Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying off a loan early

Options
  • 26-07-2005 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this sounds like a rtfm question, but legal docs give me headache. I want to pay off a BOI variable-rate motorloan almost 2 years early. I know if I ring banking 365 they'll just tell me to go to my branch, but that's no use during working hours.

Do I need to give them notice of the intention to pay it off, and I assume there are penalties too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

no you don't, as soon as the loan is paid, the account for it is closed.
    this will be in the T&C of the contract, so don't worry about it, if you can pay it off, then good for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

On penalties, any time I've asked about fixed V variable I've been told that fixed rate loans attract penalties for early payment, but variable rate loans don't. Dunno about that in practise though.

(Is it practise or practice? I can never remember.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

i did this a while ago. I paid off the loan on-line, then rang my branch and told them. they then calculated interest due to that date and applied that to the account which i then paid off. this was a fixed rate loan and there were no penalties.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

My first fixed rate had a complicated forumla for early repayment. The last one I paid off early didn't have any of it - just ring the branch ask them for the balance to close the loan and its usually valid for a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Under the Consumer Credit Act, there can be no penalties for early payment of a variable rate loan. There may be issues around outstanding interest which isn't showing in the balance on your account, but if you make one payment now, then a final one when the next interest charge hits, you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Variable is no big deal , just call the bank and find out how much you owe and all the loan account details. I've done it a few times. Fixed loans can have penalties. As some of the other posters have said the loan account is automatically closed.
    If it was a 365 loan then call 1850 365 100 and they'll tell you what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers guys. Easy peasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

If you had payment protection on it make sure they refund the remaining 2 years to you as this would generally be factored into the cost of the loan at the start.

Advertisement