Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing door lock

Options
  • 26-07-2005 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Have one of those front door locks where you have to pull up the handle and the three bolts shoot out (1 top and bottom are already out and they slot into the frame) anyway was looking to change the key (the hose was rented and I dont want no former tennant opping in) is it possible to just buy the cylinder for this type of door and re they easy to change. The brand is ISEO

Cheers Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

eddiej wrote:
    Hi all,
    Have one of those front door locks where you have to pull up the handle and the three bolts shoot out (1 top and bottom are already out and they slot into the frame) anyway was looking to change the key (the hose was rented and I dont want no former tennant opping in) is it possible to just buy the cylinder for this type of door and re they easy to change. The brand is ISEO

Cheers Eddie
    Eddie, I believe it's easy enough. I have identical door & lock in my place. My neighbour had a lock smith out recently to get all his replaced so I am not sure if it's a DIY job but I can ask him would he know how to do it himself next time. I don't think it cost him that much anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Eddie, I believe it's easy enough. I have identical door & lock in my place. My neighbour had a lock smith out recently to get all his replaced so I am not sure if it's a DIY job but I can ask him would he know how to do it himself next time. I don't think it cost him that much anyway.

It is a simple 5 minute job. A new cylinder will probably cost you about 20-30 euro .

Put the key into the lock.
    On the door edge, in line with the cylinder, you will see a pozi-drive screw.
    GENTLY remove the screw ( do not use a cordless drill for this ).
    This screw may be under a plastic strip, so pull off the strip first.
    This screw will be between 40-65 mm long, depending on door type.
    When the screw is removed, pull on the cylinder while rotating the key about 1/3 of a full rotation.
    The cylinder will pop out when you rotate the key the correct amount.

Fitting the new one is a reverse of this procedure.

kadman :)

Advertisement