Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

can this be true

Options
  • 26-07-2005 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

I just read this somewhere and was wondering if anybody ever tried it out

quote:

Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are home, call someone on your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: "It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

You idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

kinda thought so, but hey, maybe someone actually did try this out at some stage

@Gerry, very creative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

this is very interesting:D

did anybody actually try it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

We don't have to try it.

It doesn't work.

The transponder in your key does not work by emitting a sound. And your mobile does not transmit the radio signal emitted by the key. It transmits sounds (via radio waves, yes).

but a mobile phone can trasmit frequencies? at least I thought so.
    I think I will give it a try on my flatmates car this evening, just out of curiousity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I think I will give it a try on my flatmates car this evening, just out of curiousity.
    Go on then - and report in the morning.

I wouldn't put my lunch money on it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Gilgamesh wrote:

only sound frequencies... anything outside of that is compressed out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Gilgamesh wrote:

Phones do transmit frequency, every sound has a frequency! The key does work by transmitting a sound, but its frequency is above 125khz and phones are bandlimited to 3khz (landlines and mobiles) so it won't travel down the phone. The frequency of a human voice rarely passes 3khz anyway so there's no need for a higher bandwidth on a phone.

-Professor Zapho :D

• Advertisement

thanks for that Zapho, seems to make sense, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Gilgamesh wrote:
    thanks for that Zapho, seems to make sense, cheers

No prob!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Gerry wrote:
    You idiot.

Normally for unwarranted abuse, I'd give you a weeks ban.

But seeing as you're a mod, with a lot of posts, you should definitely know better. See you in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Zapho wrote:
    .... The key does work by transmitting a sound, but its frequency is above 125khz .....
    -Professor Zapho :D

Since when did Key Fobs transmit using soundwaves?.
    They operate the same as any transmitter, using Electromagnetic Waves.

check here if you want some additional insight.
    http://www.okwelectronics.com/

btw, I invented a golf ball with GPS and telemetery incorporated inside it, all internet accessible, so now it is impossible to brag about that 20 over par round (that normally shows up as 72 on the scorecard) at the 19th hole as your plays are being monitored live and available for all to see on the clubhouse monitor. It also monitors and reports those little lift and place events that normally go unrecorded. :D

But given i once saw a ghoast of whatever was being displayed on my PC monitor being displayed simultaneously on my TV, which was nearby, and I get a 2 sec forewarning on my car radio, in the form or interference, that my cell phone is going to ring. There may be some random EMF interference that may or may not randomly activate any adjacent receiver.

So any interaction or activity that may occur, benificial or otherwise, is happening at EMI level, not sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Silly Question? If your car has central locking...How the F*** can you be stupid enough to lock your keys in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ShockBlast RX8

ok sounds a little farfetched but it is posable to lock your keys in the car even if u need the key to unlock the car its called anti Hijack u try open ur car & it locks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

rubbish.
    You could use the mobile phone to break the window though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

beller b wrote:
    Silly Question? If your car has central locking...How the F*** can you be stupid enough to lock your keys in it?

u drop them in through a small crack left open in the sunroof, or one of the windows. My 89 Camry has fobless central locking, but not on the boot, so I locked them in there once... actually twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

ok sounds a little farfetched but it is posable to lock your keys in the car even if u need the key to unlock the car its called anti Hijack u try open ur car & it locks
    My Stilo has a "deadlock" which means you can actually lock someone inside the car but they can't get out without breaking a window.

Its actually "supposed" to be used so that if someone breaks the window and gets into your car they can't open the doors to get back out again cos' they're deadlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

now i think its all rubbish but before i thought it was true:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

im working in a garage so ill see if i can get someone to try it with me.Ill report back

Advertisement