Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions about celerons

• 05-03-1999 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

what is the difference in the following?
    Intel® Celeron(TM) 333 MHz 128k
    Intel® Celeron(TM) PPGA 333A
    which would i be better off buying?

and would both of them be compatible with
    Abit PII BH6 BX Chipset Jumperless ATX
    and can it be overclocked no problem.
    ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

Umm... I did truckloads of research into Celerons before I bought one, haven't heard of a PPGA though.... What's important is that you get one with a Cache. That's about it really. I have a 300A clocked to 504Mhz, and put it like this, when I disable the cache it boots slower than a 486. The Abit board is the ONLY one to get, also try to get a triple fan/heatsink combo called "Cool Dude" (SERIOUSLY!!). Company called Scientific Computers in Dublin do them.
    The ****ing business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

The PPGA celeron is the new socket celeron - the socket 370 one. Therefore, the PPGA celeron wouldn't work at all (it wouldn't fit) into your Abit BX6 board. So that would leave you with just the option of the 333A. This would fit, but as far as I know, the mad overclocking was specifically a 300A thing.
    Apparently, in order to make up demand for the 300A chip, a pile of PII-450 cores were reworked, and rebadged Celeron 300As - that would explain its overclocking prowess. However, you might still be able to get some speed out of it, but I've only heard of the 300A going at ninja speeds.
    I must agree with Reaper here - those 'Cool It Dude' fans are *****in' - they keep **** cold.
    Lastly, with the PII prices dropping like flies, you might be better off waiting a month or two, and picking up a PII-450 chip at knockdown prices, as Intel push the PIII chip like mad.

Dan

Advertisement