Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A friend of a friend said............

• 26-07-2005 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

At the very least, this is third hand information, but here you go anyway.

A subscriber to a UK based mailing list I read posted the following-
    While we're on guns. A friend of mine had a licenced smooth bore 303 and shotgun confiscated by the firearms bloke from Glasgow police the other day.
    The guy wasn't happy with where the gun cabinet was, despite it being put there on the advise of the previous bloke and the shotgun was taken because " you haven't bought any cartridges for ages, therefore you don't need it"
    !!!! Can this be right?? is there some kind of appeals procedure??
    Bearing in mind the 'Chinese Whispers' nature of the source of this information, is there any possibility it may have some grain of truth in it?

Seems pretty draconian to me, if it is true :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The story doesn't sound right.

It is the case in the UK that if you apparently aren't using a rifle, you won't get a renewal of your FAC as you no longer "need" it. Normally this happens in the case of people who hold a FAC on the basis of club membership, if they don't turn up at the club from one end of the year to the other, questions will be asked.

Shotguns are a different kettle of fish. You don't need to show a "need" to get a shotgun cert - you only get refused because you arne't a fit person to get one, or can't secure it properly.

So the story is falling apart a bit already. The security bit sounds strange too. If one Firearms Liason Officer approved storage arrengements, the owner woule have a strong case that they are suitable.

That said, just like over here, some officers have been known to exceed their authority - so it's hard to tell.

Advertisement