Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Broadband

• 26-07-2005 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering what everyone's experiences with the service was, especially the 3mbit connection. Has anyone recently signed up? Any delays/etc? Also what speed most people get on their connection and the download amounts achieved per month.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 WiredMan

Hey Wolverine,

I've used the DigiWeb BizJet enhanced for quite a while now (was 1mbps, now 3mbps) and I'd have to say it's quite crap. Download speeds from FTP/HTTP are great but gaming and file sharing (I'm talking downloading large files through BitTorrent - and not illegal ones for those who are assuming) are pretty poor. I get a minimun ping of 75ms and that's at good times, during the day this can regularly go up to 200+ms. I have heard rumors of throtteling, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway I reckon you'd get a much better connection using two seperate lines of 1mb/256kb (I'm in the process of getting this done). This should result in lower pings with a higher upload (sacraficing the 1mb down would be worth it in my opinion). It should also work out around the same price.

Anyway hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

thanks for the info

i think im just a bit worried about the caps and stuff... streaming content can build up A LOT of GB per month, and am just wondering what your experience is regarding this?

Thanks!

p.s I am actually getting the connection myself, and will post my own experiences once i do receive the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Wolverine bud iv never had any problems with digiweb im on the 3mbit package.
    i always get max dl speed on all HTTP or Bittorrent or p2p and have never had my
    connection speed capped. like you pay for 3mbit thats what you get.
    if i were you id go with digiweb download 100GB in a month top speed all the way!

like to be getting good speeds with bittorrent you must have
    a few things a lot of seeds or seeds with real good upload
    speed, and don talk about some stupid public tracker cuz
    your not going to get good speeds there get in a private site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭job

On 3MB package here too and is flawless !

Downloads are always fast and online with Battlefield 2 (64 player) to UK servers and the game runs without lag.

As for cap, the two bizjets have no cap and have never noticed throttling since i've been with them.

• Advertisement

yo,

well i will be getting the service shortly, so hopefully i can provide some feedback also...regarding torrents, i know which configuration to use in any case, if i have to... I usually get the software off of the developers site though, don't really want to bother with torrents.

Perhaps it is just my area then (Athenry).

Best of luck with your connection, I hope it works out great for you!

dont want to bother with torrents...he he thats what you think.

WiredMan if its so bad dont pay for it., is that so hard!

hmmm,

i just don't understand how some people have no caps on this service at all, such as ricey, and others i've heard of throttling with speeds of 6kbps download... I reckon this is on the lower speed connections of 2mbit and 1mbit maybe. Not sure myself though. Are there any Digiweb users here who are using the 1 or 2mbit services? I would be more interested in the 3mbit service, as I will avail of it shortly.. Just to get a wider view of the Companies mission...

Thanks

ricey wrote:
    WiredMan if its so bad dont pay for it., is that so hard!

I am switching, going to get a second line with a 1mb/256kb DSL connection on each.

When I started their BizJet Ebhanced was 1mbps (not 3mbps) and there was no quality change between the two. I've found it *really* strange that I'm been getting 2.50mb+/190kb+ on all speedtests yet my ping is still never below 100ms (150ms to 200ms being the norm)! (The ping was the same when the line was 1mb)

As to what provider to switch to for the two lines, I don't know... :(

• Advertisement

well, you could get two BT lines for €45 per month exc vat. That would make €90 per month, roughly the same price you are paying now.. They offer 1MB down, 256k up, and are uncapped.

just wondering if I connect my own router, I will more than likely need a micro filter. Will it matter of which make the filter is? I have a Netgear 834 router at the moment, with 4RJ45 ports and the RJ11 port. If anyone has any "optimal" or performance enhancing configurations, please let me know..

Thanks

Well,

just got connected with Digiweb today, 3mbit down, 256k up. I don't know but the pings i have seem to be fairly good for Digiweb services.

PING 82.195.136.36 (82.195.136.36): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=0 ttl=60 time=60.0 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=1 ttl=60 time=60.0 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=2 ttl=60 time=60.0 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=3 ttl=60 time=60.0 ms

--- 82.195.136.36 ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 60.0/60.0/60.0 ms

I will try later when the line is clear. I will also post an irishisptest speed test.

P.S It took 3 working days to enable the line! That's including the LLU activation with Eircom. Router is being delivered at the moment, but i have my own one to use anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Those ping times are dreadfull for a dsl service!

Upload an irishisptest screengrab when you can.

I expect you'll get about 310KB-330KB from a 3Mbit DSL bitstream service.

Try pinging boards.ie again as 60ms really is fairly high!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

yup seems very high ! you should be getting about 25 to BOards from DSL !

60ms to Irish servers will be higher to UK games servers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭job

Hi Wolverine,

Glad to hear you got connected m8 !

I just did a ping test to boards.ie there and get 54/54ms, which i have always gotten. Never noticed any probs playing counter strike source or a 64 player game of BF2, runs perfect everytime on my rig.

Download speeds are 315kb/s constantly with newsleecher.

On the 3MB/256k package and connected to the Leixlip exchange.

job wrote:
    Hi Wolverine,

Glad to hear you got connected m8 !

I just did a ping test to boards.ie there and get 54/54ms, which i have always gotten. Never noticed any probs playing counter strike source or a 64 player game of BF2, runs perfect everytime on my rig.

Download speeds are 315kb/s constantly with newsleecher.

On the 3MB/256k package and connected to the Leixlip exchange.

Just tried irishisptest, always get 2.78mb/s download speed which works out around 315kbps. Works great! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Drapper wrote:
    yup seems very high ! you should be getting about 25 to BOards from DSL !

60ms to Irish servers will be higher to UK games servers !

You're assuming that Digiweb is connected to INEX. They may not be, which would explain high pings to Boards or whatever that IP address is.
    P.S It took 3 working days to enable the line! That's including the LLU activation with Eircom. Router is being delivered at the moment, but i have my own one to use anyway..

Minor technicality, but Digiweb is not an LLU provider, they resell Eircom's ADSL. So it took Eircom 3 days to enable the line, which is very good by their standards.

But anyway, i think the pings are fine...net is faster at home than it is at work...., connected with 2mbit sdsl at work i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Blaster99 wrote:
    You're assuming that Digiweb is connected to INEX. They may not be, which would explain high pings to Boards or whatever that IP address is.

http://www.idaireland.com/home/news.aspx?id=9&version=print&content_id=256
    Membership of INEX has grown by 70% in the past quarter and saw the addition of Microsoft as its first digital content service provider member. The existing impressive list of members includes; Bytel; Cable & Wireless; Clearwire Ireland; Colt Telecom; Digiweb; eircom; EsatBT; HEAnet; Hosting365; Internet Ireland; Irish Broadband; Magnet Networks; Microsoft; Netsource; NTL; Smart Telecom; Strencom.

Digiweb are connected to INEX...so I guess its just bad networking on Digiweb part.

• Advertisement

Might be bad networking on Digiweb's part alright, but I can confidently say that the internet is much fast than an Eircom 4mbit line I used to use. Webpages load a lot faster, and connections can be made much faster also.

p.s The router/modem arrived 1 day after the connection was activated! (Around half 8 in the morning actually, heh)

Advertisement