Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New machine - No XP CD. Implications?

• 26-07-2005 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at tiny.com for a new machine (laptop). It looks as if I take the standard warranty then the machine does not ship with XP disk or recovery disk.

I assume that part of the purchase price is a license fee which goes to ms which buys me the right to use XP on the machine I have bought. What if I need to reload the OS, though?

How widespread is this policy?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

As far as I'm aware, in these cases the OS is loaded into a "hidden" partition on the machine, if you need to reload the OS it comes from there. Presumably they have some whizz-bang way of kicking off a recovery.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

squibs wrote:
    How widespread is this policy?

Almost universal.

Some manufacturers (Packard Bell) let you burn your own copy (once) in addition to being able to restore off the hidden partition (via a function key on boot).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

So if the drive dies, you need to buy a new copy of XP? That's criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I thought it was illegal not to provide a physical CD with either WinXp or a recovery Image???
    Packard Bell shipped(unsure about now) recovery CD's with their new machines and an invisible 2GB partition was on th Hard Drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

There called options,

I was doing a bit of work on a packard bell lappy a couple of weeks ago needed the cd the owner of the laptop did not have one, so they rang packard bell they have a optional recovery cd for sale something like 45 euro's.

Pretty sure its not illegal either, tiny do it all the time and i remember reading a article in one of the pc mags a couple of months ago, they asked the same question and where told its a option...... and they don't have to supply it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OT - tiny ? I've heard more bad stories than good, might want to ask in the laptop forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I've found the best option is to use something like Norton Ghost.. Get your PC the way you want it then burn a complete copy of your drive to DVD.Much better than reinstalling windows anyday..

beller b - of course! Great idea. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i would not buy a tiny r time pc as the main company whihc owns both is going down the pan ala compustore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

irishgeo wrote:
    i would not buy a tiny r time pc as the main company whihc owns both is going down the pan ala compustore.

most of Tiny and Packard Bell\NEC laptops are FIC stuff. Some of it is great and some not so good. Read some reviews and see how you get on. At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your chance as they say!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Time and Tiny have just gone into administration, so I'd stay away from them if you're big into your aftersales.

I ended up going for a dell - see my post in the laptops forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Lucky you, apparently people who had bought from them are not going to get their PC or their money back.

Advertisement