Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horror Movies

Options
  • 26-07-2005 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so i'm going to the Premier of "Skeleton Key" tonight (my date stood me up but thats another story!!) ... & it had me wondering .... Does believing in the paranormal effect anyone here's enjoyment of horror movies?

6th

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's not a horror film, but I'd been looking into precognition and the spiritual aspects of it when I saw Donnie Darko and loved it because of it that. Some of the stuff I'd read here about life after death and ghosts made that recent film about EMF (White Noise I think it was called) more interesting too. I generally don't like horror films because they usually don't have anything in them that I can convince myself is scary so it helps if you can relate to something or have some kind of understanding of what is supposed to be scaring you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 captain How'dy

(White Noise I think it was called) That film had the making of a classic horror but sadly let me down big time... I strongly believe in the paranormal and I find films like that a complete piss take... I was so dissapointed with the ending :mad: It just went completely ****e about half way through

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Back home, I just realised that we receive the Horror Channel, so I reckon I'll be watching a good bit more horror now! Anyone else have this channel?

(White Noise I think it was called) That film had the making of a classic horror but sadly let me down big time... I strongly believe in the paranormal and I find films like that a complete piss take... I was so dissapointed with the ending :mad: It just went completely ****e about half way through
    Yeah, it could have been better. I suppose I see it as being good because it was much less ridiculous than I expected it to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dagon wrote:
    Back home, I just realised that we receive the Horror Channel, so I reckon I'll be watching a good bit more horror now! Anyone else have this channel?

Yes, and it shows absolutely **** movies 24/7.

About White Noise, fantastic promise, great idea, well executed until about half way through, where it just turned to ****. Pity. Some good scenes.

I guess believing in something that is supposed to be terrifying regardless would make it a little creepier....but I'm a wimp, I scare easily :o

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Youve kinda got two types of horror movie, your shlock horror (Van Helsing, The Ring etc) and your psychological horror (sixth sense and what lies beneath are the only ones that come to mind) The first kind are a hoot and nobody in their right mind would take them seriously. The second kind make you think more, they play with your mind rather than playing with buckets of gore. When they are handled well they really work. Ive had a few that make me feel, yeah, that makes sense to me.

Good point, the best horror film I've seen in years, possibly ever, was Identity (or maybe Identities ?). Largely because it was something I could believe happening, or possibly even be happening to me right now :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭jptk

KatieK wrote:
    Youve kinda got two types of horror movie, your shlock horror (Van Helsing, The Ring etc) and your psychological horror (sixth sense and what lies beneath are the only ones that come to mind) The first kind are a hoot and nobody in their right mind would take them seriously. The second kind make you think more, they play with your mind rather than playing with buckets of gore. When they are handled well they really work. Ive had a few that make me feel, yeah, that makes sense to me.

The origional "ring" is not a shlock horror.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

jptk wrote:
    The origional "ring" is not a shlock horror.
    I know, its japanese and much better than the hollywood version by all accounts, but Ive only seen the US version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

My belief in the paranormal leaves me immune to horror. I've never sat down in front of a horror movie and thought "ooh, scary". Also, I'm subconciously counting the mistakes and misconceptions hollywood enforces in regards to ghosts, vampires, werewolves etc. as I watch. Just can't help myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm sorry, but the "misconceptions about vampires and werewolves"?

You reaslise that that implies they're are real? By definition anything about vampires(aside from people who drink blood) and werewolves has been made up by someone, why isnt hollywood allowed to demonstrate its own interpretation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

I take it then you've never heard of porphyria or lycantrophy. I don't consider myself an expert on the matter,but yes, vampires and werewolves are very real. Whether the monsters of legend or just ordinary people is beyond my ability to say. However, if hollywood was to make a movie about the preconceived notions people have of, say the islamic faith, we would get something far and away from the religion it is, wouldn't we? However, far from reality, hollywood just doesn't even adhere to legend. Why would a vampire fear the crucifix? What if it's a buddhist vampire? I'm not going to go into that though because that's really just the early christian attempt to stampout other religions by amalgamating beliefs into their own, and I shan't digress.

Belief in ghosts is just as valid as believing in other legends and myths, all of which had a starting point somewhere along the line. I remain open-mindedly sceptical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

I take it then you've never heard of porphyria or lycantrophy.
    I don't consider myself an expert on the matter,but yes, vampires and werewolves are very real.

But people affected by these diseases don't run around like wolves howling at a full moon..or people have everlasting life after being assaulted by some psycho..et cetera.

Have you met a vampire? I have, just the other day at the bookies.
    3/1 on eastenders ending within the next 12 months..seems he'd become more a gambler and soap enthusiast these days someone who drinks blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 makeitcount

Watched that movie on a flight, maybe it was the tiny screen but I thought it was terrible

Advertisement