Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't access Sex and Sexuality Forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I actually I did an ould dry run of the subscription process a moment ago and apparently you dont have to be a paypal member but you can still pay through paypal is this correct. Also what do I get for becoming member and lets say I send my money through paypal this evening when will my subscription be active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Despatch wrote:
    I really think it's funny when ecksor says "You just won't be reading it then like you didn't read it before it was created." Sorry but I think we were all well able to read it before because it was in AH and PI. Now you're just trying to charge for something that you used to provide for free and personally I think that sucks.
    Eh no. PI remains unchanged as to what is on-topic, AH was always considered a problematic place for such threads, and they'd always degenerate into "oh, boobies" after 3 posts. Maybe that'll happen on Sex & Sexuality too, but we'll try to moderate things so that threads that start serious continue serious.

Subscription was started to solve a problem that the admins, in particular DeVore, had viz. that many boards.ie regulars asked him how they could give him money to chip in to running the site. If you don't want to do that then don't.

You aren't happy with the way this is set up, your feedback has been noted. Since boards doesn't actually owe you anything that's pretty much the matter closed, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Amz wrote:
    Surely if you haven't contributed anything to the site you're not a customer?

Correct but wouldn't you agree that every user is a potential customer?

I have no bother contributing now that I have a job and credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

K-TRIC wrote:
    Yep, found it. Still can't access it though. :mad:
    New subscribers need to be added manually. Try it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Despatch wrote:
    your attitude has been far from customer friendly.

Your not a boards.ie Customer at all,
    your a member of the community.
    Where other members of that community
    do things for the good and benefit of that community;
    This include subscribing if you feel you wish too.
    You dont pay the wages of the admins, or the mods who make the place run
    plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Well it's not an automatic process which it probably should be.

After payment how long should we wait until we are allowed access?

Thanks

Talliesin wrote:
    Eh no. PI remains unchanged as to what is on-topic, AH was always considered a problematic place for such threads, and they'd always degenerate into "oh, boobies" after 3 posts. Maybe that'll happen on Sex & Sexuality too, but we'll try to moderate things so that threads that start serious continue serious.

Subscription was started to solve a problem that the admins, in particular DeVore, had viz. that many boards.ie regulars asked him how they could give him money to chip in to running the site. If you don't want to do that then don't.

You aren't happy with the way this is set up, your feedback has been noted. Since boards doesn't actually owe you anything that's pretty much the matter closed, isn't it?

As I said, I was about to subscribe before I saw this, now I'm not so sure so I'll probably leave it for a while. Or forever.

Amz wrote:
    Surely if you haven't contributed anything to the site you're not a customer?
    Indeed, one of the big issues boards had when it started accepting subscribers was how to make it clear than even when you subscribe, it's still the autocratic benign dictatorship we know and love.

Exactly thats what I would like to know.

I must say I do realise this place needs to be kept well, and I would be more than happy to contribute with a subscription.

• Advertisement

Despatch wrote:
    Correct but wouldn't you agree that every user is a potential customer?
    No. Every user is a potential donator. The problem is that boards.ie cannot sustain itself at its current level of growth. If the userbase started levelling off, and perhaps even dropping because of the way they were bein treated, then the problem would also be solved, because the site wouldn't cost so much to run. Not the ideal solution, but a solution all the same.

Note that this is just my view.

New subscribers, PM any of the Smods or mods of the forum, and we'll give you access.

Thaed wrote:
    Your not a boards.ie Customer at all,
    your a member of the community.
    Where other members of that community
    do things for the good and benefit of that community;
    This include subscribing if you feel you wish too.
    plain and simple.

Did you see that? It was my point, you missed it. Read back a couple of posts.

Despatch wrote:
    As I said, I was about to subscribe before I saw this, now I'm not so sure so I'll probably leave it for a while. Or forever.
    I wouldn't let it bother you, I'd be incline to ban you anyway even if you were a subscriber tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

seamus wrote:
    New subscribers need to be added manually. Try it again.

Jaysus, you're making me feel like an real end-user !!

Still can't open it :confused:

Talliesin wrote:
    I wouldn't let it bother you, I'd be incline to ban you anyway even if you were a subscriber tbh.

Ban me for what? Expressing a point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

K-TRIC wrote:
    Yep, found it. Still can't access it though. :mad:

could it be something to do with your usergroup permissions. Notice you still have the reg user silver stars....if you change to the subscriber usergroup within your user CP, might that give you access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Talliesin wrote:
    Last time i checked mods couldnt issue site-wide bans, thats for admins. And last time i checked that, you werent one of those.
    Thaed wrote:
    plain and simple.

Mods get paid a wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Deadwing wrote:
    Last time i checked mods couldnt issue site-wide bans, thats for admins. And last time i checked that, you werent one of those.

Talliesin is a super-mod, and probably secretly part of the Superfriends Cabal
    Deadwing wrote:
    Mods get paid a wage?
    In kind....
    RuggieBear wrote:
    could it be something to do with your usergroup permissions. Notice you still have the reg user silver stars....if you change to the subscriber usergroup within your user CP, might that give you access?
    This is what I thought of too. Change to subscriber, you get an automatic email with the names and phone numbers of boards.ie groupies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Deadwing wrote:

Mods get paid a wage?
    S-mods can site ban.

C-mods can category ban- 5 silver stars

Tall is an S-mod- hence 4 gold stars.

Mods get paid in coke & hookers iirc.

Edit: Wot Wizzard said

Deadwing wrote:
    He's a Super Moderator. We *can* issue site wide bans. I think he was referring to a ban from the new forum.
    Mods get paid a wage?
    The ones who have jobs anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Despatch wrote:
    Oh and I forgot to add that it was only yesterday before any of this came to my attention that I was considering buying a full subscription anyway. Now considering your attitude I don't think I'll bother. It's a pity something like this can't be discussed without things turning nasty but that seems to be the way around here. I know some others on this thread have made joking remarks and they don't bother me at all but ecksor, your attitude has been far from customer friendly.

That's fine, better to discover how the place works before committing your money and regretting it later.

ecksor wrote:
    That's fine, better to discover how the place works before committing your money and regretting it later.

Good advice there for anyone considering signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Despatch wrote:
    Good advice there for anyone considering signing up.
    Do you think you could find a smaller horse? It's getting hard to see you up there. :/

Despatch wrote:
    Ban me for what? Expressing a point of view?
    Being a prick. I'm an deranged megalomaniac who lets power go to my head you see, so I'd ban you just for that. :P
    Seriously, I wouldn't ban you, but I would keep an eye on you since you seem to merely want something to moan about.
    Deadwing wrote:
    I'm an SMod, I can site ban, though that wasn't what I was treatening to do.
    Despatch wrote:
    you have repackaged part of the content from at least two existing forums in order to create a new one that you have pay a subscription fee for in order to view.
    I'll type slower this time, and maybe you'll understand. The only forum that such content would once have been on is After Hours. That is true of all new forums. There were issues with such content being on AH to begin with. We didn't do it to encourage subscribers, but to make it more managable - personally I'd much rather have it open to all, but too many potential headaches were seen if that approach were taken.

Talliesin wrote:
    Being a prick. I'm an deranged megalomaniac who lets power go to my head you see, so I'd ban you just for that. :P
    Seriously, I wouldn't ban you, but I would keep an eye on you since you seem to merely want something to moan about.

I'm an SMod, I can site ban, though that wasn't what I was treatening to do.

I'll type slower this time, and maybe you'll understand. The only forum that such content would once have been on is After Hours. That is true of all new forums. There were issues with such content being on AH to begin with. We didn't do it to encourage subscribers, but to make it more managable - personally I'd much rather have it open to all, but too many potential headaches were seen if that approach were taken.

I understand the issue with AH and I already said so.

Did you read my suggestion about credit card validation? I didn't get any response on that point.

K-TRIC wrote:
    Still can't open it
    I checked, your name was on the list. I added it again for good measure. Try once more and if it doesn't work open a help ticket because something's going wrong at a tech level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

seamus wrote:
    If the userbase started levelling off, and perhaps even dropping because of the way they were bein treated, then the problem would also be solved

Boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin' too much, stfu.

I like it.

Despatch wrote:
    I understand the issue with AH and I already said so.
    Well, then what the heck are you talking about us removing content for forums for?
    Despatch wrote:
    Did you read my suggestion about credit card validation? I didn't get any response on that point.
    No I didn't. Really though, CC validation requires money to run, not the obvious choice for a site like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've read the thread with interest and can see both points of view. It's disappointing that it's come to this, but on the other hand there was a lot of as$holes out there acting the B0llis cause they'd nothing better to do.

IMO the most displeasing thing is that there seems to be the opinion that the admins/mods are somehow responsible for what 'little Jonny' see on this site, or any site for that matter. I'm completely against children having unsupervised internet access; it is the #1 stage for free speech in this world, and if some parent is offended by something their 'golden angel' finds online, they should look in the mirror and ask themselves would they let their kids play with matches.

bru

• Advertisement

bruachain wrote:
    if some parent is offended by something their 'golden angel' finds online, they should look in the mirror and ask themselves would they let their kids play with matches.
    Unfortunately, the law thinks boards.ie should be the policeman, not the parent.

Advertisement