Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU modification

Options
  • 26-07-2005 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

has anyone here tried to modify a PSU themselves?
    the one that in my pc at home is really noisy but cant afford to buy a fancy new one.
    saw some stuff about i tlike this on the net, http://mikhailtech.com/articles/mods/psu/
    so, anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff?

also, before people say i am aware of the danger of electricity and the like

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Well i dont no much about electronics ect................ but i changed the fan in my psu easily. Its really a case of opening it, unscrewwing the fan, cut the wire, put new fan in and join the wires up. I put a silent fan in mine and it works nicely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wavin

Well i dont no much about electronics ect................ but i changed the fan in my psu easily. Its really a case of opening it, unscrewwing the fan, cut the wire, put new fan in and join the wires up. I put a silent fan in mine and it works nicely :)
    sound, the one in my psu sounds like a hoover of some sort.
    what sort of fan did you put in? was price for one of those fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Just go down to peats or one of the other pc shops. Wont pay more that about 10bucks for a half decent 1. Usually has to be an 80mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I've got a 120mm "ultra silent" fan in mine. It's still far too noisy though so I wouldn't expect too much from it. I'm considering the fanless option now, anybody have any experience with a fanless PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Mod the casing, remove any stamped metal grilles with snips, it'll reduce blockages to the intake/exhaust and thereby reduce noice caused by turbulance.

As for modding the PSU, some of the have adjustable POTS.

Grab you screwdriver, multimeter, calculator, pencil and the back of an envelope.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

www.pc-look.com have some gear for that. Clear cases and the like. Might be worth a look

Nukem

Advertisement