Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need quick help

• 25-07-2005 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hey, just found this on komplett. Looks like it will do the job for me. I need to set-up a wireless network (2mb BT BB) between my iMac (OS 9.2.2), my PC laptop (WinXP Pro) and an inkjet usb multifunction; but neither machine will host the printer. I want to be able to print from whichever machine I turn on.

I'll be connecting it to my BT modem as it doesn't seem to have a built-in modem :(

There maybe a few possible problems though;

1) It's only usb 1.1, my new printer will be usb 2.0?

2) It's generally said that multi-functions don't work on networks, only the printing part of it?

Anyone any comments/help with the above??

BTW, it says somewhere it's pltform independent so it should work with Mac and PC :confused:

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

1) It's only usb 1.1, my new printer will be usb 2.0?

usb 2.0 is backwards compatible=> should not be a problem.

2) It's generally said that multi-functions don't work on networks, only the printing part of it?

True you can't really copy from remote ;)

BTW, it says somewhere it's pltform independent so it should work with Mac and PC :confused:

From what i have seen it should work don't see any reason why it shouldn't.
    follow chapter 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Hey Mac daddy, cheers for the help. Much appreciated. The pdf was great. It pretty much confirmed everything I needed to know, except the multifunction question. It said that the print server "does not support multifunction devices such as printer/copier/scanner/fax" so I thought I'd do a little google.

I came accross this article which seems to state that most print servers will offer you the printing ability but little else (not even ink level status, etc..). If that's the case I would be happy enough because the printer/scanner/fax would be plugged into the phone line (as well as the modem/print server) so I would still have standalone fax and copier functions, but no way to scan!!

Found a HP OfficeJet 7410 with built-in wireless but it's about €650 so that's way over budget.

The search goes on...

I wouldn't pay 650 for a printer :p indeed way to much cash,

Good luck with the search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Most offices would use a printer with a LAN module. See HP's JetDirect for an example. This way, you plug the printer on the network (patch cable to hub/switch), and then have access to all the printer's facilities from any computer on the LAN.

Cheers,
    JP

Hey folks, thanks for all the replies! :D

Just bought a Brother MFC-620CN from Harvey Norman. Salesman was sound. And he really knew his stuff, made it a lot easier to make a decision. Anyway, this machine is a printer/scanner/copier/fax all-in-one (with 4 seperate inks to boot!!). Its network ready and has an ethernet port so I reckon I just need to plug it into the back of my Belkin wireless router and it should be available to both machines. Only thing it says it doesn't do over the network is send faxes (which is fair enough!) so I'll just stick a phone line in the back aswell.

Fingers crossed! Oh, and the price... €259.00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

I've done a little searching as well for multifunction network (not USB, don't want to add a USB server), and Brother seems to be the only choice when it comes faxing as well. One thing you might want to note is that Brother models are not that great when it comes to auto paper loading via the sheet feeder.

Would you post a summary of what your experience is with this MFC 620CN? I am already tempted.....

WUSBDesign wrote:
    Would you post a summary of what your experience is with this MFC 620CN? I am already tempted.....
    Hey WUSBDesign, have'nt had any need to use the sheet feeder yet (I haven't sent any faxes) but all else is great I have to say. :D I set mine up over the wireless network and it was up and running in less than 10 mins - from the box.

My network set-up is as follows;
    BT 2mb BB, ZyXel Prestige 600 modem, Belkin wireless router and Samsung PC laptop (XP Pro). I also have an iMac but I can't find a cost-effective way to get that on the network, but AFAIK the Brother will work fine with that too.

Anyway, once I took it out of the box, read the initial set-up instruction re connecting it to the network and installing cartridges etc.., all I had to do was install the drivers which was simple enough. My laptop recognised the device straight away over the wireless network but wouldn't print. When you enable network features you need to assign an ip address. As I'm using dynamic ip addressing with my BB, I left this alone and continued. However, this was my error. I went back and gave it an ip address within my ip pool and it worked!

Features-wise it's excellent I have to say. The software installed on my laptop lets me scan/copy/print from anywhere in my apartment :D which is great! I've got my redundant phone-line plugged into the back so I presume I will have no problem sending faxes too. I don't have a residential phone (I use my business mobile for all calls) so I have it set to permanently receive faxes. It's got tons of advanced features for this!! As far as I can see, it's got a built-in answering machine, which can be programmed to record calls after a certain amount of rings (or if the call is not detected as a fax), or route calls through to another phone or answering machine. I haven't looked through it all yet, I'm sure there's loads more...

The software has programmable functions to scan/copy etc at pre-programmed configurations (ie: Button 1 - scan as file, 300dpi tiff, to Photoshop etc..). It's quality!!!

Print quality is very good. So far I've only printed on plain paper but both colour and mono are crisp and not over-inked/saturated. I'm happy.

If you've got any questiuons just PM me. I'll try and post photos later?

Printers should always be setup with a static ip adress and be assigned one by the dhcp server or router ;)

Advertisement