Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

start studying....NOW

Options
  • 26-07-2005 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

i´m serious please i beg you.. start studying now or you will seriously regret it. i remember when older people told me this before my leaving and i just poo pooed it thinkin they were crazy. i ended up puttin the whole thing off till christmas and by the time the last few feerfull weeks rolled around i suddenly realised that my buddies were right.
    also i feel the best way to study is notes.... real neat and real short=success(probably)

so stop reading this and start studying now now NNNNOOOOWWWWW

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

Thank you for your advice, how much study would you suggest? I mean to do a bit over the summer but I spent so long a language class I did little, still I am sure it would help to do some now. On what you mentioned, do you find that if you do a reasonable ammount now you no have to do hundreds of hours a night before exam? or what? thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Dear lord it's the summer for god sake! It should be illegal for anyone to study during the summer.

No one I knew started studying properly until after the mocks in February/March. As long as you work at a solid pace during 6th year, do your homework, pay attention during class and get down into the books the couple of months before you will be grand.

I didn't start studying for my leaving until 2 weeks before the thing started and I got my 1st choice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Scaremongerer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Scaremongerer

two weeks before the exams is all you need....trust me....i think i got about 570 and that's all i did. The lc s easier than people make out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

na, i'll start come september. I will just keep up and then some. whatever you do, do not fall behind. It's the WORST.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

You can cover most subjects (bar irish and french) in about a day or two if you try. If u got something like less stress.. for maths you could cover each paper in a day or two no prob ( i did it :D ) all that stuff about three hours a day for two years is complete bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

hey fine well take the short approach if you relly think it´ll work but for me and i´d assume the majority of people doin the leavin it takes months and plenty of practice of past papers to do in anyway well. it doesnt take a day or two to learn any subject thats just untrue or you are true geniouses.

i was never a believer in the hours system of study, i divided my subjects in to units/chapters found out days of study left and obtained days per unit. i wrote really condensed notes on the 4 main subjects and they really helped come revising time.

i aimed to have all notes finished before the 3 weeks off at they end they gave us to study.

i´m not sayin i achieved this or even that i studied enough,thats because i didnt start early enough, and thats what im sayin the earlier the better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

it may sound like bull**** but I studied only the night before every exam and got 400+ points, I mean come on, it doesn't get easier than that. Only idiots would study now, in the ****in summer, even if ur course is a million points, it isn't necessary to start studying until at the earliest, mid september, but if ur not goin for crazy high points, a month before the exams will get you VERY good points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

Those Stess Stress, I see them in the shops, I thought they were for the GCSE and A level? No? Are they better or worse then the rapid revision ones ones? I always thought they a waste of money, should it not all be in set text or are they really good?

I would love to only study month before exams! That would be so nice! Somehow I don't see it working for me. To many nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

if you didn't start studying the week after the junior, im afraid you haven't a chance.

• Advertisement

Only idiots would study now, in the ****in summer,

look i´m sure that not everyone could do what you did then,maybe you have a talent for learning. but callin studying in the summer is quite idiotic. for the leaving cert,which will decide whether u get what you want in college, studyin as early as possible could only be a good thing.
    spreading the philosophy of last minute study is retarded and i´d say most people regret doing it when the results come out.

and who cares whether its the summer or not, terrible weather anyway even an hour a day to keep stuff fresh in your brain.

most people i know would rather be well prepared and know their subjects thouroughly rather than one nights study...maybe i just keep bad company???

you'll understand when you are handed your exam paper in june, after your (what would nearly be) full year of hours of study a day, that the leaving cert is a joke. I mean, I'm sorry if I offended anyone who just wants to be prepared, really, but it was just such a shock when I read the post. It's just unnecessary, you should be havin fun until at least september.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

OP you are being silly. Its people like you who get people so worked up and scared.

There is no need to study now. Get working hard when you get back into 6th year in September and you`ll be fine. Enjoy life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

the lc is not the be all and end all that people make it out to be.
    Studying during the summer is counter productive imo.
    You should be relaxing and enjoying yourself before the year of work ahead.

Obviously the OP's method worked for him(ed?) but i believe you could be just as well prepared without spending a full year studying.

i always typed up my own notes - short and concise and it worked well.
    It condensed everythingdown rather than reading 20pages of a chapter of which only 10 or 12 were relevant.
    also getting practise at note writing, either in class or at home will be good practice for when/if you go to college.

enjoy the summer and don't even think about school or studying(even if you're one of these medicine people that give up a year of their life for the lc)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

a couple of points
    1) I think summer is too early to "study", you will not retain enough
    However if you have fallen behind in your general work in 5th year than you could use the summer to catch up to where you should be.
    2) If you are only studying for the exam you are going to be a bit screwed when you get to college and have to use some of this stuff.
    3) I would rather be 100 points over prepared than 1 point under prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ha.....you must be joking, at summer time??

I started study for my leaving, lets see... 3 weeks before the exams? And if you think I'm exaggerating, I'm not - everyone told me I might as well not sit it, and just repeat. Teachers didn't want me to do any honors.

Well, I did fine. 385 Points. Its not spectacular, and I myself found it crap considering what I could have acheived. But, its not bad for three weeks work. And here you are, talking about studying the summer beforehand...pfft

i´m serious please i beg you.. start studying now or you will seriously regret it. i remember when older people told me this before my leaving and i just poo pooed it thinkin they were crazy. i ended up puttin the whole thing off till christmas and by the time the last few feerfull weeks rolled around i suddenly realised that my buddies were right.
    also i feel the best way to study is notes.... real neat and real short=success(probably)

so stop reading this and start studying now now NNNNOOOOWWWWW

Study now and you'll burn yourself out. During 6th year, make sure to do as much homework as you can. You may say that you don't think that that's study, but it helps so much if you really try at it. You will give out at not having time to study, given the amount of work you have. But listen, you'll be working hard until march or so with the amount of work your teachers will pile on you, then your mocks hit. Once they hit, you may be surprised at how you do (good or bad), but don't fret. The next few months you'll be studying, and studying, and studying. Then you'll be grand. You'll have put in the ground work by doing your homework...yeah the homework you do in 6th year only covers 6th year material, but it will be so much easier to review the stuff you did that year if you do it well during the year.

That's my rant anyways.

I started study for my leaving, lets see... 3 weeks before the exams?

385 Points. Its not spectacular, and I myself found it crap considering what I could have acheived.

And here you are, talking about studying the summer beforehand...pfft

my point is that with more prep early on you can get what you think you can achieve. for me who needed in the region of 520 i needed to do alot of study. i did not start studying in the summer i started late, but i really regret it. i´m also not implying that people should be hittin the study hammer and tong either, people at the end of the term were talkin about studyin for 6 hours+ which is not only totl crap but an ineffective method of learning.
    if you wanna know a subject well you dont want it to be crammed in-short term memory, but something you understand better.

start sooner=ability to study and remember in managable portions.

alright so because it has offended people let me revise the statement.

1.if you do not need high points and are totally confident that in 2-3 weeks of study you will be able to answer any topic on all of your syllabus then....dont study

2.if you are aiming for a course that requires you to do very well eg cupla a1´s etc and you think that you have thousands of pages to read comprehend and remember then study now or soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Holligans guide to a good LC:
    Basically in Sept jus keep up with what your doin in class, make sure you understand it all and ask questions if ya dont.

In November start lookin over what ya did in sept, this will really stick in your mind.

After Christmas start with a study plan and all that craic. Even jus go with 2 hours study a night.

Maybe up it a little after easter. Not essential but at this stage your aimin for those extra points and everything you do here will count

Cram like **** in the week or two before it.

Seriously, print this off, it'll do ya good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

It's the summer!!!! Don't bother unless you're going for feckin medicine. If you work consistently from September you'll have little stress. And you'll be amazed how much you can cram before exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

all the studyin i did was in the month before the exam.. i kept up in class so it was fine

just cram at the end and remember that its not that bad. i only studied higher business for the first time ever the nght before the exam and i'm lookin for a B1

trick is to do ur homework and make sure u understand the topic when ya do it in class

anyone changed their view on the matter after their leaving cert results?

no, they reinforced my thoughts beforehand that if u study full throttle after christmas you will get 550 + points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

ok god i wud never study during the summer...i plan on doing a bit every nite...just a small bit mind u! but a small bit is better than nothing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭GUBU

I'd never consider studying in the summer, especially after getting my results - got 590, and all I did was keep up with the homework and make notes in 5th and 6th year, before doing a huge amount of cramming in the 2 weeks before the LC and during it. I'm not exaggerating, it's really not as difficult or stressful as people say to achieve high marks. Don't worry about studying until you really need to, and keep up the things you do outside schoolwork like music, sport etc. 6th year is the best year in terms of really getting to know your teachers and classmates, and I bet you'll remember events like your graduation far better than the exams.

Advertisement