Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat leased line with x.21/v.11 connection

Options
  • 26-07-2005 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I've been asked to connect a PC up to an Esat leased line modem. The modem itself only has one connection coming out of it called x.21/v.11. It looks similar to a serial port only with slightly more pins.

I'm trying to get some sort of converter so it can be patched into an rj45 ethernet connection. Does anyone know who might sell these? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

X.21? Antique :)

X.21 will give you speeds roughly equivalent to 56k modems - usually lower rates. What I thought you would need is a router with an X.21 interface and an ethernet interface. Dunno about anything you can connect directly.
    However, this may be a "proper" leased line (i.e. an E1 or something like that that gets decent speeds), as they can come with serial connections. Again I'd recommend a router with a serial interface.

Do you know the actual speed of the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Not actually sure on the speed though I think it is only 56K speed. I was thinking a router would be the way to go but I don't know where you can get routers with that type of input? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Cisco certainly have routers with those interfaces.
    Dunno who'd supply them in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

lamaq
    I think you will need a router of some type ( cisco etc)
    X21 to rj45 converters are not readily available.
    They also tend to give problems with clocking etc from the line.
    cisco 2500 routers are usually used with the ESAT NTU that you have

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

I found a Cisco 1720 router with a serial cable that fits. Seems to be missing about 3 pins by design so I'm not sure if it is for an x.21 connection or not. Now I have to configure the router. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You'd normally use a basic cisco with an x21 port and an ethernet port to do the conversion.

Either that or relace the line with DSL, Wireless or Fiber :)

Advertisement