Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on a 2L

Options
  • 26-07-2005 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hey everyone just wondering if you could help me out here ive been given 2l car thats all ill say on that front for the moment;) now at the moment i am insured as a named driver on my mums policy with a full License(1.2 polo). Ive been 2 years on it with a prov lic and 5 months on it as a full License(I am 20). However, now i would like to know what is the best way to get insurance on the 2.0 car i find it unlikey an insurance company will give me a policy under my own name.. can anybody advise on the options i have as to insuring the car? ie going on it as a named driver etc its just my mum is afraid of doing anything that might cause an insurance problem and so am i! anybody any help?

Cheers!

ps im not intrested in changing the car etc this is the car i want to drive! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I have a 2 litre turbo, but I have it in my fathers name to save money and hassle. My insurance is indirectly with Allianz. Cost €1900 this year. I would advise putting the car under your mum or your fathers name depending on who has the longest no claims bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Ring insurance companies and see about getting a quote, though I reckon you're over the 120hp limit some companies put on under 25's. Failing that use the Polo until it comes to renewal time and you might be able to get a quote than with the years full license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

praetorian: thats cool just out of intrest though does your dad have his own car then aswell? and with allianz? because ive herd you can't have a no claims bonus on two cars? im just terrifed or well my mum is terrifed if we insure the car in her name and im the primary driver that there would be a problem if i needed claim..

cheers again for the info! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Be aware that when you are a named driver on someone elses policy you are gaining no no claim bonuses. When you do decide to get a policy of your own you are going to be hit with a bill insurance bill.

Sell the 2L get a 1.9tdi (90bhp) insure it under your own name and then chip it, add a better induction system and you will have popped that baby up to 130bhp if your good, depending on what psi the turbo is kicking out.

Before anyone says anything, "If you do not notified the insurance company of these modifications it could leave your policy void in the event of a claim by you".

Listen the reality is we live in a **** country with low spec overpriced tin wagons which have to cope with roads more suited to 4x4's, in which the only variable stopping you from having that car you want is the insurance man. Get yourself a micra get as much NCB's as you can and wait till you are old enough for a 2L.

Am 21 btw.

Thanks kluivert but u don't understand what this car means to me! i dont care about ncb etc etc all i want is this car and to be insured on it..somehow...and to convince the mammy that it is ok to do it... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Do you have a holiday home outside of Dublin by anychance?

You'd be surprised, living in the sticks can work wonders for your insurance quotes.

At Praetorian :D

I'm just being nosey here, but would you mind me asking you how old you are? :p

I have a feelin you're a scooby doo driver?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

AlienGav wrote:
    Do you have a holiday home outside of Dublin by anychance?

You'd be surprised, living in the sticks can work wonders for your insurance quotes.
    But again, if you have a major enough incident and the insurance comapny find out that the area of primary useage aint what is specified on the insurance cert, then you're screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

There's a company in Donegal insuring younger drivers with driving experience (they ask for proof of being on a named policy) for a reasonable amount. I cant remember the name. If i get it off my other half in the morning, I'll post it up. A friend of his has his insurance with this crowd and its 1900 under his own name on a 2L turbo - with modification declared and listed.

Oh and you can have two cars insured under one name. If yo've got a no-claims built up, it will only apply to one of the cars insured. On the other, it will be like any starter policy - no no-claims discount, unless it has been insured already separately under the same name. You cant use your no-claims on two cars. Its all on one, and none on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

kluivert wrote:
    Be aware that when you are a named driver on someone elses policy you are gaining no no claim bonuses. When you do decide to get a policy of your own you are going to be hit with a bill insurance bill.
    Not true. Both AXA and FBD (and possibly other companies) give significant discounts for named driver experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

fletch wrote:
    But again, if you have a major enough incident and the insurance comapny find out that the area of primary useage aint what is specified on the insurance cert, then you're screwed

And similarly if your are a named driver and the insurance co. finds out you are the main user...........screwed again

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

kluivert wrote:

Sell the 2L get a 1.9tdi (90bhp) insure it under your own name and then chip it, add a better induction system and you will have popped that baby up to 130bhp if your good, depending on what psi the turbo is kicking out.

Before anyone says anything, "If you do not notified the insurance company of these modifications it could leave your policy void in the event of a claim by you".

Listen the reality is we live in a **** country with low spec overpriced tin wagons which have to cope with roads more suited to 4x4's, in which the only variable stopping you from having that car you want is the insurance man. Get yourself a micra get as much NCB's as you can and wait till you are old enough for a 2L.

Am 21 btw.

Hear hear!

Just to add a point to your statment... While driving as a named driver doesnt build your no claims bonus, Insurance companies are now offering "Named driving experience"

When I took out my policy with Quinn-Direct, they offered me a "1 Years introductory no claims bonus" when I was able to prove that I was a named driver on a private policy for a year... Its all good, baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

And similarly if your are a named driver and the insurance co. finds out you are the main user...........screwed again
    Agreed, I just don't know why people bother getting insurance if they are going to lie to the insurance company, they are only wasting their own money

cheers everyone the info is proving very helpful! :) just wondering if anyone has the name of that insurance company in Donegal thats supposed to insure people with large motors?

cheers again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

How is the insurance company going to prove that he's the main driver? You would still be covered in the event of a crash, since you have paid the insurance company to insure you to drive that particular car. Loads of young drivers do this.

I'd say quinn direct will insure you in your own name, they treat named driving experience almost as good as a no claims bonus.

edit: only problem is if you crash and it's your fault, it's gonna effect your mother's insurance because the policy is in her name, even though it's you that crashed not her. Same goes for if you get a driving ban/conviction or shít like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

What kinda car is it :D

jozi wrote:
    What kinda car is it :D

Taht's what I was thinking but didn't want to ask in case I missed it in one of the posts

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

"Insurance on a 2.0 liter car" means nothing without knowing what car it is

If it is a sedate family saloon, your quote might be reasonable enough although you're only 20. Obviously a sporty car would be very expensive, so forget about it if it's a Subarishi Evo Mitec WRX version XXXXIIIIIVVVV ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've heard this loads of time but never seen any evidence that it is true - the policy states that liability is covered for the insured and any named drivers. It places no restriction on where and how often the named drivers can use the car.

You are legally insured, and you are covered in the event of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

the policy also states that you are only a named driver, not the main driver.

If you are in reality the main driver then......

there is also the clause in the policy, which is the basic founding concept of insurance law, if you lie to us we don't have to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Most insurance policies require the main driver to be the owner and keeper of the car. If this turns out not to be the case, the insurance company can void the policy. They will most likely cover any 3rd party claim but can then seek to recover their costs from the policy holder in a civil action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

alias no.9 wrote:
    Most insurance policies require the main driver to be the owner and keeper of the car.

"Owner and Keeper" of the car does not equal with "Driver", usual or otherwise, of the car. A small point but maybe worthy in light of some of the hair-splitting above.

To the OP, consider 'giving' your 2L to your Mum (we understand one another ;) ) and obtain appropriate paperwork, get your Mum as main driver on policy and you as named.

thanks everyone you've been great! you've given me a firm direction to head in...and for those of you who wanted to know its an alfa gtv... :D

thanks everyone you've been great! you've given me a firm direction to head in...and for those of you who wanted to know its an alfa gtv... :D

*Me shakes fist in your general direction*

Good luck in gettin insured in that without 'giving' it to your mam.

thanks! :) tell me about it..hate this country...revenge soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

The insurance brokers in Donegal that were referred to earlier on are http://www.brittoninsurance.com/ . They have a reputation for being competitive, but I have never actually used them myself.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know would it make much difference (for insurance) getting a 1.9tdi Golf or a JTD 1.9 Alfa 147 vs. a 1.6 petrol of the same models?

Advertisement