Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV license - do you pay?

Options
  • 26-07-2005 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

I noticed on another thread here only 2% said they pay the TV license. I pay mine but I know alot of people who dont. I also heard that they cant check who does or who doesnt because they dont have access to information from the cable companies as to who is paying for cable so they cant cross reference with people who are/aren't paying the license.

I personally seldom watch RTE because there is usually nothing on worth watching. I watched the Charlie Haughey programme and some of the GAA matches recently but thats about it. If you dont watch RTE, do you have a case for not paying the license? Seems like an easy way for RTE to get money for not doing a whole lot. It should be state subsidised and get the rest of moeny from ads if they want to keep a state-run tv station and expenses should be cut way back. I read recently where they spend a fortune in taxi bills ferrying staff to and from the station. WHY??? No other job does that.

OK rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

homeOwner wrote:
    I noticed on another thread here only 2% said they pay the TV license. I pay mine but I know alot of people who dont. I also heard that they cant check who does or who doesnt because they dont have access to information from the cable companies as to who is paying for cable so they cant cross reference with people who are/aren't paying the license.

I personally seldom watch RTE because there is usually nothing on worth watching. I watched the Charlie Haughey programme and some of the GAA matches recently but thats about it. If you dont watch RTE, do you have a case for not paying the license? Seems like an easy way for RTE to get money for not doing a whole lot. It should be state subsidised and get the rest of moeny from ads if they want to keep a state-run tv station and expenses should be cut way back. I read recently where they spend a fortune in taxi bills ferrying staff to and from the station. WHY??? No other job does that.

OK rant over.

I don't (except once when I got the knock at the door)...

never watch rte/tg4.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

homeOwner wrote:
    I also heard that they cant check who does or who doesnt because they dont have access to information from the cable companies as to who is paying for cable so they cant cross reference with people who are/aren't paying the license.

Shouldn't you have a tv licence regardless? I thought that even if you don't watch the tv at all, you still had to pay the licence... I am of course open to correction.
    homeOwner wrote:
    I read recently where they spend a fortune in taxi bills ferrying staff to and from the station. WHY??? No other job does that.

If you are due into work when there is no public transport available, your job is required to provide transport for you, even when I was working in Dunnes they provided a mini bus home when the night-packing shift ended, and when working in a job where my start time was 8am on a Sunday morning a Taxi had to be provided. With the amount of night time deejaying going on (staff in no way being restricted to deejays either) there would be a lot of taxis required for RTE staff. In saying that, you would imagine that a lot of the staff working in RTE would be able to afford a car themselves...

Anyway this link should clear the TV licence issue up somewhat: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/public_utilities/telecommunications/tv_licences.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

as far as i'm aware you are required to pay for a tv license so long as there is at least 1 tv in your house that is capable/set up to receive tv signals...regardless of what station you watch or dont watch.

As for ferrying staff by taxi...companies are not required by law to do so...they only do it because if they didnt they would have staff working unsociable hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I really can't believe people don't pay these bills. In case you ever wonder who people refer to as scum it's you if you don't pay your TV licence. Unless you are in dire poverty there is no excuse. You are required by law to have a tv licence for any device that recieves TV signals.

I would have assumed most would say they don't pay TV licences is because many are youngish and live at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would have assumed most would say they don't pay TV licences is because many are youngish and live at home.
    Or a lot of them may be renting and the landlord pays the licence for the TV he supplied.

People who deliberately don't pay the TV licence are the same one who wonder why it's crap cos they don't have the money to spend on programmes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i pay the license but wheres the value for money??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

They have radars that can detect if you're watching TV :p Only kidding of course. They only way they can get you IMO is if you pay for your first one then they have you in their database. you could say you chucked the TV out i suppose but they'll just look in the window when you're least expecting it or they'll just look out for the blue flashes from your window. you can't hide forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I think you are required to pay per TV not per household. Many people have more than 1 but only pay for the 1 license. I think its a bit of a rip off myself although I pay it for fear of being caught.

seamus wrote:
    Or a lot of them may be renting and the landlord pays the licence for the TV he supplied.

There are very few landlords that provide TVs and pay licences. I also thought it was the person who lived in the property who is responsible. They can always ask the landlord to take the TV away if they don't want to pay.

seamus wrote:

When I rented a few years ago I had to pay the license, the landlord did supply a TV but told me I had to pay the license myself which I suppose is fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Interestingly the UK (I accept has a larger market) has the licence system, but comparatively is so much better. The BBC has no ads during programs, where as RTE cant go 15 mins without TV3 length ads, and then the 2+ RTE promo ones are driving me mad. How come a national broadcaster in the UK with 100s of stations (both Radio TV, and a large website[one of the busiest in the world]) can survive without ads but RTE with a handful of radio stations and only 3 channels needs to advertise.

It is annoying paying the TV licence but its the law, those who dont pay are as bad as drug runners who dont get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

homeOwner wrote:
    I think you are required to pay per TV not per household. Many people have more than 1 but only pay for the 1 license. I think its a bit of a rip off myself although I pay it for fear of being caught.
    1 household,
    1 license

astec123 wrote:
    Interestingly the UK (I accept has a larger market) has the licence system, but comparatively is so much better. The BBC has no ads during programs, where as RTE cant go 15 mins without TV3 length ads, and then the 2+ RTE promo ones are driving me mad. How come a national broadcaster in the UK with 100s of stations (both Radio TV, and a large website[one of the busiest in the world]) can survive without ads but RTE with a handful of radio stations and only 3 channels needs to advertise.

It is annoying paying the TV licence but its the law, those who dont pay are as bad as drug runners who dont get caught.

You can't really compare the BBC and RTE. Firstly the population in the UK is so much bigger. It also a early pioner in the field back in the days it had an empire so it's orginal network and audience was huge. To compare BBC to RTE is as fair as comparing Guiness to any other stout on the market. RTE has improved a lot and is begining to sell programs to other channels along with ideas. Believe it or not "THe Lyrics Borad" format was sold all over the world. THey still don't have enough money because so few pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

If they ever get their act together and start broadcasting on sky to the whole of the UK then maybe after 5 or 10 years they'll be a decent channel. To be fair to them they are improving but it'll take a hell of alot more money than the TV licence can provide. It's in the best interest of all Irish people to pay a TV licence IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The difference, astec is purely in terms of revenue coming in.

The UK licence is £121, ~ €175, so that's €20 more than us.
    There are 1.3 million households in this country. It's fair to say that the proportion of those without a TV is negligible. So 1.3m * €155 = €201.5m

The UK has a population 15 times greater than ours, so let's assume they've 19.5m households. 19.5 * €175 = €3,412m. A budget in fact 17 times more than RTE have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Gegerty wrote:
    They have radars that can detect if you're watching TV :p Only kidding of course.
    They used to use those, but these days it's just handier to turn up at the door of households that don't have them.

You are required to have a license for the ownership of any equipment that can receive terrestrial television signals. That means televisions, tv cards in computers, vcrs etc. You do not need to have one for equipment that can play DVDs but cannot receive TV signals (e.g. most computers without TV cards these days).

They cannot come into your house to ensure that you do not have a television. If you refuse entry they have to go and get a garda and a warrant, giving you enough time to make it to the post office if they call early enough in the day. Normally they call in the evening.

The last time an inspector called I answered the door holding two crying babies and said "your ****ing nuts if you think I'm looking for the license now". I had a license, but he was ****ing nuts if he thought I was looking for it then. He conceded defeat and went away.

Talliesin wrote:
    You are required to have a license for the ownership of any equipment that can receive terrestrial television signals.

I don't think that can be right as you only need one per household not by item. So in a shared house each person who owns a TV does not need to buy a licence each but they could all be charged for not having one each as each had responsibility.
    Not sure of it all but it's definitely by household not item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/channels/

Thats a lot of channels so to say it has a bigger budget is useless as budget is only significant when its broken down, it goes to a lot of channels. I can think of 12 stations owned by the BBC, and another 3 paper publications off the top of my head. RTE has 3 channels and 2 radio stations. It also does ad breaks every 15 mins and out selling. It is a perfect comparison as in truth the BBC has a similar budget per channel as RTE do.

astec123 wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/channels/

Thats a lot of channels so to say it has a bigger budget is useless as budget is only significant when its broken down, it goes to a lot of channels. I can think of 12 stations owned by the BBC, and another 3 paper publications off the top of my head. RTE has 3 channels and 2 radio stations. It also does ad breaks every 15 mins and out selling. It is a perfect comparison as in truth the BBC has a similar budget per channel as RTE do.

You are completely ignoring the other revenue BBC gets. RTE show BBC shows they pay BBC for like "One Foot in the Grave". Some of the other BBC channels create revenue in other parts of the world through subscription like BBC world. BBC documnetries are sold around the world to TV channels and on DVD. RTE doesn't get any revenue from this stuff on the same scale. THe Office was the biggest selling DVD in the UK ever for a while there. THE BBC also get revenue from the American versions of it's shows.
    You are in a dream world if you think RTE 1 and BBC 1 have the same budgets for TV shows. Their budget is also going to be weighted on the BBC channels with some costing very little as they are really repeats of shows from the main channels. Just because it is a channel doesn't mean it has new shows or a large budget. BBc 3 is really a channel that shows programs from the other ones not a huge cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Chalk wrote:
    1 household,
    1 license

That's completely wrong. You have to have one for each T.V. on the premises. They made a fortune going after pubs because of this recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

The concept of a "TV licence" is one that is totally alien to most of the rest of the world.

Though I don't necessarily disagree with the idea, after all it can (does?) allow RTE to concentrate on more expensive less "popular" highbrow programming without recourse to advertisments to fund those programmes entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Sleipnir wrote:
    That's completely wrong. You have to have one for each T.V. on the premises. They made a fortune going after pubs because of this recently.

Liar.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/public_utilities/telecommunications/tv_licences.html?search=tv+licence
    If the equipment capable of receiving a television signal (i.e., a television set, a personal computer), etc. is held in a household (i.e., apartment, flat, house), then one television licence will cover multiple pieces of equipment. In other words, if you have a television set in your living room and kitchen, one television licence covers both sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

kasintahan wrote:

aaahhh, so basically, if you're just a homeowner, one will do but if you're a landlord with flats etc, you need one for each.
    I suppose a pub's lounge and bar are "separate" for this so would require one for each separate space.

kasintahan wrote:
    The concept of a "TV licence" is one that is totally alien to most of the rest of the world.

Not totally sure thats true. I would imagine that any country with a government owned TV station they would collect a fee. I know Germany, France and Norway have one.

In the US they dont have a government owned TV station so there is no issue of collecting a fee - they are all privately owned (or publicly traded companies) or in the case of community stations/public access stations, receive donations from the public.

Sleipnir wrote:
    aaahhh, so basically, if you're just a homeowner, one will do but if you're a landlord with flats etc, you need one for each.
    I suppose a pub's lounge and bar are "separate" for this so would require one for each separate space.
    Did you read the supplied link? It is all explained the landlord NEVER has to pay for the licence for his tenants regardless of who owns the TV.
    I never understand why people are so lazy to actually look at the information provided yet think it is great to comment on it! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

homeOwner wrote:
    What a joke. Its one per household on the provision there is something there that can receive a signal.

I pay for the licence. Its used to fund the TV stations, radio stations and the Symphony Orchestra and the like.

If you're living in a block of new apartments and no one has a license, and one gets a license, the whole block will be queried.

I got a knock on the door one day. I had only finished moving in the boxes into the house (rented) and yer man knocked on the door. I had my handbag on my shoulder and the book of TV stamps (easier to pay €4 a week than the €150+ in a lot) in my hand on the way to the post office. The girl that had lived there before me never got a license and had always said she was getting one on pay day. He called a few times, and eventually the agency told her leave because it wasnt just that bill that she was behind on. I was lucky that its one of the first things i do when i move, because he came back that evening. He shouldnt have bothered - as it would have been in the computer by then.

If someone lived in a house before you and have changed their records to reflect their new address on the license, then they will check up either on their records/computers or call to the old address - when they have the time.

There was a case a few years ago about a woman living on one of the islands off the coast, and she had a TV but could never get a signal so she watched video's from the video shop on the mainland.
    They took her to court over the license - even though she couldnt get a signal. Eventually she won, otherwise she'd have had a lot to pay and they'd be able to do it to everyone.

Now they also require you to list your car's reg number on the licence if you've got a TV in your car.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Sleipnir wrote:

I'm afraid not Sleipnir - from the Oasis link:
    Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (i.e., an aerial, satellite dish, etc.,) must have a television licence...
    (sic)... then one television licence will cover multiple pieces of equipment
    Given that a pub is a business, then they are covered for all equipment by one licence
    However, if the building in which the equipment is kept (i.e., the house, etc.) is sub-divided into flats, apartments, separate living quarters, then a separate television licence must be held for each of these quarters. In other words, an individual licence must be held for each separate flat, apartment, etc.

Each flat, apartment, duplex, whatever you want to call it, is still a "household" - no mention of landlords or any of that crap - if you watch it then you have to pay.

I pay for mine BTW, and while I do not watch a lot of home grown stuff, mainly current affairs, the imports such as CSI:XXX and Lost still cost money after all

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Bamboozled wrote:
    Now they also require you to list your car's reg number on the licence if you've got a TV in your car.

Interesting, when did they bring that in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Sleipnir wrote:
    apology accepted then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

Dr. Spock wrote:
    Interesting, when did they bring that in?
    Yonks ago. The last two times i've gone for mine they asked was it for a house or a car, and there's space there for the car reg. no.

Advertisement