Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

I get the wallpaper but no icons or taskbar?

• 25-07-2005 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

I'm sure its a popular problem,but when i boot into XP i get my background loading and then it pauses for about 6minutes until i eventually get the rest of my desktop.it's like a virus but ive scanned EVERYTHING possible.

Any help is much appreciated. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

How old is the computer? Have you installed or uninstalled anything just before this problem started? Any other symptoms?

The only other time I have seen this happening when nothing had been installed or uninstalled to warrant the behaviour, it was a case of the hard drive was dying. Are you hearing some relatively loud clicking noises coming from the computer as it is trying to load up the desktop?

A site I would recommend you visit aswell would be http://www.pcpitstop.com where you will need to register (for free) and you can scan your computer. At the end it will give you suggestions as to how to speed everything up though if nothing seems out of place it could well be a problem with your Hard Drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Carlitos

thats just the thing...its a brand new AMD64 with a raptor HD and an x800 gfx card. there's no way its from old age. it happens at random.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Sounds like a program is causing it to hang, not a virus.
    Can you remember any specific program yo uinstalled recently, or just before the problem started?
    Try pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del to open the task manager when the computer hangs, to see if anything obvious is hold the system up.
    If the computer's really new, you might want to cinsoder a reformat and keep an eye on what you install...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

like sinecurea said, ctrl-alt delete and goto taskmanager- processes and click on cpu to put the processes in order of cpu usage, then either the top or the bottom of the list will show your culprit

if the culprit is explorer.exe just right click on it and end the process, then click file-new task and type in explorer and hit okay, if this loads up the desktop instantly you might have a driver problem, try windows update

if the culprit is anything else, got file-new task and run msconfig, goto the startup tab and see if you can find a line telling windows to load the culprit, untick taht line and reboot

Advertisement