Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis Vs Manowar

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

.....remember what I said about looking a twat?......Oh, and FYI, it's spelled: Metheny, lol. And, as much as I like Metheny, I'd still take Oasis' music over his, anyday.

and how non-twat like you appear to be, in pointing out someone's spelling error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

No. I don't mean that at all. And, yes, they are down to earth. At least you know they are talking about their own damn lives, ffs.

Well, Doctor, I hate to tell you, but you haven't proven your point by posting those lyrics. As you can see, most of them are pretty down to earth! They are very personal, and they are quite relevant to our time, and to our society etc etc.
    If anything, you've proven my point by posting those lyrics. Thanks, 'cause I was too lazy to do it, lol.

O.....kay then.... :confused:

Anyway, I think most rational people will agree with me when I say that Manowar are a bit of a joke. You can't really take them seriously, and IMO, anyone who does is a bit sad.

scouser.jpg

Ahhh Tommy, you see those lyrics as down to Earth? I want two tickets to whatever ride you're living on ;)

Seriously though, it's very easy to knock Oasis lyrics, Noel himself said a lot of them were crap - it's very easy to knock any bands lyrics TBH, but if you find meaning in that coca-babble then that's fine, good for you. Personally I think Gallagher's lyrics are some of the most insipid nonsense where the emphasis is in finding a rhyme rather than making something coherant. Yes all these stupid metaphors can be translated in many different ways but a lot of it is bull****. I don't think people who listen to Oasis are sad though, why should I? People get different things out of music and everbody is different. I find your readiness to dismiss the things you won't open your mind to is reallywhat is sad tbh, as in there is a lot of great music out there and you've got this fixation on things that are "real" to your world are the only things that are relevant. I find that staggering. What is your take on instrumental music? You may knock Manowar but their lives are all about playing Heavy Metal, that's what they do and when they sing about it, that's what's real to their lives, that's all they've done for over 20 years. I could go through Manowar's lyrics and point out that there is a lot of reality in there. What about the lyrics where they describe how they met (they were both working backstage at a Black Sabbath concert in England and decided to form a band) - that's not my reality but **** yeah to them. What about where they describe the grim times awaiting Vietnam veterans upon their return to the USA in the late 70's? Can't say I was there but that sounds pretty real to me. Different people have different realities, if you find solace with some Manchester council estate existence, fine, but don't knock something you don't fully understand because it's you who comes across as the twat. I just find it really hard to understand your total reliance on lyrics that deal with the mundane. So you don't read books and you don't watch movies either, I trust, given that a lot of it is fiction and doesn't deal with the real world? Salvador Dali was a ****, eh? :confused:

Meh, good luck to you, I want to hear everything, I want to to experience all that music has to offer, be it escapism or brutal truth (and the Beatles dealt in both, are you going to call people who listen to the Beatles sad too?), it's all art and it's beautiful. Get in there and experience something different. Music is personally my favourite artform, there's a lot of it I don't like and some of it I don't get, but I'd never call an Einsturzende Neubaten listener sad just because their music doesn't mean anything to me. I'd never call someone into dance music a twat because they got something out of a repetative bass drum. If you don't get it, fine, you don't have to but if you genuinely find someone's taste sad, then dude I feel sorry for you, you've got problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

here endeth the lesson.

as true as it is today as it was....when it was written

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

So what you're saying is, if I sniffed a dog through a cane on a supersonic train, it counts as substance abuse. Righto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Doctor J wrote:
    scouser.jpg

Ahhh Tommy, you see those lyrics as down to Earth? I want two tickets to whatever ride you're living on ;)

Seriously though, it's very easy to knock Oasis lyrics, Noel himself said a lot of them were crap - it's very easy to knock any bands lyrics TBH, but if you find meaning in that coca-babble then that's fine, good for you. Personally I think Gallagher's lyrics are some of the most insipid nonsense where the emphasis is in finding a rhyme rather than making something coherant. Yes all these stupid metaphors can be translated in many different ways but a lot of it is bull****. I don't think people who listen to Oasis are sad though, why should I? People get different things out of music and everbody is different. I find your readiness to dismiss the things you won't open your mind to is reallywhat is sad tbh, as in there is a lot of great music out there and you've got this fixation on things that are "real" to your world are the only things that are relevant. I find that staggering. What is your take on instrumental music? You may knock Manowar but their lives are all about playing Heavy Metal, that's what they do and when they sing about it, that's what's real to their lives, that's all they've done for over 20 years. I could go through Manowar's lyrics and point out that there is a lot of reality in there. What about the lyrics where they describe how they met (they were both working backstage at a Black Sabbath concert in England and decided to form a band) - that's not my reality but **** yeah to them. What about where they describe the grim times awaiting Vietnam veterans upon their return to the USA in the late 70's? Can't say I was there but that sounds pretty real to me. Different people have different realities, if you find solace with some Manchester council estate existence, fine, but don't knock something you don't fully understand because it's you who comes across as the twat. I just find it really hard to understand your total reliance on lyrics that deal with the mundane. So you don't read books and you don't watch movies either, I trust, given that a lot of it is fiction and doesn't deal with the real world? Salvador Dali was a ****, eh? :confused:

Meh, good luck to you, I want to hear everything, I want to to experience all that music has to offer, be it escapism or brutal truth (and the Beatles dealt in both, are you going to call people who listen to the Beatles sad too?), it's all art and it's beautiful. Get in there and experience something different. Music is personally my favourite artform, there's a lot of it I don't like and some of it I don't get, but I'd never call an Einsturzende Neubaten listener sad just because their music doesn't mean anything to me. I'd never call someone into dance music a twat because they got something out of a repetative bass drum. If you don't get it, fine, you don't have to but if you genuinely find someone's taste sad, then dude I feel sorry for you, you've got problems.

There was no need for you to write any of that, do you know that?
    Because, and I want you to listen up now;

I never said people who listen to Manowar are sad.

Got it?
    Now, what I did say was: People who take them too seriously are a bit sad.

For example, I listen to bands like Iron Maiden, who's lyrics could quite reasonably be called ab it "out there" or whatever, right? I can listen to them, yes, but I don't really take the lyrical content of their songs very seriously, and, if I did, I'd think myself a bit sad.
    Do you understand now?

And yeah, I love instrumental music. Like I said above, I wouldn't deprive myself of any kind of music just for having crap/non-existent lyrics.

(Btw, you do know I'm not actually a scouser, right? :p )
    Nice picture though, lol.

Well then excuse me if I'd consider taking what someone said and deriving your own meaning for it 'twisting'.

Oh, I agree with that definition of 'twisting', but, I'm afraid that's not what I did. Not at all. I'm not really sure why you got that idea, lol.
    (Btw, taking the moral high ground again, just after you've made sarcastic comments about me living a sheltered life makes you look like a bit of a twat)

Eh, excuse me? Where was the sarcasm in what I said there?

"What, you've never come across / heard of a girl who was into substance abuse? Geez, you must be living a pretty sheltered life."

That was not sarcastic in the least. I meant every word. You're full of s.hit if you say that was sarcastic.
    Fair enough, you think I'm a twat, but that doesn't stop me letting you know that you're being one now, does it? Just like you're being a twat hasn't stopped you calling me one. Even if your reasons for doing so were completely unsound.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scouser.tommy
    "Yeah, you know, they probably would. I mean, hell, drugs are far more abundant in our society than 'honour'.

Btw, it'd be worth your noting, that I never said Oasis were the most down to earth band, lyrically. Nor did I say that Manowar were the most "out there" lyrically. I simply said that Oasis' lyrics were more 'grounded' than Manowar's. Think of it as the 'lesser of two evils', if you like. "

Oh, I get you.
    So, seeing as Mobile Phones are more abundant in our society than drugs, then Richie Kavanagh is far more relevant to our times and our society than Oasis, because he had a song about a mobile phone.

Em, yeah, you could probably say that. Although, I personally wouldn't rely wholly on 'how abundant the subject matter is' when judging a song's relevance. You have to take a look at how important the subject matter is too, you know.
    Again, you seem to fall back on what's popular and commonplace to prove your point. Abundance does not equal relevance, and I could nearly say that in today's overly two-faced society that some Honour is sorely needed. Likewise, abundance does not equal how meaningfull a lyric is.

Heh, I know all this perfectly well, thank you. Check what I said above^. And, yeah, I'd certainly respect a song written about Honour, we damn well need it today, you're right.
    Btw, it'd be worth your noting, that I never said you said those things.

Don't be so fuc.king blunt, we both know that you were operating under the assumption that that is what I meant. You implied that I said those things. Please don't try to deny that.

Quote:
    "Again, the sarcasm is pretty un-necessary; remember what I said about looking a twat?
    You've made your point, which is, that Manowar do have at least one verse in at least one song, which is relatively 'down to earth', as it were.
    And, I'd like to refer you again to what I've said above, about "lesser of 2 evils", etc. "

Again, the high horse, the moral high ground, the irony of doing one thing yourself, then calling me on it. But golly jeepers! I best not use no sarcasm no more, lest you think me looking a twat! Because I really care how I look in your eyes. Really.

You don't care how you look in my eyes? That's fine. I expected as much. Which is why I took the trouble to include the phrase: "...In my opinion, for what that's worth to you"
    I thought I could spare us both the trouble of you going "Yeah, well, I don't give a toss what you think." But you decided not to be bigger than that, I guess. There I go, foolishly giving people the benefit of the doubt again.

Quote:
    "Wow, I bet you think you're pretty damn cultured; sitting there, listening to Jazz. Oh, and FYI, it's spelled: Metheny, lol. And, as much as I like Metheny, I'd still take Oasis' music over his, anyday.

Noel's "2 flimsy chords" ? Lol, such gross exaggeration only makes it look less like you know what you're talking about. Just 'for the record', I'd like to state that Noel uses far, far more than just 2 chords.
    Htf can a chord be "flimsy" anyway?! lol "

OMG! Pointing out a spelling mistake! The pinacle of intellectual debate, how can I argue with that? Let alone the fact that you've pointed out my exaggeration! Oh woe is me... You WIN the arguement.

Win ?! Do you honestly care who is seen to "win" this argument? I sure as hell don't. And, yes, I know you intended to be sarcastic when you said that, but you've unwittingly revealed something quite telling about your perspective on this argument. You really are taking it too personally, in my opinion.

Yes, I pointed out your spelling Pat Metheny's name incorrectly. I think the guy deserves his f.ucking name to be spelled right, don't you? I wasn't going to bring this up, but, you will notice that I didnt bother pointing out your countless other spelling mistakes, yes? There were a rake of 'em.

And yeah, I pointed out your exaggeration, because it was a pretty damn important one. I was just trying to make the truth clear to everyone else. I hate lies, half-truths, and exaggerations. Don't you?

Intellectual debate? Hah! I have idiots here posting funny pictures of scousers, just to try and insult me or make me look foolish. "Intellectual debate" my hole.

• Advertisement

You said "You can't really take them seriously, and IMO, anyone who does is a bit sad."

Maybe I'm wrong, but from that it would suggest that anyone who listens to Manowar, enjoys them, goes to the gigs (does paying money for a CD or concert ticket count as taking them seriously?) is a bit sad because I'm sure you don't mean 'anyone who takes Manowar's lyrics to heart and goes around with a sword wearing a loinskin'?

Therefore, I'd stand by what I said, given what you had said at the time.

Good to see you like a bit of Maiden, there's hope yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I too just returned from seeing Manowar in Germany in front of 40000.

Best live band of any genre in the world in my opinion.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/0209665k/manowarVSoasis.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Intellectual debate? Hah! I have idiots here posting funny pictures of scousers, just to try and insult me or make me look foolish. "Intellectual debate" my hole.

Well seeing as DoctorJ hasn't insulted you, but you just called him an idiot speaks volumes about where this thread is going.

I'd argue with you, but right now your debating style reeks of ridiculous ambigueities, such as implying things that seem to fit with whatever rant suits you. :rolleyes:

Feel free to pick out the spelling mistakes in that one, though.

I have idiots here posting funny pictures of scousers, just to try and insult me or make me look foolish. "Intellectual debate" my hole.

Idiots? Perhaps the only idiotic thing I did was try to take the heat out of the debate by assuming you had a sense of humour. Lighten up, friend, you'll live longer. :rolleyes:

Doctor J wrote:
    Idiots? Perhaps the only idiotic thing I did was try to take the heat out of the debate by assuming you had a sense of humour. Lighten up, friend, you'll live longer. :rolleyes:

Alright, that's fair enough then, if you posted that in good humour. I take back what I said about being an idiot. I did appreciate your trying to take the heat out of the whole debate.
    Well seeing as DoctorJ hasn't insulted you, but you just called him an idiot speaks volumes about where this thread is going.

I'd argue with you, but right now your debating style reeks of ridiculous ambigueities, such as implying things that seem to fit with whatever rant suits you.

Feel free to pick out the spelling mistakes in that one, though.

Well, seeing as how he actually hasn't insulted me, I've retracted the 'idiot' remark.

I'm afraid you're dead wrong about my 'debating syle'. I haven't been ranting at all! I've only been addressing whatever points you've made to me, lol.

Heh, well, now that you mention it, you spelled "ambiguities" incorrectly, lol. You brought that one on yourself ;)

It seems people are tired of arguing this, and so am I.
    I just want to say that I have no problem in listening to the music of bands like Manowar. I personally listen to loads of bands whose lyrics are a bit 'fantastical', like Judas Priest, Sonata Arctica, Maiden, even Zeppelin. There's nothing wrong with 'em. But when you start saying things like "Manowar are defining how we should live", then it gets a bit ridiculous, and that kind of thing is what I'm criticising. It tends to degrade metal in general, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Maybe they are defining how we should live. Judging by a lot of the arguing on this thread alone, people need to draw a lot more influence from Manowar's somewhat light-hearted style. I can't think of any problems that couldn't do with everyone taking life less seriously.

Psh, what is drug-abuse, and alcoholism, usually, if not people having a lack of respect for their life? If people took life "too seriously", they'd hardly go out getting pissed or using recreational drugs, now, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Stop dwelling on feckin' Oasis lyrics. I don't know why you're getting so hung-up over it. Relax. Just because lyrics aren't your thing doesn't mean they're not extremely important to the band themselves, which is the real issue. Besides, music is about much more than lyrics, Brett Gurewitz manages to convey as much point and emotion in his playing as Greg Graffin evokes in his lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

scouser.tommy , this is the second thread you have whored with your narrow minded opinions. While I appreciate interesting constructive / destructive comments, yours meet neither criteria. It's pitiful drivel like this that keeps me away from 'common' society.
    Manowar lyrics are great for so many reasons, if you don't get it fine, but stop trying to force it at us. In all honesty your points are moot, I mean those Oasis lyrics , holy jebus, if you find relevance or some kind of depth in singing about cocaine, possibly the most uninteresting drug ever created. I'd have more fun singing about paracetamol or coffee, but after all that I'm guessing you are one of these people who 'doesn't need to do drugs to have a good time'.
    Personally I find greater depth in songs of honor and woe, and great victory.
    As a matter of interest, have you ever listened to Manowar, or are you just bitching about them because you dont like metal and mettlers?
    Have you ever heard Joey DeMaio's slick riffs ?
    or Eric Adams voice, I find it hard to believe that you could possibly put those Oasis twats in the same league if you had.
    I would like to see oasis try to pull off a manowar song, lmao.
    On the other hand I could imagine Manowar doing an interesting rendition of supersonic. XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Manowar better than Oasis? Some of you Metal heads are really taking the piss now.

Better? Who's saying anything about better?

Ancient1 wrote:
    The voice of reason has finally arrived :D

Go Conan!

01_001.JPG

agreed

Arnie Forum request

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Right, I think we can all agree on one thing at this stage:

1: The gods made heavy metal.

2: They saw that it was good.

3. Other bands play, Manowar Kill ...

nadir wrote:
    scouser.tommy , this is the second thread you have whored with your narrow minded opinions. While I appreciate interesting constructive / destructive comments, yours meet neither criteria. It's pitiful drivel like this that keeps me away from 'common' society.
    Manowar lyrics are great for so many reasons, if you don't get it fine, but stop trying to force it at us. In all honesty your points are moot, I mean those Oasis lyrics , holy jebus, if you find relevance or some kind of depth in singing about cocaine, possibly the most uninteresting drug ever created. I'd have more fun singing about paracetamol or coffee, but after all that I'm guessing you are one of these people who 'doesn't need to do drugs to have a good time'.
    Personally I find greater depth in songs of honor and woe, and great victory.
    As a matter of interest, have you ever listened to Manowar, or are you just bitching about them because you dont like metal and mettlers?
    Have you ever heard Joey DeMaio's slick riffs ?
    or Eric Adams voice, I find it hard to believe that you could possibly put those Oasis twats in the same league if you had.
    Personally I find greater depth in songs of honor and woe, and great victory.On the other hand I could imagine Manowar doing an interesting rendition of supersonic. XD

Whored? What the fuc.k are you talking about? That's what the thread is here for, you jerk.
    Just because my opinions are not in agreement with yours, does not mean that they are "narrow-minded". Let's get that straight, yeah?
    And where was the "first" thread that I "whored". Are you talking about the thread that I myself created? Don't bitch about me saying what I want to on a subject in a thread that I created for that very purpose.

"but after all that I'm guessing you are one of these people who 'doesn't need to do drugs to have a good time'."

..And what the fuc.k does that have to do with the price of cabbage? You don't know me, so don't waste your time presuming things like that about me. You say it like abstaining from drugs was a bad thing. And, if you must know, I don't do drugs, no. So what? Am I a "square" ? Am I not one of the kool kids? lol

"It's pitiful drivel like this that keeps me away from 'common' society."

Wow, you're a complete arsehole, are you aware of that? Is everyone else aware of that? "Common society" ? What is your problem? And why do most of the people here seem to have some kind of prejudice against people who come from council estates, btw? You are the one who is spouting "pitiful drivel", you fool, only you are too blind to see it.

"if you don't get it fine, but stop trying to force it at us"

Us? What the fuc.k are you talking about? What "us"? I'm not forcing anything on anyone. You're a fool, you really are.

"Personally I find greater depth in songs of honor and woe, and great victory."

Personally, I don't. That's my fuc.king opinion, and expressing that does not count as "forcing" it on anyone. I could equally accuse you of "forcing" your "narrow-minded" views on me. You're the one who called Oasis "twats". Did I ever stoop to calling Manowar childish names like that? No.

"I would like to see Oasis try to pull off a Manowar song, lmao"

Oh, so your one of those people who thinks that difficulty=quality, is that it? Oh, Manowar's riffs are more technically difficult to play, so that must mean their music is better! Not that that was even what we were debating.

Oh, and can I make something clear to everyone here please? Oasis have about 2 fuc.king songs about cocaine. So get over the whole, "oh, all they write about is cocaine!! ROLLEYES!! " thing, yeah?

You asked me if I don't like metal?
    READ my fuc.king posts, will you? You fool. I've already given examples of several metal bands that I love. If you're going to try to accuse me of being "narrow-minded", at least inform yourself adequately first, will you?

You say you appreciate constructive and destructive comments? Yet you say mine "meet neither criteria", lol. You really are witless, aren't you? By definition it would have to fall into one category or the other, in some measure. lmao

"In all honesty your points are moot,"

lmao, do you even know what that means? You've just said that everyone agrees with my points, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Scouser.tommy banned untill he can post without resorting to a hail of personal abuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement