Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem connecting laptop & Desktop to wireless Router at the same time

• 26-07-2005 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi,

I'm just going mental trying to figure out how to connect both my Desktop and Laptop to my wirelss router at the same time.

As things stand, I can connect either the laptop on its own or the desktop on its own and and can connect to the internet without any bother. As soon as I try to connect another wireless device, though, I get absolutely no joy.

The setup I have at the moment is as follows:

1.NTL cable modem for internet connection.

2.BT Openworld Voyager 2200 adsl wireless router/modem (I know this isn't ideal but it still works for the purposes of connecting one wireless PC/laptop to the internet.)

3.Desktop connected to one of the LAN ports on the router.

4.Laptop setup with a compatible wirelss card.

Now, as I said before, if I take the desktop out of the loop, the wireless connection for the lapotop works fine. If I don't try to connect using the laptop, the desktop connecting via the LAN cable works fine. It's only a problem when I try to use the two at the same time.

As far as my trouble-shooting skills have got me so far, is that it must be a problem with the configuration, as both the Cable Modem and the router are trying to assign ip addresses so the first computer to connect to the wireless router gets the ip address and any subsequent computers trying to connect do not get assigned an ip address.

Is this what's causing the problem and more importantly, does anyone know how I can fix it?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated as this is really beginning to do my head in.

Cheers,

Jay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Are you using DHCP? You havent statically assigned both the desktop and laptop the same IP address by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay1971

Nope, they're both using DHCP. I was thinking the problem may be to do with the fact that both the NTL modem and the wireless router are trying to dynamically assign the ip adresses.....what do you reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

erm you can't have both doing the dhcp assignment won't work.

Do a search in the forums plenty of other people who have had similiar problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay1971

Tanks for that but I can't seem to find anything relevant in the forums?

Did you have a specific thread in mind?

Cheers,

Jay.

Advertisement