Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to promote a website

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

axer wrote:
    the advantage of hosting in ireland is that your server has an irish IP address - this is an advantage when it comes to search engines - not speed.

????

I have never heard of this before.

Is this definitely correct? Do you have any links to back this up?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just surprised.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you look into how Google et al rank and index pages you'd soon see that the geolocation of your site can be very important.

If you have an Irish site targetting the Irish market you should try to host it on Irish IP space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

smeggle wrote:
    probably not getting any bots in at all. I have a spiders.txt as well, pop it in your root folder - it calls the bots of all engines listed in it. - see attached. :)
    What's this? Some kind of wierd mating ritual for spiders? Put the spiders.txt in the root folder and it will act like a fly caught on a web? :) Some of those listed in that file are not spiders but scrapers.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

dublindude wrote:
    ????

I have never heard of this before.

Is this definitely correct? Do you have any links to back this up?
    It is correct. The major search engines use IP location when dealing with com/net/org/biz/info websites.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

axer wrote:
    the advantage of hosting in ireland is that your server has an irish IP address - this is an advantage when it comes to search engines - not speed.

It's also an advantage from a responsiveness point of view. Even under the best conditions, a round-trip from Ireland to the US will be at least 100ms. 200ms or more is not unusual. The UK is a good compromise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement