Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Screen input needed

• 26-07-2005 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

i am in the process of gathering information about a little project i am making. i am looking for a 17" laptop touch screen to fit a box that i will be building a PC into. Firstly, will i have a problem connecting the screen to display from the PC. what parts would you recomend, and where could i get them. this box eventually i want to play music from, be portable, and above all look the part. has anyone any suggestions motherboard, soundcard, etc etc.. or any advice. :D
    many thanks
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You'd be doing well just to get the laptop LCD working. Only place I've seen is http://www.lcdexceltech.com/ but they don't advertise anything with your touchpanel/17"/svga or dvi requirements. Usually laptop LCDs connect directly to the laptop graphics card.

Rest of the PC, contents of any old shuttle small form factor PC, unless you have strict depth restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

laptop screen is not really workable TBH. This was discussed in details a while back. Basically the panels in a laptop are "dumb" and you will need a controller to use the panel. The controllers cost about €250, so its totally pointless.

Best thing is to get your mits on a 17" touchscreen monitor, and gut it.

platform wise, if its just going to be a media player, have a look on www.mini-itx.com for inspiration.

[edit] oh, and welcome to boards ;) [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

hi and welcome to boards.ie aswell ...OK then im doing something like what your talking about at the moment ...but ive had to rethink my frist plan due to what SOUPER has just said ..i was getting three Laptop tft's from a boards member and the plan was to hook them up to a case mod that im working on ,but after tons of going through lots of different modding sites , i found that the only way to run these laptop tft's on a bog standard pc was to pay out the money for the controllers ...there is a way of doing it by using an old PCI video card one "vesa " which i think i just spelt wrongly ".its one of the old ati cards which has two rows of pins on it 13 on each row ...and its matter of soldering a split ide rippon to each pin on the card from the tft rippon and also you will need an invertor to power the back light and then before all of this you need to track down the make and brand of the tft screen ..and get the spec sheet from the company ...plus if for example its was a sony 17" standard tft that doesnt mean the the screen itself is a sony most brand name company's dont make there own tft's the buy them in and just stick there own housing over them ..and most of the spec sheets out there that show the wiring layout are wrong "honestly "
    anyhow after all of that " if it works for you ??? " you will only end up with 16 colors which is fine for dos and a bios screen but if its media player and so on it will look soooooo bad ...
    and thats just a bog standard tft not a touch screen " which you will pay an arm and a leg for unless you track one down on ebay or someplace...at the moment ive just gone back to getting a 17" TFT and ive stripped it down and im intergrating it into my side panel of my case ...but im not givin up just yet ..im hope'in to use two of the laptop tft's on either side of the normal tft by seeing if i can strip the controller from the main tft into three inother words the 2 laptop panels will only be able to show whats on the center normal tft ..
    but hay thats another days work....
    i hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

kryan1 wrote:
    i am in the process of gathering information about a little project i am making. i am looking for a 17" laptop touch screen to fit a box that i will be building a PC into (etc.)
    Kevin

Sounds to me like you're trying to build a touchscreen, supersized ARCHOS/iRiver -type PMC.

I'd try and get hold of a second-hand Fujitsu B-series (2610, reasonable spec still, PIII-800, 256 RAM, ATI M9) or -more expensive- one of Panasonic's panzer-laptops (can't remember their moniker, but their 'sturdy outdoor line'), both of which have touchscreen functionality built-in. Screen on some of those may be or approaching 15". Then cannibalise (basically take innards out of shell) and upgrade whatever/wherever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

thanks very much for the input guys. i will keep you posted on how i get on.
    Kevin

• Advertisement
Advertisement