 800FSB, 533FSB and 400FSB! The laptop CPU (presuming it is identical to a desktop CPU as you state) should work, but you might have to manually set the FSB back to 133 (and possibly the multiplier as well) in the BIOS

DFI 865PE INFINITY
    CPU supported:
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with Hyper-Threading Technology
    - 800MHz/533MHz system data bus
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Northwood processor
    - 533MHz/400MHz system data bus
    Intel® Celeron® Northwood processor
    - 400MHz system data bus

@ wiZZard: I have put the CPU back in the laptop and it boots fine.

Yea its a DFI 865PE INFINITY

Is there some jumper i could flick to do something. :)

From Clinical Waste's post it would seem that your board does not suppost 800Mhz FSB Northwood's? I know damn all about Pentium chips so I'd double check that your laptop chip is an 800Mhz Northwood

Advertisement