Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Modem problems

• 25-07-2005 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

‘lo folks, need some assistance with a problem I’m having with my new Esat BT modem router and it’s introduction into my current wireless router setup.

Equipment:
    SMC Barricade SMC2804WBR .11g wireless router
    Zyxel prestige 623R-T1 EsatBT modem/router
    2 PC’s (1xWin2K & 1xWinXP Pro)
    And 2 laptops with .11g wifi (1xWin2K & 1xWinXP Pro)
    All fully updated – windows update wise.

My old setup was to use manually configured IP’s on all machines, in the 192.168.0.x range – I used internet connection sharing on my server PC and all net access was looked after like this. I never used the DHCP facility on my SMC router.
    Everything was hunky dory this way, no issues with connections etc..

With this new DSL modem router I decided I’d use it’s DHCP capabilities, so I set all net cards to obtain IP’s automatically and plugged the esat modem (Ethernet port) into my existing router. This works fine as regards my desktop machines, they get IP’s fine and they are able to access net. Not so my laptops, they aren’t even getting IP addresses. ???

To circumvent this I thought I’d manually assign IP’s to each net card and turn off the DHCP of the esat modem/router. This is grand in so far as my machines can transfer files between each other, but they have no internet access! ???

All settings have been left at default, as regards the esat modem/router i.e. to get into the esat modem config page you simply pop 192.168.1.1 into a browser and when I was using the DHCP it assigned IP’s from 192.168.1.32 > on.
    Also, when I manually configured IP’s I used IP’s from the same range.

I turned off all firewalls on my machines when I was experimenting with different settings - to eliminate that aspect.

Has anyone any suggestions as to a fix or workaround?
    Have you enough info.?

Many thanks for any help you can provide this rookie :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 excessive

you might need to look into port fowarding, this site explains how http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ZyXEL/Prestige623R-T1/default.htm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What's the address of the wireless router? Is it in the 192.186.1.x range too? It should be anyway if not it may be blocking access. Also make sure that it is set up in bridging mode, if you can, so that it just passes everything through from DSL router to your network.

Finally, I had a similar problem with net access when I set up a wireless router on the back of the BT DSL modem. I had to manually set the DNS server addresses in the TCP/IP properties for the wireless network device. For BT the servers can be 194.125.2.240 and 194.125.2.241. There is also a second set of DNS servers that I was using but can't remember them now. This fixed my internet access problems anyway. You could give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

UPDATE.

I dissabled WEP and MAC filtering on my router and it is now giving out IP's to the laptops too :confused:

I just need to implement the wireless security features again and see where the issue is.

Many thanks for the input chaps.

Advertisement