Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't access Sex and Sexuality Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Just a quick note on the above. The way to become a subscriber is to pay via paypal. We're going to stop accepting cash/cheque/bank transfers. If you do it by paypal, its instant and verifiable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Regi wrote:
    Just a quick note on the above. The way to become a subscriber is to pay via paypal. We're going to stop accepting cash/cheque/bank transfers. If you do it by paypal, its instant and verifiable.

Right, after many moons faffing around I decided to cough up my hard earned 5 Euro. But I still get the message I'm that I'm not authorised. How come ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Regi wrote:

Aye...but not everyone has a Credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

RuggieBear wrote:
    Aye...but not everyone has a Credit card.
    Perhaps those are the type of people that aren't wanted as boards.ie subscribers?

Ever think that? They're not the smart dollar - not a good demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Regi wrote:
    regi wouldn't take my cash in person... no matter how many underhanded techniques i used to put it in his pocket :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Perhaps those are the type of people that aren't wanted as boards.ie subscribers?

Ever think that? They're not the smart dollar - not a good demographic.

Yeah, they would be the type that wouldn't subscribe to PPV football because it used to be available free elsewhere. The type that wouldn't bother signing up for The Adult Channel.

I really think it's funny when ecksor says "You just won't be reading it then like you didn't read it before it was created." Sorry but I think we were all well able to read it before because it was in AH and PI. Now you're just trying to charge for something that you used to provide for free and personally I think that sucks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Well, I think that it sucks that I continue answering to you clueless bellyaching whingebags but we all have our crosses to bear. Seriously, I don't know exactly what you think boards.ie owes you.

If we were doing it for profit then what difference would that make to you anyway? As it is I'm coming in here and honestly answering your questions to this sort of response and I wonder why I bother.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Despatch wrote:
    I think you guys just smelled money once you realised the demand for such a forum exists..

do you begruge the admins a bit of dosh?
    servers don't come free you know and whatever why you look at it, boards costs money to run

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

lol @ Despatch.

Poor fella. Someone give him a hug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Its nothing to do with demographics or 'smart dollars' and everything to do with ease of tracking it from our point of view.

Tracking cash + cheques + bank transfers = total pain in the ass.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote:
    do you begruge the admins a bit of dosh?
    servers don't come free you know and whatever why you look at it, boards costs money to run

No, I don't begrudge you the money. What I have a problem with is that you have repackaged part of the content from at least two existing forums in order to create a new one that you have pay a subscription fee for in order to view. I understand it takes money to run your site but it one extra forum is hardly going to break the donkeys back is it?

ecksor wrote:
    Well, I think that it sucks that I continue answering to you clueless bellyaching whingebags but we all have our crosses to bear. Seriously, I don't know exactly what you think boards.ie owes you.

If we were doing it for profit then what difference would that make to you anyway? As it is I'm coming in here and honestly answering your questions to this sort of response and I wonder why I bother.

I wonder if I paid my subs would I subjected to this kind of **** from you? I'm only here to express my opinion as a user of boards. You really don't like opposing points of view do you?

I think Despatch is Sex and Sexuality frustrated.... :p

RuggieBear wrote:
    I think Despatch is Sex and Sexuality frustrated.... :p

Hardly, and besides there about a million other places on the internet to talk about sex so what makes this one so special that we have to subscribe to it?

What does your point of view have to do with anything? Let's see, I discussed the creation of the forum with an admin and an SMod, discussed the pros and cons and how we were going to approach it and then when asked on here came on to explain the rationale. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. Just because you've drawn a conclusion based on zero information doesn't make your "point of view" at all relevant.

Trojan wrote:
    lol @ Despatch.

Poor fella. Someone give him a hug.

Just try it and see what happens.

ecksor wrote:
    What does your point of view have to do with anything?

Don't you place any value in the feedback and opinions of the users of your site? You could do worse than listening to your users every now and then. Every user is a potential customer until you choose to insult them rather than engage in discussion which is all I was trying to do.

Despatch - you mention "repackaging part of the content" from 2 existing boards, one of which being AH - I'd like to address that (I do not speak for PI).

I am extremely uncomfortable with topics related to sex or sexuality being available on AH due to the wide audience, especially given the large numbers of u18s using AH. If you check history, particularly in Feedback, you'll see that (my) policy of locking threads has been criticised in the past, and that this issue has generated a lot of debate. Yet many of us believe that such discussion of these topics should not be held on AH. Boards users are not losing content fromAH, because if the content that will be posted on S&S was posted on AH, I am the first one to delete it (unless seamus, WWM, Monty et al get there before me ;)).

In that line I strongly welcome the new forum, and I note that payment is a useful (although not foolproof) method of age validation. I believe that the majority of Boards users will appreciate Boards enough to give back something towards the running costs (and the huge amount of work that the admins do) if wish to access this "Premium Content".

That you are not part of my conjectured majority... well, there have always been naysayers, and there always will be naysayers. You are a naysayer - congratulations.

--

Sorry about the "Premium Content" guys ;)

As I pointed out, this isn't a matter of a point of view. If you don't want to get insulted then perhaps you shouldn't wade into the middle of things you know nothing about suggesting that people are liars. There are plenty of plans to leverage boards to make a bit of money. This isn't one of them.

Despatch wrote:

But I love a good hug...don't you?

• Advertisement

Despatch wrote:
    What'll happen - will you give me a kiss? You'd want to be careful, you don't know my sexual orientation ;)

Trojan wrote:
    I am extremely uncomfortable with topics related to sex or sexuality being available on AH due to the wide audience, especially given the large numbers of u18s using AH.

In that line I strongly welcome the new forum, and I note that payment is a useful (although not foolproof) method of age validation.

I agree with everthing quoted above so on that basis why couldn't a credit card validation system be used, not to charge but simply to verify the person is above 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Despatch wrote:
    Don't you place any value in the feedback and opinions of the users of your site? You could do worse than listening to your users every now and then. Every user is a potential customer until you choose to insult them rather than engage in discussion which is all I was trying to do.
    Well, this was pretty much created due to feedback/pressure from the users.

People wanted this board, and the Admins refused (backed up by many of the Mods) based on the sheer unmanageability of the forum. All of the time here is given free, so regardless of how much the users want something, the Admins have to consider the cost of their time, and the Mods' time before they create a new forum.

So by making it PPV, it was win-win. Boards.ie hopefully encourages more people to sign up and help the website to actually survive the rest of this year, and the mods get more control over access.

FYI, a couple of times in the last few months I came very close to banning all sexual discussion on AH anyway.

Trojan wrote:
    What'll happen - will you give me a kiss? You'd want to be careful, you don't know my sexual orientation ;)

You're right, I don't.

Is the Sex and Sexuality forum a sub-forum of PI ?? If so then it might explain why I can't access it still.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Ok ok so then if I become subsciber right, I get access to this forum yeah?

For a paypal newbie:

Which options do I choose:

1) Personal Account.

2) Premier Account.

3) Send Money.

ecksor wrote:
    As I pointed out, this isn't a matter of a point of view. If you don't want to get insulted then perhaps you shouldn't wade into the middle of things you know nothing about suggesting that people are liars. There are plenty of plans to leverage boards to make a bit of money. This isn't one of them.

I never suggested you were a liar, only that you had additional motives.

Oh and I forgot to add that it was only yesterday before any of this came to my attention that I was considering buying a full subscription anyway. Now considering your attitude I don't think I'll bother. It's a pity something like this can't be discussed without things turning nasty but that seems to be the way around here. I know some others on this thread have made joking remarks and they don't bother me at all but ecksor, your attitude has been far from customer friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

K-TRIC wrote:
    Is the Sex and Sexuality forum a sub-forum of PI ?? If so then it might explain why I can't access it still.
    It's under Soc, and it's called Honk on the drop-downs (twill be updated tomorrow).
    Ok ok so then if I become subsciber right, I get access to this forum yeah?

For a paypal newbie:

Which options do I choose:

1) Personal Account.

2) Premier Account.

3) Send Money.
    You're better off signing up with a personal account. That way you can subscribe to boards through your UserCP.

seamus wrote:
    It's under Soc, and it's called Honk on the drop-downs (twill be updated tomorrow).

Yep, found it. Still can't access it though. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Despatch wrote:
    I know some others on this thread have made joking remarks and they don't bother me at all but ecksor, your attitude has been far from customer friendly.
    Surely if you haven't contributed anything to the site you're not a customer?

Advertisement