Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundproofing - The Definitive Thread

Options
  • 26-07-2005 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

OK, here's the deal. Neibhbours have forced an impasse where its either soundproof to an industrial standard or move house.

Given that moving house would cost 30-40k in Stamp Duty how much would it cost to soundproof a 3 bed terraced house walls, floors, attic, joists the full shebang to the extent that our neighbours could be hosting a Speedy J concert in their bedroom and we wouldn't notice?

I'm looking for

1) Costs for a proper industrial job: floors, walls, attic, joists to max level
    2) Anyone provide this service, or know anyone who does
    3) Anyone with any actual experience of having this work done on their house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OK, here's the deal. Neibhbours have forced an impasse where its either soundproof to an industrial standard or move house.
    Why? Aren't there any noise abatement laws and procedures in Ireland? And, anyway, why should you move, why not them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Why? Aren't there any noise abatement laws and procedures in Ireland?

You can complain to the EPA, it takes years, is practically impossible to enforce yada yada yada.
    And, anyway, why should you move, why not them?

We're 'blow-ins' apparently.

This is all a side issue, soundproofing advice only please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I know you want soundproofing advice only but im not clear - is it you or them making the noise?
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/environment/noise_regulations.html

I am currently sound proofing my shed DIY

Im using 18mm sound block plasterboard and rockwool studs.

Oh, its them making the noise. unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce on one side and drunken singing on the other.

Thanks for the link, but to be honest if you have to take your neighbours to court its not really going to be a particularly pleasant situation to live in, now is it? I can do without the stress.

I'm meeting a guy from a soundproofing company on thursday. Apparently its €170 per square metre to soundproof, price comes down over 20 square metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

magpie wrote:
    Apparently its €170 per square metre to soundproof, price comes down over 20 square metres.

OMG, Ive always wondered the cost of this and that seems expensive. However Ive no idea of the amount of work involved etc.

• Advertisement

I not sure about the effectiveness of my solution
    mine is slightly different in that it's in a shed at the end of a garden!
    have you tried talking to them? You would surprised how often that can work

From the small bit of research ive done on it there are many solutions but none 100%
    The problem with a terrace it that there is no airgap between buildings so vibrations are almost impossible to stop. Hopefully you get a real expert! - maybe call into a rehersal studio they can give good advice i went into one and asked - was lucky that they were in the process of sound proofing a room.

have you tried talking to them? You would surprised how often that can work

:rolleyes: What a brilliant ****ing idea. I must try that. :rolleyes: Yes I've tried talking to them...
    From the small bit of research ive done on it there are many solutions but none 100%
    The problem with a terrace it that there is no airgap between buildings so vibrations are almost impossible to stop.

There must be a way, even if it involves losing a foot all round and tearing the arse out of the house.

magpie wrote:
    :rolleyes: What a brilliant ****ing idea. I must try that. :rolleyes: Yes I've tried talking to them... .

youre welcome neighbour - I can see why they prob told you to go jump.

If you post looking for advice then take it but don't come giving me sh1t when i try to give it.

I'm looking for

I'm not looking for

1) Links to the EPA
    2) Suggestions about how 'we can all get along if only we'd talk about it'

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

magpie wrote:
    :rolleyes: What a brilliant ****ing idea. I must try that. :rolleyes: Yes I've tried talking to them...

You really are a pleasant guy aren't you? :rolleyes:

Did you hurt your knuckles as you dragged them down your garden path and then up theirs to lodge your complaint?

B.

• Advertisement

magpie wrote:
    I'm looking for

I'm not looking for

1) Links to the EPA
    2) Suggestions about how 'we can all get along if only we'd talk about it'

Thanks!
    Personally I hope they turn the music up

If this wasn't a source of a lot of irritation I would hardly be consdering shelling out €170 per sq metre would I? So you'll have to excuse me if I have short shrift for blindingly obvious suggestions like 'just talk to them'. I've talked to them at least 20-30 times and as I stated in my original post its now reached an impasse. I'm now looking for facts/costs, not platitudes closely followed by unwarranted abuse.

That's fair enough, I'm sure you are p1ssed off with the situtation but venting your anger on a group of people that you don't know and from whom you've asked advice is a sure fired way to get bugger all help from.

B.

That's fair enough, I'm sure you are p1ssed off with the situtation but venting your anger on a group of people that you don't know and from whom you've asked advice is a sure fired way to get bugger all help from.

B.

True, I apologise.

Lack of being able to relax in my own home / be guaranteed a night's sleep has left me tetchy to say the least. Let's hope this soundproofing guy can come up with a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

It's obvious Magpie is irritated at this, don't go all sensitive about it - he/she stated clearly in the original what they were looking for - "Neibhbours have forced an impasse" to me it was obvious that everything else has been tried. Magpie wish you the best of luck.

Thanks Ann

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Magpie,

Would you consider doing it your self, or are you more
    inclined towards a pro job.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, so dont despair yet.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

BaZmO* wrote:

B.
    If anybody has been rude it has been you and egan007 for not reading the posts. He wants to figure out costs and sound solutions and has been very clear from the start. I think he is justified in being annoyed by you two.

I am also very curious about sound proofing solutions and cost. I was thinking about setting up a rehersal studio but don't want to bother neighbouring buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Magpie,

We have soundproofed rooms of importance and were involved with a very famous recording studio in a certain lane many moons ago.

It is possible to get a good level of soundproofing in a domestic situation however you would be losing a lot of valuable space to achieve 100%.

There are ways of measuring the noise levels, that is what I would call the first step because that will dicate the level or thickness of insulation required.

Lets try keeping it friendly RooKad can sort out many construction problems but we stay out of arguments ;)

Kadman: I'm more inclined towards a pro job to be honest

Roofer Pete: I'm prepared to lose space, I suppose the issue is on areas like going up the stairs where there is only maybe an inch if you include the skirting, otherwise you'd have to move the stairs.

This other guy is quoting me €170 per sq/m, which seems quite extravagant.

What are the costs of materials? (I know how much labour costs - €50 p/hr or so, right?)

As for measuring the noise, the problem is its intermittent. There could be nothing for days, then suddenly unce unce unce, or piano playing at 2.30 am.

• Advertisement

http://www.rockwool.co.uk/sw48827.asp?csref_rw_gb_home_logo

That might have some infor for you.

I want to be able to make a sound proof box that can be taken apart and put back together later. THe box obviously needs to be big emough to hold a band.

Good link Morningstar, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭depadz

did you try this crowd? http://www.atil.ie

Checking it out now, thanks depadz

ATIL are a suppliers not an installer, we deal with them a lot in work. However, you could ring either Phillip or Johnny and ask them if they could reccommend an installer.
    They're really nice blokes so they should help you out, might even given you a budget price.

B.

Cheers for the info Bazmo. I think I'm going to go through a friend who's an architect, get him to do the specs and drawings, choose the materials and then tender it out to some general contractors.

This may sound a bit crazy but may also be a cheaper alternative. Carpet!

If you were to make carpet panels (capet on boards) they would effect the sound to an extent. It may be a very stylish look or very 70s depending on your view. The point is you might be able to make up one and see how effective it is before an expensive option. I guess the pile would determine it's effectiveness.

This may sound a bit crazy

I think you answered that one yourself!! ;)

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Magpie,

Rockwool is one of the most effective products where sound proofing is concerned, I know what you mean about the stairs in fact some houses have the stairs backing on to the party wall and the halllway acts like a drum.

ATIL have been around a long time in the insulation industry and Johnny Vaughan has an impressive history dealing with sound proofing issues right back to his days in TID.

If you are talking to him tell him I said Hello and it's his round ;)

As to the price all things taken into consideration there may be room to improve on that rate depending on the amount of insulation and detail involved, personally I would not throw figures at a potential customer on a project like yours because it could be for a spec that is higher than needed.

The professional approach would be to survey the job and check for details like the party wall being dry lined and the general construction of the property, detailed information obtained from a detailed survey is what you need to ensure value for money.

Should the contractor arrive with a one size fits all specification I would not be impressed that is why I find it hard to understand how a figure could be arrived at from a telephone call.

• Advertisement

Cheers Pete.

I'm going to take the approach of getting an architect mate to check out the house, then do up a spec, then put it out to tender along with some other work that needs doing around the place. Hopefully I'll get value for money then.

Advertisement