Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis Vs Manowar

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hardly. But it can quite often be taken as an indication of how good something already is. ROLLEYES !!

Quite the opposite actually. If popularity, or majority rules were any indication of talent, then surely U2 would be a better band that the Mahavishnu Orchestra, or 2 Fast 2 Furious better than Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal... If that be the case then I guess George W. Bush must be a really great leader, I mean, he is popular! Lets all eat at McDonalds because everyone else does, and that's an indication of how good something is! Friends is the best TV Show that ever was, and Oasis are the best band! How can you deny their popularity!?

'Scuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

they were huge in the 90s and still are

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

county wrote:
    they were huge in the 90s and still are
    and the sad thing is they are probably bigger now than they were when their "best" work was released.

city scum :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭madfistbt

Lets all eat at McDonalds because everyone else does, and that's an indication of how good something is! .

I eat at supermacs and what rudeboy , get me ...(In a south east London black youths accent)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Quite the opposite actually. If popularity, or majority rules were any indication of talent, then surely U2 would be a better band that the Mahavishnu Orchestra, or 2 Fast 2 Furious better than Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal... If that be the case then I guess George W. Bush must be a really great leader, I mean, he is popular! Lets all eat at McDonalds because everyone else does, and that's an indication of how good something is! Friends is the best TV Show that ever was, and Oasis are the best band! How can you deny their popularity!?

'Scuse me.

Ha, there really was no need for you to go on that 'anti-conformist' rant. Do you think I do not know that popular does not = good ?
    I said: quite often it is a good indication.

You'll notice that I didn't say: "It is always unrefutable proof that something is good if many people like it."
    Please don't twist my words. Ever. Again.

**** I like U2 , why do all the rockers hate U2 , I guarantee If all these bands were on about were not popular and some undergound band you lot who claim you dont like them, whod be raving about them and telling all yer mates and getting u2 tatoos. Its just cos you want to be different and you know thats the truth and it hurts you. Go be different and eat yer pedigree smackos

sorry but bono is a nonce,thinks he is god,going on about 3rd world debt,put your hand in your own pocket instead of ours!

county wrote:
    sorry but bono is a nonce,thinks he is god,going on about 3rd world debt,put your hand in your own pocket instead of ours!

Ill definately agree with you there , but I think its overhyped Ive seen him interviewed on rte2 and hes actually quite down to earth. I fuking hate bob geldof though, didnt say I liked bono . I like some of there music Sunday bloody sunday is one of my favourite songs, actually hate some of there stuff too dicotech was disgusting. But they have so many classics Ill put up with bono thinking hes Jesus. ..................................................................Im writing ****

Ha, there really was no need for you to go on that 'anti-conformist' rant. Do you think I do not know that popular does not = good ?
    I said: quite often it is a good indication.

You'll notice that I didn't say: "It is always unrefutable proof that something is good if many people like it."
    Please don't twist my words. Ever. Again.

Anti-conformist rant? The entire point of my post just flew right past you, as it seems. As for twisting words, kindly take note that I had not claimed that you said that popularity is 'unrefutable' proof that something is good.

Now, as we're both aware of exactly what you said, would you mind returning the favour and realize that what I've said, in giving a wide range examples, not limited to music, is to show that popularity almost never indicates that something is good.

It's also good to note that you don't have to say that popularity is a 100% indication in order for me to disagree with you. Even if you say it's "Quite often" or "Half the time" or even "The odd time" I can still disagree and say "Never."
    madfistbt wrote:
    **** I like U2 , why do all the rockers hate U2 , I guarantee If all these bands were on about were not popular and some undergound band you lot who claim you dont like them, whod be raving about them and telling all yer mates and getting u2 tatoos. Its just cos you want to be different and you know thats the truth and it hurts you. Go be different and eat yer pedigree smackos

You fail to realise that it's nothing to do with being different at all, it's to do with the fact that U2 write the most dull, predictable, simplistic, repetetive garbage that has ever been mistaken for music. If I heard a so-called underground band playing the same two notes beefed up through a delay pedal for their entire career, I'd think they're just as talentless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

all the rockers hate u2 because u2 are about as rock as elton john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

hmmmm autistic children are the only ones that can be called rockers - most of the time, people just call me by my real name. only the dumb and ignorant consistantly call me "rocker", "hippy" or the best one of all "hairbag"

Can you feel the love :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Still, I'll take Oasis' down-to-earth lyrics over Manowar's any day. Most people do.

Wait a minute... down-to-earth lyrics? Don't you mean cocaine-induced rambling desperatley searching for a rhyme?

Let's have a look through the keyhole...

"I'd like to be somebody else and not know where I've been
    I'd like to build myself a house out of plasticine
    Shake along with me
    I've been driving in my car with my friend Mr. Soft
    Mr. Clean and Mr.Ben are living in my loft"

"I know a girl called Elsa
    She's into Alka Seltzer
    She sniffs it through a cane on a supersonic train"

"To spend your days in the soooooonsheeeeeeeyine
    You might as well do the white line"

"And time as it stands
    Won't be held in my hands
    Or living inside of my skin
    And as it fell from the sky"

"Cos I've been standing at the station
    In need of education in the rain
    You made no preparation for my reputation once again
    The sink is full of fishes
    She's got dirty dishes on the brain"

"Cos people believe that they're
    Gonna get away for the summer
    But you and I, we live and die
    The world's still spinning round
    We don't know why
    Why, why, why, why"

"Everybody knows
    And no one's saying nothing
    Is the sound so very loud
    That no one can hear?
    I got something in my shoes
    That's keeping me from walking"

And these are from back when they had something to say ;)
    but for a band to really be great, their lyrics should mean something. "Who cares what they sing about" you ask? I do. I know lots of other people who do. Anyone who takes a "who cares" approach to the music they listen to is an idiot.

Mad For It!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

lads, lads cmon...i think we can all agree that both bands are sh!te.
    Manowar are a bad joke thats run too long, (the joke would probably involve a bunch of oily men in loincloths poking each other with swords) and oasis look like a bunch of clowns without makeup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

absolutely not - oasis are merely rehasing the beatles, while Manowar are defining how we should truly live (nowt wrong with loincloths and buxom women and ale)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

After just coming back from germany after seeing manowar and rhapsody I can tell you that Manowar are far mightier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

After just coming back from germany after seeing manowar and rhapsody I can tell you that Manowar are far mightier

Hail to you, brother! Hail! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lemme see... Oasis lasted how long, and compare that to Manowar...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

well at least oasis never took photos of themselves trying to look grim and frostbitten in a forest...

on the other hand oasis probably spent a lot of time looking grim and frostbitten outside betting offices and chippers in their younger days...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,719 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i just dont like oasis. dont think they're particularly good artists and dont seem to really have too much idea what they're actually talking about. also have far too much "attitude" for my liking. that main lad (never remember which is which, ones liam and ones noel i know that much) just comes across as an asshole. the other lad seems fairly down to earth alright. i've no problem with other people liking them, just dont see the point myself and its sad to see that such a moody ignorant person can be so famous, loved and revered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I've hated the Gallaghers ever since one of them said they loved Lennon because he 'didn't give a ****. about anything' and the other compared him to Bernard Manning. Which goes to show you should never take what they say seriously. Just enjoy the music.

Oh, and anyone who dislikes Bono for his efforts to help the third world needs to pull their head out of their arse. I don't believe he's doing it the right way but he has helped a hell of a lot more than most people, me included.

well at least oasis never took photos of themselves trying to look grim and frostbitten in a forest...

You say that like it's something to be ashamed of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

...!

Can... Can I touch you?

[/awed jealousy]

Doctor J wrote:
    Wait a minute... down-to-earth lyrics? Don't you mean cocaine-induced rambling desperatley searching for a rhyme?

No. I don't mean that at all. And, yes, they are down to earth. At least you know they are talking about their own damn lives, ffs.
    Doctor J wrote:
    Let's have a look through the keyhole...

"I'd like to be somebody else and not know where I've been
    I'd like to build myself a house out of plasticine
    Shake along with me
    I've been driving in my car with my friend Mr. Soft
    Mr. Clean and Mr.Ben are living in my loft"

"I know a girl called Elsa
    She's into Alka Seltzer
    She sniffs it through a cane on a supersonic train"

"To spend your days in the soooooonsheeeeeeeyine
    You might as well do the white line"

"And time as it stands
    Won't be held in my hands
    Or living inside of my skin
    And as it fell from the sky"

"Cos I've been standing at the station
    In need of education in the rain
    You made no preparation for my reputation once again
    The sink is full of fishes
    She's got dirty dishes on the brain"

"Cos people believe that they're
    Gonna get away for the summer
    But you and I, we live and die
    The world's still spinning round
    We don't know why
    Why, why, why, why"

"Everybody knows
    And no one's saying nothing
    Is the sound so very loud
    That no one can hear?
    I got something in my shoes
    That's keeping me from walking"

And these are from back when they had something to say ;)

Well, Doctor, I hate to tell you, but you haven't proven your point by posting those lyrics. As you can see, most of them are pretty down to earth! They are very personal, and they are quite relevant to our time, and to our society etc etc.
    If anything, you've proven my point by posting those lyrics. Thanks, 'cause I was too lazy to do it, lol.

Doctor J wrote:
    Mad For It!!! :p

O.....kay then.... :confused:

Anyway, I think most rational people will agree with me when I say that Manowar are a bit of a joke. You can't really take them seriously, and IMO, anyone who does is a bit sad.

they are quite relevant to our time, and to our society etc etc.

Yeah, how DARE DoctorJ imply that a girl called Elza who's into Alka Seltzer isn't relevant to our society!!

Yeah, how DARE DoctorJ imply that a girl called Elza who's into Alka Seltzer isn't relevant to our society!!

What, you've never come across / heard of a girl who was into substance abuse?! Geez, you must be living a pretty sheltered life.
    As "out there" as you may like to portray Oasis' lyrics, we all know that Manowar's lyrics are worse in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Alka Seltzer. Substance abuse.

No.

What, you've never come across / heard of a girl who was into substance abuse?! Geez, you must be living a pretty sheltered life. As "out there" as you may like to portray Oasis' lyrics, we all know that Manowar's lyrics are worse in that respect.

Haha, wow! How clever... It's funny though, weren't you the one taking the moral high ground on that high horse of yours about twisting words before? Because I would've thought someone who was oppossed to having words twisted, wouldn't actually go and do it themselves.

Well word up lads! If Manowar stopped singing about Honour, Courage and Freedom, and instead started singing about drugs, then they'd be "Relevant to our time, and our society!"
    To hear the sound of freedom many gave their lives
    They fought for you and me
    Those memories will always live in silence
    And now it's our time to be free

People giving their lives for freedom? Why that's just barmy! That's "out there!" Hell, that's ****ing la-la-land right there! As if that'd every happen? :rolleyes:

Oh FYI, I'm not a fan of Manowar at all, I don't have any of their albums, and right now I'm here listening to some Pat Methany and I'm all the happier for it, but given the choice between them and Oasis, I'd take Manowar over Noel Gallagher's 2 flimsy chords every time.

Alka Seltzer. Substance abuse.

No.

Well, Karl convenientally forgot to include the next 2 lines, which are as follows:

"She sniffs it through a cane
    On a super-sonic train...."

Now, I think that would constitute substance abuse, don't you?
    Idiot.

Haha, wow! How clever... It's funny though, weren't you the one taking the moral high ground on that high horse of yours about twisting words before? Because I would've thought someone who was oppossed to having words twisted, wouldn't actually go and do it themselves.

And you'd be right. I didn't twist your words. I didn't twist anyone's words! lol. Moving on...

(Btw all that sarcasm is pretty unnecessary, and it just makes you look a bit of a twat, IMO, if that's worth anything to you.)
    Well word up lads! If Manowar stopped singing about Honour, Courage and Freedom, and instead started singing about drugs, then they'd be "Relevant to our time, and our society!"

Yeah, you know, they probably would. I mean, hell, drugs are far more abundant in our society than 'honour'.

Btw, it'd be worth your noting, that I never said Oasis were the most down to earth band, lyrically. Nor did I say that Manowar were the most "out there" lyrically. I simply said that Oasis' lyrics were more 'grounded' than Manowar's. Think of it as the 'lesser of two evils', if you like.

Quote:
    To hear the sound of freedom many gave their lives
    They fought for you and me
    Those memories will always live in silence
    And now it's our time to be free

People giving their lives for freedom? Why that's just barmy! That's "out there!" Hell, that's ****ing la-la-land right there! As if that'd every happen?

Again, the sarcasm is pretty un-necessary; remember what I said about looking a twat?
    You've made your point, which is, that Manowar do have at least one verse in at least one song, which is relatively 'down to earth', as it were.
    And, I'd like to refer you again to what I've said above, about "lesser of 2 evils", etc.

Oh FYI, I'm not a fan of Manowar at all, I don't have any of their albums, and right now I'm here listening to some Pat Methany and I'm all the happier for it, but given the choice between them and Oasis, I'd take Manowar over Noel Gallagher's 2 flimsy chords every time.

Wow, I bet you think you're pretty damn cultured; sitting there, listening to Jazz. Oh, and FYI, it's spelled: Metheny, lol. And, as much as I like Metheny, I'd still take Oasis' music over his, anyday.

Noel's "2 flimsy chords" ? Lol, such gross exaggeration only makes it look less like you know what you're talking about. Just 'for the record', I'd like to state that Noel uses far, far more than just 2 chords.
    Htf can a chord be "flimsy" anyway?! lol

• Advertisement

And you'd be right. I didn't twist your words. I didn't twist anyone's words! lol. Moving on...

(Btw all that sarcasm is pretty unnecessary, and it just makes you look a bit of a twat, IMO, if that's worth anything to you.)

Well then excuse me if I'd consider taking what someone said and deriving your own meaning for it 'twisting'.

(Btw, taking the moral high ground again, just after you've made sarcastic comments about me living a sheltered life makes you look like a bit of a twat)
    Yeah, you know, they probably would. I mean, hell, drugs are far more abundant in our society than 'honour'.

Btw, it'd be worth your noting, that I never said Oasis were the most down to earth band, lyrically. Nor did I say that Manowar were the most "out there" lyrically. I simply said that Oasis' lyrics were more 'grounded' than Manowar's. Think of it as the 'lesser of two evils', if you like.

Oh, I get you.
    So, seeing as Mobile Phones are more abundant in our society than drugs, then Richie Kavanagh is far more relevant to our times and our society than Oasis, because he had a song about a mobile phone.

Again, you seem to fall back on what's popular and commonplace to prove your point. Abundance does not equal relevance, and I could nearly say that in today's overly two-faced society that some Honour is sorely needed. Likewise, abundance does not equal how meaningfull a lyric is.

Btw, it'd be worth your noting, that I never said you said those things.
    Again, the sarcasm is pretty un-necessary; remember what I said about looking a twat?
    You've made your point, which is, that Manowar do have at least one verse in at least one song, which is relatively 'down to earth', as it were.
    And, I'd like to refer you again to what I've said above, about "lesser of 2 evils", etc.

Again, the high horse, the moral high ground, the irony of doing one thing yourself, then calling me on it. But golly jeepers! I best not use no sarcasm no more, lest you think me looking a twat! Because I really care how I look in your eyes. Really.
    Wow, I bet you think you're pretty damn cultured; sitting there, listening to Jazz. Oh, and FYI, it's spelled: Metheny, lol. And, as much as I like Metheny, I'd still take Oasis' music over his, anyday.

Noel's "2 flimsy chords" ? Lol, such gross exaggeration only makes it look less like you know what you're talking about. Just 'for the record', I'd like to state that Noel uses far, far more than just 2 chords.
    Htf can a chord be "flimsy" anyway?! lol

OMG! Pointing out a spelling mistake! The pinacle of intellectual debate, how can I argue with that? Let alone the fact that you've pointed out my exaggeration! Oh woe is me... You WIN the arguement. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement