Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are they building up by the Owenstown gate?

Options
  • 25-07-2005 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

was cycling around the campus last night and noticed that they have reclaimed another nice green field in the name of construction

(it's up by the Owenstown gate which is basically towards the top of the hill opposite Merville)
    but couldn't see any evidence of what is going to be there

or is it just the annual reclaim of another superleague pitch or 2 for the beneit of Tar.Macadam....?

they should be building underground car parks under every new building IMO

I hope it's not for another car park, maybe it's for another res?

sorry, been graduated a few years, maybe it's common knowledge, couldnt find any obvious answers on the ucd home page....anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Residences apparently.
    Will take YEARS to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭ergo

Residences apparently.

well at least that's something,

I always thought it would be cool if it was more like in the US where everybody lives on campus, obviously not going to happen in a place like Dublin where a lot of people already live nearby but there you go

and they were the worst 2 pitches too but had some good games up there, oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

i remember hearing some rumour about a travellers halting site - but that was years ago i heard it.
    but what i heard was about that same location...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I noticed the construction out there last week and I was readying myself to use that as another excuse to rant about this college.... blah..... but at least it's being bulit for something that is badly needed out in this college. However I hope no more green areas around the college will be bulit on as Belfield isn't far off from being a concrete jungle at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

the car parks get built on, then the green areas get turned into more car parks. then they build on the car parks that were greens, and thus every bit of green on the campus will be obliterated!
    AAAAHH! it's natural! kill it kill it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 spikslow

there are two res being built, a replacement for Roebuck and an extension to merville (merville 2) There is also an extension to glenomena being built. These projects had to start now to avail of the government's tax incentive schemes which will expire at the end of 2005. (though I think it's silly to end them).

the halting site is still going ahead, it's up beyond Roebuck castle, it's planned to be on the opposite side of the DCC's proposed road replacing Foster's Avenue.

I notice that all the topsoil from the new res has been dumped in the path of the new road, clearly UCD is hoping to get the council to remove it all. Thousands of the countries best educated people and all we can come up with is ways to ride the system.

The long awaited multi-story car park is planned to be built on the site of the large car park behind O'Reilly hall, but it's likely that that project will be stalled indefinitely. It's very ambitious and low on realism. A visionary piece of architecture though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i hear its a life size chess field with Vin Diesel's White Knight's against Chuck Norris's Black Panthers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

That would not surprise me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

No it's just a playpen for freshers

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

"play pen for freshers" god we thing much of ourselves dont we, it was what? a max of 3 years since u were one, and if its anymore than that get a real job damnit. unless u wanna be like all those monkeys in the english department havent written a book in their lives but damnit they'll look down on u for trying to do anything even remotely original.

that said they really should build the carparks underground, god knows we might as well use the freaking tunnels for something!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

lordgoat wrote:
    i hear its a life size chess field with Vin Diesel's White Knight's against Chuck Norris's Black Panthers...
    That would be SO cool!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Bam-bams reloaded maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

unless u wanna be like all those monkeys in the english department havent written a book in their lives but damnit they'll look down on u for trying to do anything even remotely original.

Let them - it's their problem if they do, don't allow it to become yours!

Advertisement